Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX7 Receiver problem or safety feature!!!

Old 12-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Gryphon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 Receiver problem or safety feature!!!

Hello again Danny,

I have a small problem with this DX7 receiver, let me know if it is some kind of a built in safety feature instead of a problem.

I fly a high powered electric plane which does have a Medusa Research Universal BEC since it is going to run on 3S, 4S, and 5S lipoly.

I noticed that after I first plug the battery in and hear a beep, if I do not touch any controls on the transmitter for a while, Receiver will stop responding to any and all inputs.

It did it 3 times back to back late at night before my maiden flight, then I called Horizon. While on the phone I was not able to recreate the problem. I thought I might have been too tired and I was not sure of my self.

Today on 2nd day of flying, it did it in front of my friend.

I plugged in the battery with trans on full throttle; we talked for a little while. I then pulled the throttle stick all the way down to arm system and hear the second beep from my Castle Creations 80A ESC. But nothing it made no noise. I moved the elevator and aileron (ELEVONS)....no movement, no throttle either.

We both looked at the two receivers and they had their lights on, so there was power going to the receivers. So this time I was not dreaming and had a witness. He flies the same plane with DX6.

What gives.......Is that a safety feature.....?

For now I believe that once I plug the battery in and make any movement of the sticks before too long that I will be all right. Hoping that it does not affect me in flight.

I am also running the MEDUSA Research OPTO Isolator on the throttle Ch.
The UBEC is plugged in the battery port of receiver.
There are (2) hitec 85MG servos on this 1100+W Stryker.

Please tell me what you think.

Gryphon
Old 12-17-2006, 04:10 PM
MrMel

Default RE: DX7 Receiver problem or safety feature!!!

Same thing happened to me, and a friend as well.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:12 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

Hum?????
Old 12-18-2006, 10:02 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way the system would not respond would be if you loose radio link. However when the radio link is lost the lights on the receiver will go out. I'm not sure what may be happening. Is there a chance that there might be a problem with the BEC providing power to the receiver?
Old 12-18-2006, 04:44 PM
MrMel

Not mine, and I know Will over at HeliFreak (who have the same issue) are using RX battery.
Actually there is more and more reporting this on other forums, ive seen one or two more today.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Gryphon

MY BEC is a brand new unit (2A 6V) and it must be powering just fine, because like I said before the light was on both receivers.

I have flows 3 days with 2 flights per day on this completely new plane/parts.

There have been no other issues except for what I reported. Not even a slight RPM variation/surge that I hear some other people's electric planes have.

For the moment, I feel the plane is safe...I Just unplug the main battery pack and after reconnecting it, I make sure to move anything on the transmitter before too long. In practice I have only been moving elevator/aileron/throttle since my plane is a 3 CH. delta wing.
Radared at 111MPH on 3S and I'm sure 4S was about 125MPH or more, 5S in near future.

Any new ideas Danny, what do you want us to do next time this happens. What do you want us to look for and to help diagnose?

Gryphon