Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

*Servo Operated Choke With DX7*

Old 12-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *Servo Operated Choke With DX7*

I have a G-62 I'm putting on a WH 28% Extra 300LX and I'm planning on getting the DX7. I want to use a servo for the choke so if I have 5 of the channels used for the control surfaced, can I use one of the remaining two channels for the choke? I'm assuming the remaining two channels are probably flaps or landing gear. Can one of those be used for the choke and will they have end point adjustment?
Old 12-27-2006, 07:14 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Servo Operated Choke With DX7*

Zippi - I setup my Extra last night, choke on Ch 5 (Gear). Set end points just like normal. Works fine. No issues. You'll be using AUX 2 for the other Elevator (if you have 2 elevator servos), and AUX1 is the "other" Aileron, if you are using two aileron servos.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

aerobob,

Thanks for the info. That's just what I was looking for. I hope everything works out on these radios. I'm hoping for the best and expecting the worset.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Brian Roth

Hi guys, im trying to do the same thing and use the KNOB to control the choke. I cant figure it out. Its a DX7s and the bird is a 29% Katana. Same servo setup as mentioned by Bob. What do ya think?
Old 12-19-2012, 12:29 PM
AndyKunz

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Brian,

What do you have the knob connected to, either on the Switch Select screen or via a mix KNB > xxx?

What is it doing/not doing for you in the Monitor screen?

Andy
Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Aerocal

ORIGINAL: Brian Roth

Hi guys, im trying to do the same thing and use the KNOB to control the choke. I cant figure it out. Its a DX7s and the bird is a 29% Katana. Same servo setup as mentioned by Bob. What do ya think?
Go to SystemSetup/SwitchSelect and set Gear to Inh and then set Knb(knob) to Gear.Adjust endpoints.Check on Monitor screen.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Brian Roth

Thanks so much! I figured it out. I thought i did this already through Switch select so i reset the model and tried it again and now its working. While i was doing this though another HUGE problem came. All of the sudden all the servos went crazy moving all over but in the same direction. I checked the receiver pack and it read 6.5 volts. This makes me scared. I used a regular volt meter. Is this the wrong way or inaccurate way to measure the batteries voltage?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:34 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks so much! I figured it out. I thought i did this already through Switch select so i reset the model and tried it again and now its working. While i was doing this though another HUGE problem came. All of the sudden all the servos went crazy moving all over but in the same direction. I checked the receiver pack and it read 6.5 volts. This makes me scared. I used a regular volt meter. Is this the wrong way or inaccurate way to measure the batteries voltage?
You need to use an Expanded Scale Voltmeter (ESV) that applies a Load (usually .5a, 1a, 2a). I use the Hangar 9 Voltmeter. I use .5a for NiCad/NiMh and 1a or 2a for LiPos. The idea is to measure the voltage when simulating Current Draw from your servos. Unloaded voltage readings may appear normal, but when a Load is applied, the voltage will drop rapidly if the battery is discharged significantly.

You can also purchase a device like Voltwatch. It is strip of LED's that indicate the status of the charge, Green being he best and Red being the worst. It is very sensitive to subtle voltage changes such as you might see during a Brown Out. You can place it in the Canopy or on the side of the aircraft.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Brian Roth

So what you are saying is that the battery could be charged just enough to move the servos while it reads 6 volts unplugged from the bird and when you plug it in and run servos the battery will show its true value? Forgive me ive been out of the hobby for about five years and am working and living in egypt for the past two years so its very hard to get the above described meters. Thank god for rcuniverse and all you guys with help!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:54 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

So what you are saying is that the battery could be charged just enough to move the servos while it reads 6 volts unplugged from the bird and when you plug it in and run servos the battery will show its true value? Forgive me ive been out of the hobby for about five years and am working and living in egypt for the past two years so its very hard to get the above described meters. Thank god for rcuniverse and all you guys with help!
The more servos attached to the Rx, the higher the load on the battery and the higher the Current Draw. If the servos are Digital, they will draw more Current and if they are Stalled, due to a mechanical problem or tight hinges, they will draw more Current than usual. It all adds up.

The ESV Load is designed to test the battery to see how it behaves under adverse conditions. There are also other testing devices that are even more predictive.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:07 AM
Brian Roth

Is there any kind of meter available that is generic or not usually used for rc use that i might be able to find here in egypt? Again thanks so much!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:05 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A generic digital meter (DVM) with DC current measurement should work. You would have to make or modify a servo extension lead by cutting the red wire and stripping the cut ends.
The DVM's current measurement terminals/leads would be connected to the stripped ends of the red wire. Expect current measurements between 100 milliamps or less to a maximum of about 5 amps.
The meters current measurement functions may use the common terminal, and a special current measurement terminal.