Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

9X lithium battery replacement

Old 07-21-2007, 10:53 AM
RTD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9X lithium battery replacement

Hello Danny and Mac Man UK,
Can you please advise the proper procedure for replacing the little lithium battery. I guess it would be a good thing to change it very few years as a precaution to prevent an accidental loss of data when it does eventually go flat ... what lifespan should I expect from the lithium battery and what conditions affect it? ie. is there anything the user should avoid doing that would be detrimental to that little battery? The radio is an Australian 9X which I've had since october 2003.
thanks and regards
RTD
Old 07-21-2007, 11:02 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: 9X lithium battery replacement

yes this is good info to know....
Old 07-22-2007, 08:19 AM
Mac_Man_UK

From experience the Lithium will last in excess of 5 years. Some 10 series transmitters (10Z, 10S etc) have come to me after 12 years and still the lithium is in the safe zone. However..... Different transmitters have different processors and therefore different current drains. It is difficult to say exactly how long a lithium will last, hence the safety factor of 5 years.

Some of the older 10's have a split pcb system and locate the lithium on the top board. Just by the action of disconnecting the top board will cause a complete memory dump ! I get around this by temporarily soldering in (using fly leads) a spare lithium. So far it hasnt let me down.

However..., if you fly on a regular basis, then the action of turning on your transmitter will supply 5 Volts to the correct areas and will charge up a capacitor. This will retain the charge long enough for the lithium not to be used to any great extent. The lithium is usually 3V and this in fed via a diode to the memory circuits. The 5V is also fed to the same point, hence the diode. Once that 5V across the capacitor starts draining away, once it gets below a certain voltage (about 2.7V IIRC) the diode then becomes forward biased by the litium and that then starts supplying the voltage to the memory.

So the trick to keeping the lithium "unused" is to turn the set on every day or couple of days just for a second or two. If you leave it in a cupboard unused then the lithium will just drain away.

If you wanted to change the lithium yourself, the trick is speed. Open the set up then quickly power it up and then off. This charges that capacitor. remove the pcb and carefuly desolder the old lithium. I use a soldersucker tool, then clean up any excess with solderbraid. Fit the new litium and solder it in place. Clean away any flux and refit the pcb into the set. Power it up and in the case of the 9 series, make sure that "UNADJUST" is NOT displayed in the upper right corner. If it is, then memory settings have been lost and it will need recalibrating at workshop.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:08 AM
RTD

Thankyou Mac Man UK.