Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Transmittter conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Prairie Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmittter conversion

I have Heathkit single stick radio. It can't be converted to narrow band because heath is gone. I also have a JR 6 channel transmitter that I no longer use. You see where this is going?

I would like to use the RF board from the JR (it will fit), replacing the old wide band Heathkit RF board.

Is a schematic of the Jr 6 channel transmitter available? (both encoder and RF boards)
If they are proprietary, then what is the voltage reading to the RF board?
Also how is the RF meter driven? And whats the voltage at the RF meter?

Mic
Way too much time on my hands
Old 03-27-2006, 10:48 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmittter conversion

What you are talking about is illegal per the FCC.

Schematics are not available for public release. There are only 3 wires going to an RF deck. Bat voltage, Gnd, and modulation. As for what voltage is going to the meter, it depends on the radio, but can eaisily be found with a voltmeter.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:53 PM
mlancast

Hi, If you goto https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=673213&fcc_id='BRWXP662' you will find documents for the xp622 with pictures and s-matics. And if you go here https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=673213&fcc_id='BRWXP662' you will get a pdf with the entire xp622 information. The ID three letter code for Horizon is BRW and if you type that in it will take you to a page that will show all registered equipment on file with the FCC. Most items that are transmitters start with BRWNET..... and BRWNER.... are recievers.

I doubt this post will stay here for very long, since HH is VERY protective of their products. The new 2.4ghz system is up there also, but they have requested that the information be blocked from public view.

Good Luck,

The happy hacker
Old 03-29-2006, 11:43 AM
mlancast

Question?

Since HH only FCC certifies the transmitter module on the higher end radios ( 347x, 388x, 783, 10 pcm, 10s, 10sx, 10sx2, 1083, 9303 and some variants of these that are computer programmable ), and those radios contain CPU and frequency generating devices for the timing of the CPU, and since the shielding in these radios is minimal, should these transmitters be FCC certified as computing devices under part 15 of the FCC rules.

What is FCC Part 15?

Part 15 is a federal regulation that sets exact limitations on the amount of electromagnetic interference (EMI) allowable from digital computing and other electronic devices as diverse as wristwatches and musical instruments, typewriters and telephones. It was promulgated by the Federal Communications Commission under its authority to regulate the airwaves, especially to limit interference with broadcasting.

All electronic devices (unintentional radiators) that contain clocks/oscillators which operate at a frequency above 9kHz must be tested under FCC part 15 Subpart B, radio frequency rules & regulations. The FCC has broken down Part 15 into two categories, Class A (commercial) and Class B (residential).

The FCC's penalties for non-compliant products include halting all distribution, levy of fines and publication of public notices.

I believe that futaba certifies the complete radio with module for FCC certification.

This is the place to look up certifications for FCC approved devices:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/c...ericSearch.cfm

Manuafacture codes for R/C equipment if you are interested....

JR - Horizon Hobby=BRW

Futaba=AZP

Airtronics=AXY

HiTech=IFH

These are just a few to look at.

This is to help clairify the question on working on your own radio with out a trasmitter module or possible oversight on Horizons part, to get these certified with the FCC also.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Prairie Mike

The reason I asked about the conversion was because a few years ago, after the gold sticker campaign, the radio columnist at RC Report showed several single stick conversions he had made of older radios. Apparently these are illegal?

Regarding my project, The whole thing wouldn't work because the Heathkit Pc board requires 11 volts input. I was planning on sending the completed conversion to Radio south to have it checked out and aligned. But since reading FCC regs, it looks like we can't even change a dual stick transmitter to single stick.

Just more crap from a government out of control. I can't see any reason for limiting what we do BEFORE the PC board. If I want to change the mechanics, it wouldn't change the RF output.....or would it? Isn't that what it's about? As long as the RF output isn't changed what difference does it make?
Old 03-30-2006, 11:22 AM
mlancast

My favorite quote is
It is easier to seek forgiveness, than get permission.
Apply it to whatever you think is questionable. [sm=wink.gif]

Mike
Old 03-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Pile-O-Wood

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think that with a HAM ticket you can do this mod if your RF deck is on the HAM band.