Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR Crystal Swapping

Old 07-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Nubie_1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR Crystal Swapping

We were havening this discussion in another part of the forums and Ive come across others who have the same question and concern about this I was told locally by someone who should be in the know that if there was to many on one frequency that I could just buy a set of JR TX and RX crystals and swap them out. But now I have been told here on the forums that there is a law stating this is a no no. So I was wanting some clarification from a Tech or someone with some credentials about this subject.

Thank You for the Your Time
Chris
Old 07-05-2005, 03:01 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: JR Crystal Swapping

If you have the following radios from JR 8103, 9303 or the 10x you can change the complete module to another channel, not just the crystal in the module. JR receivers do not care what channel they are on.

It is against FCC regulations for someone other than a service technition to change the actual crystal in a radio. Here are a few responses by Danny

Danny stating that it is against the law (read the complete thread)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28...anchor/tm.htm#

Another thread on the subject
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3070537/tm.htm

Hope this helps
Old 07-07-2005, 10:34 PM
acrojack202

Just a comment on the crystal swapping subject that may save someone my unfortunate fate.

I made the mistake of using a crystal from a single conversion Rx, a JR955S, in a dual conversion Rx, a JR945S. JR techs will tell you that either type receiver will not function with the wrong type crystal so, with that logic, there should be no way to get in trouble.

Not so.

Both my dual conversion 945's work well enough with a single conversion crystal to pass a field range check; even with the transmitter antenna removed. In fact , I flew two successful flights with the single conversion crystal in the 945S before losing complete control, and my Hangar 9 Edge 540, on the third flight.

No doubt I was remiss in not knowing that the crystal types were not interchangeable. But even after looking through the manuals for my new 10X and my older 10S, and the packaging for the crystal and new receiver, I can find no warning against interchanging types. They are color coded differently; red for the dual conversion and gray for the single conversion. But they are outwardly physically identical and fit either receiver perfectly.

Be careful; its a costly mistake.

Jack

Old 01-19-2006, 04:06 AM
iflidou
My Feedback: (111)

Hi:
I found this thread that is six months old and it touches on a topic to which I need an answer.
I understand that the red jacketed crystals are dual conversion and the grey ones are single conversion - at least for receivers. My question is: HOW DO YOU KNOW WHICH RECEIVER TAKES WHAT CRYSTAL - DUAL OR SINGLE? I have a bunch of 549s, 627s, 910xz, R600, R700 and I want to change a few crystals.

What goes to what? How do I know which one to use?
Thanks.
IFLIdou
Old 01-19-2006, 09:41 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only the 940 and 945 receivers use the dual conversion crystal. All other receivers use single conversion.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:41 PM
iflidou
My Feedback: (111)

I thought that was the case but just wanted to make sure.
Thank you for the prompt post.
IFLIdou
Old 01-25-2006, 09:15 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

The new 9303 I got direct from Horizon had the 05 channel crystals tossed in the box for both TX and RX.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:21 AM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

ORIGINAL: acrojack202

Just a comment on the crystal swapping subject that may save someone my unfortunate fate.

I made the mistake of using a crystal from a single conversion Rx, a JR955S, in a dual conversion Rx, a JR945S. JR techs will tell you that either type receiver will not function with the wrong type crystal so, with that logic, there should be no way to get in trouble.

Not so.

Both my dual conversion 945's work well enough with a single conversion crystal to pass a field range check; even with the transmitter antenna removed. In fact , I flew two successful flights with the single conversion crystal in the 945S before losing complete control, and my Hangar 9 Edge 540, on the third flight.

No doubt I was remiss in not knowing that the crystal types were not interchangeable. But even after looking through the manuals for my new 10X and my older 10S, and the packaging for the crystal and new receiver, I can find no warning against interchanging types. They are color coded differently; red for the dual conversion and gray for the single conversion. But they are outwardly physically identical and fit either receiver perfectly. Be careful; its a costly mistake.

Jack

Interesting. I've tried a JR single conversion crystal in a dual conversion receiver and vice versa and the servos would move a bit on power up but nothing from there....