Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR rerceivers getting bad hits

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 01:55 AM
MHall
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR rerceivers getting bad hits

Please help me!!
I have two planes with jr receivers in them and both have been taking hard hits in the past few months. The hits cost me a plane and over $600 in damages the other day. I fly one with a XP652 and the other with a 8103. Both planes have R600's in them. I want to know why when I fly my other planes with the same radios but with Hitec receivers I get no hits. I have had the radios checked. all is good. But, the only two (now one) planes with JR's on board are getting hits. I had a local radio tech bring out a freq scanner to check my channel and we are picking up unknown spikes and also radio traffic from the state highway patrol in the area. These spikes and the talking seem to cover a broad range of channels. I hate to change over to all hitec receivers but my planes are not cheap. Please help me.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:05 AM
Old RC Aviator
My Feedback: (9)

Default Re: JR rerceivers getting bad hits

Originally posted by mahmc1
Please help me!!
I have two planes with jr receivers in them and both have been taking hard hits in the past few months. The hits cost me a plane and over $600 in damages the other day. I fly one with a XP652 and the other with a 8103. Both planes have R600's in them. I want to know why when I fly my other planes with the same radios but with Hitec receivers I get no hits. I have had the radios checked. all is good. But, the only two (now one) planes with JR's on board are getting hits. I had a local radio tech bring out a freq scanner to check my channel and we are picking up unknown spikes and also radio traffic from the state highway patrol in the area. These spikes and the talking seem to cover a broad range of channels. I hate to change over to all hitec receivers but my planes are not cheap. Please help me.
Buy the new receivers. We had a similar problem a few years back with JR receivers. I lost two planes in a pond. I switched to hitech and the problem vanished. The recievers are cheaper than a new plane and engine,servos and darn cheaper than having to pay damages to someone else's property.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:16 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

The answer to the problem is in the info given. You know from the scanner that you are being hit. Find out what channels are getting hit and avoid them. It will not be the whole 72 mHz band. Changing brands may or may not help, changing frequencies will. If I knew there was something hitting me on a particular freq, I would not fly on the channel at that site with any receiver made. I would change freqs.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:18 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the outside interfearance it would be advisable to change to a clear frequncy to cure the problem, regardless of the brand equipment used.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:15 PM
MHall

Yesterday a friends brand new (second flight) spitfire was shot down and also another members beautiful Aeroworks 300 extra. They both did the exact thing as mine and they were using JR receivers like me, but one was on ch. 17 and the other was in the thirty's I think. Mine are on ch. 27 The trouble doesn't seem to be channel selective as receiver filtering selective. The JR receivers seem not to be able to stop the hits near as well as the other brands. I love the JR radios but the receivers are costing the members of our club the loss of planes. Is there ANYTHING that we can do to stop this at the receiver end. We are beginning a case with the AMA and the FCC to see if they can help us locate the interference and correct the problem, But until then we are afraid to fly our planes that have JR receivers.
Don't think in any way that I am against the JR receivers. If I was, I would just replace them. Any other ideas???????
Old 01-07-2003, 02:50 AM
ml3456

Doesn't sound like a receiver! 3 different planes, 3 different channels?? Don't think its a receiver. Known interference! Find the source of the interference.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:35 AM
MHall

I agree that we need to find the interference fast!!!, but ONLY planes with JR receivers have been getting hit. There were about 20 guys flying Sunday and the guys not getting hit or only minor flutters had other brands. I hope it is not the receivers, but that is the only common component with the problem planes.

Who/how to find the interference? We will have to wait and see what the FCC & AMA say.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Old RC Aviator

Default JR receivers

Has anyone contacted JR about this? have any other clubs had this problem? Are there any HAM operators in the vicinity of your field? I had a problem with two planes on JR receivers but just found out there is a HAM radio operator just down the road from our field. Might be worth looking into.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:27 AM
MHall

I was hoping that this would help me find out if JR does have a history of this or not. Nothing better than going out to the masses for info.
I am a "Ham" and have started looking at that also. It is very hard to find the interference because there is no apparent cycle to it and the hits are 1/2 to 2 seconds long. They are very hard to find but we have seen several so far. Our local AMA rep. told us to have our local radio tech come out and start tracking down the interference and keep the AMA informed.
Yes, someone else listed that they also had the same thing only with JR receivers so they changed brands. I don't want to give up on my JR stuff yet.
The hunt continues.........
Old 01-09-2003, 04:45 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

Please, lets show Danny a bit of respect and not circle in and bash JR or any other brand.

