Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 08:57 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 955

I have a 955 10 ch receiver that is about a year old. The other day, I flipped on the receiver switch and nothing happened. Switched crystals, still nothing. Checked the voltage at the output of the voltage regulator and all was fine. Interestingly enough, it would work off the DSC cord, but from the transmitter, nothing. Swapped in a new receiver and all was fine.

Now the troublesome part. I got the receiver home and put it on the bench, and it worked again. I now have no faith in the receiver. I suspect if it is an intermittant problem, you will likely not find the problem in the service dept. Thoughts? Have you run across this before?
Old 12-30-2004, 10:24 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 955

I have not run across that with that receiver. I would guess it to be worth it to send it in to have it checked out to see if the problem can be located. If you would like an estimate before the repair is completed, state so in a letter with a description of the problem, along with your name, address, and daytime contact information.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:41 PM
MO_Radio_Tech

If the DSC works, then the decode and regulation sections are ok. The problem is in the receiving section.

In the case of receiver failure or intermittant recevier failure, the crystal or the IF filter will be the problem 95% of the time. Either one can be damaged by vibration, crashes, or getting dropped on a hard surface.

The problem often only exibits itself under vibration, such as the engine running. The fact that it worked when you got home makes it sound like this is the case.

If the crystal is indeed good, it is most likely the IF filter. This is easy to find and cheap to fix for JR.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:25 AM
pilott28

Thanks. The engine was not running at the time, so vibration couldn't be the culprit.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:36 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

Actually, it still could be a vibration sensitivity problem, and the folks at JR will surely find it if it is. The IF filter is constructed of little ceramic wafers. They can get cracked or slip and cause problems, like sawtooth waveforms. (you would need a o'scope, and a sig. gen. to see this).

I have a good dual conversion Futaba receiver in my basement right now with a bad filter. If I tap on the filter with a screwdriver it wipes right out. Sometimes it quits altogther. But I tap it again and it comes back. I swapped out the IF filter from another good receiver and problem went away. But I need another filter so both receivers will work!!!

Good luck and have a happy new year.
Good luck.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:37 AM
pilott28

Thanks. Same you you. I'll send it in and see what they find.