If any brand (Hitec, JR, Futaba, Airtronics, etc.) had significantly worse performance than the other brands, how long would they stay in business? Does anybody really think that a brand can sell junk receivers for several years and get away with it? Have they all been crud this long? I doubt it. I would think that the R600 has been used by thousands of people.

Maybe at your location you need a better performing receiver than the older, bottom of the line R600. The newer R700 is also FM, but has much better sensitivity and selectivity. Maybe you need dual conversion where you are. Are the receivers you have been using successfully dual conversion?

At your field, have ALL JR receivers failed and no other brands EVER had any trouble? I doubt it.

I would be suspect of this claim made of any brand.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:50 AM
ml3456

You want to know if JR has a history of this. They don't ! Look at the lack of responses to this post. I agree with Mo-Radio -tech. Thousands out there without problems. Probable other brands getting hit also, but not in a position to crash. Time to look for the cause, not the equipment.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:09 AM
Old RC Aviator

No one is BASHING JR or any other manufacturer here. Lets turn down the sensitivity switch here fellas. I switched receivers because I lost two very expencive aircraft and I will not fly JR again until I find the reason this happened. I have six Futaba radios and a number of others including Airtronics and hitech and NONE of these have so much as twitched at my field. It's a private field so I know who each and every pilot is that flys there. None of them have had any problems with there equipment. They all fly Futaba or Airtronics. I flew there with my JRs for two years without any problem. So we are looking for the reason not trying to blame anyone. I suspect the HAM is the culprit. Both problems happened over water (a pond) maybe that had something to do with it. Who Knows. But I or anyone else never suggested to blame JR or Danny whoever he is.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:54 AM
MHall

Hay guys, lets SLOW DOWN here!!! I am in NO way bashing JR!! I simply wanted to see if anyone else was running into the same troubles and what they did about it. I also wanted to know if JR was seeing a higher than normal complaint volume on this. Like I said in several of my prior posts, I want to KEEP my JR equip. and find what is causing the hits or see if I might simply have a few too many rough flights on my receivers and they are due for retirement.
We are currently trying to find the source of the interference. Hopefully the whole this will come to a close soon. Who knows.
If anybody else has any peaceful ideas about this issue, please let me know.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:06 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

There was a similar thread in the newsgroups about two years ago. It was with Futaba receivers, or at least it appeared that way (3 receivers involved). However, it was only on one channel, whcih they finally found has some interference. They never found the interference source, and just quit using that channel.

It has strong likings to this thread, in that other receivers were flying fine, and only two types of Futaba receivers were involved. Is it possible the variances in designs of the different manufacturers receivers leave some types of interference or signals more prone to causing errors only in certain conditions and on certain designs? Maybe the other receivers are just skating by on a narrow margin, and if the source of the interference changes, they may all start getting hit. The pond seems to be a factor as well, and that could contribute to the whole mess.

What JR receiver types were involved? In the other situation, it was limited to two versions of Futabas receivers if I remember correctly (a google search should show the threads, and you might be able to glean some info from it).

It could just be one of those things. Unusual circumstances, everything comes together in just the right alignment, and one design is just a tad more susceptible than others. The fact that there are thousands and thousands of JR receivers out there with limited problems means it would probably take a small crew of people with the right electronics to find out why this is happening.

The most important thing to do is find the source of interference. That is where the problem is, and it sounds as if you are on top of it already.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:34 PM
BigSky
My Feedback: (11)

Originally posted by Old RC Aviator
Both problems happened over water (a pond) maybe that had something to do with it. Who Knows.
It is very possible to have very isolated areas of interferance. We have one at our field. We don't know what causes the interferance but the area in question has taken a substantually high number of plane crashes. We have since dubbed that area "The Bermuda Triangle" and avoid it altogether.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:21 AM
Old RC Aviator

Both receivers were R600s. We do avoid that area but it's hard because it's just right of final. I have video of a Dehavland Beaver going bonkers over the same area. I don't know what the cause was though. It wasn't my plane. He did save it. I think the pilot said something about rudder or something.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:39 AM
smartman300
My Feedback: (4)

Notice that all these things happening have to do with R600 reciever?

Maybe I need to put my R700 in my new plane....................
Old 08-15-2003, 09:18 AM
Aussie Blue

I am currently living in the United Arab Emirates, and have noticed hits on both JR and Futaba radios that have been attributed to the concrete pumping trucks in use here. They (the trucks) have a R/C unit to control the boom movement. A friend took his plane (futaba gear) to a concrete truck that was being operated with the remote, turned the plane on and the servos went crazy. He then went about 600 mtrs away and the same thing happened. I believe that they operate on 400Mhz. My friend uses 35Mhz, and I have had hits on 72 Mhz. Yes, there is no frequency regulation in place here.
Hope this helps.