Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

*R790 Receiver Went Dead*

Old 07-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *R790 Receiver Went Dead*

I bought the 7202 radio with the R790 SPCM receiver that I put into my WH Extra 300. After only 12 flights the receiver would not come on any more. No light was visable on the receiver. It's a good thing this happened on the ground. Is there any way to reset the receiver or is it in need of service? This is the second one that has had this happen to it in our club this year. Is there a problem with this receiver and if so has it been fix because I'd like to buy another one? If I have to send in the original receipt for warranty work, is it returned to me along with the service item in case I need it again?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Pilot232
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *R790 Receiver Went Dead*

Danny,

Don't you think that Zippi deserves an answer? I Think so!!!!!!

Travis
Old 07-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Zippi

I sent my R790 SPCM receiver to Horizon today. I know that it will be fixed under warranty or replaced but I'm more worried about it happening again. I don't like the idea of the receiver going out and destroying a $2500.00 plane and all you get back is a new receiver which may be as bad as the one that put your plane down. Not much can be done, just get it fixed and hope for the best and expect the worst I guess.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:30 AM
dsnyder

It sounds like you did the right thing sending it in for a check up. Our service center will do what they can for you. It is difficult to say what might be the problem. There have been no trends of any problems with the 790 receiver.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Zippi

dsnyder,

I just got my receiver back from Horizon and I still have the same problem. The receiver has the blue light now but everything is still dead. I rechecked the battery and it was good and I rechecked the side of the switch that plugs into the receiver and it was showing a good voltage. I even swapped out the switch for another one and still nothing. Could there be something wrong with the TX???
Old 08-03-2007, 08:07 PM
bruce88123

Have you tried it with a different TX? Take the RX and a battery to the LHS if you need to and try it there. Or use your TX with a different RX. Move YOUR crystal if you need to.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Have you tried it with a different TX? Take the RX and a battery to the LHS if you need to and try it there. Or use your TX with a different RX. Move YOUR crystal if you need to.
I do have and old FM receiver I could try with the TX. This is a Scan Select system, it uses no crystals.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:43 AM
Zippi

dsnyder,

I just got a new R790 receiver in and tried it on my new plane and when I turn on the TX and then the RX I have a blue light on the RX. I push the "Scan Select" button until the blue light goes off and then push it again and the blue light blinks fast for a couple seconds and then starts blinking slow and never locks in on any channel. Do I need to send the TX in now??? Has there been any other issues with this happening with the TX. I'm sure this is now why I lost a plane. I was thinking it was the receiver but it looks like it may be the TX.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:05 AM
AA5BY

Just a reminder to check the TX modulation scheme is set properly... I don't think the 790 receiver will respond to FM
Old 08-04-2007, 08:06 AM
tadawson

Actually, it won't respond to PPM - both PPM and PCM are FM signals.

- Tim

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

Just a reminder to check the TX modulation scheme is set properly... I don't think the 790 receiver will respond to FM
Old 08-04-2007, 09:12 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: tadawson

Actually, it won't respond to PPM - both PPM and PCM are FM signals.

- Tim

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

Good grief, you know what he meant. This thread isn't a place for THAT discussion.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Zippi

I did mean FM receiver. I use both FM and The SPCM receiver that came with the TX. They use to work fine but I don't know at this point. I have taken all the JR equipment out of the planes I'm going to fly tomorrow and put my old reliable Airtronics back in until this problem is fixed.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Pilot232
My Feedback: (3)

Zippi,

For what it is worth, I am flying a Goldberg Sukhoi with the O.S. 1.20 AX. It has an R790 Scan Select receiver and I am using a JR
XP9303 transmitter with the the JR frequency synthesized transmitter module. I am on a different channel every time I go to the field, about once a week, and have had no problems.

Still wondering why Danny deleted my first post.

Travis
Old 08-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Zippi

Pilot232,

Wish I could say the same about my 7202 system. I started having trouble a few weeks ago with my WH Extra 300LX gasser. I was having some little funny things going on but just thought it was the wind and then started having trouble with the throttle pulsating and a week before my system shut down in my Extra I had another plane go down using the same TX. It just went off on its own and I had no control, it was like it lost the signal. Then one week later which was the next time I went to fly my plane was dead in the water. Nothing would work. If Horizon says the RX is ok then it has to be something in the TX.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Zippi

dsnyder,

Back to my question for dsnyder. Could there be something wrong with the TX and do I need to send it in to be checked???
Old 08-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Zombie

ORIGINAL: Zippi

dsnyder,

I just got a new R790 receiver in and tried it on my new plane and when I turn on the TX and then the RX I have a blue light on the RX. I push the "Scan Select" button until the blue light goes off and then push it again and the blue light blinks fast for a couple seconds and then starts blinking slow and never locks in on any channel.
Yup! Sounds like the TX is set to PPM - as this above is exactly what the R790 RX will do if it doesn't get a PCM signal from the TX. Ask me how I know ...

Check your TX. You may have your PPM and PCM setups backwards for the different receivers you're using. That may be why your other RX is giving you problems also.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Zippi

Zombie,

I don't use the FM receivers anymore. All I have now is the R790 SPCM. This is how I have it set. If there is some other way of setting this that may have changed I'm unaware of it. I have about a dozen flights on my Extra 300 before the problem started.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66260.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	387.6 KB
ID:	735771  
Old 08-05-2007, 07:56 AM
Mac_Man_UK

Zippi,

Try selecting a different channel on you 7202, and rescan your 790. Ensure that you have selected to Transmit RF, the 790 fast blinks during scan. If it switches to slow blinks, then its either no RF from the set, set is on PPM (never hurts to double check), or the receiver is faulty. AS you have had the receiver checked out then its has to be the Tx or the settings.

OR a weak receiver battery ! (I had one of those and it confused the hell out of me for a few minutes)
Old 08-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Zippi

Mac_Man_UK,

I changed receiver batteries, switch, and tried another R790 I have. Not sure what the "Transmit RF" is your referring to. I try changing channels but no good. I tried it on my plane that is FM and set it to PPM and it worked. It just wont work on SPCM. The receiver seems to work ok now when I go through the scan process but nothing works. It's like there is something wrong with the TX but not sure. I'm going to call Horizon on Monday.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Mac_Man_UK

On the 2720 (rest of the world version) after powering up you have the option to Transmit RF or not (by pressing 1 of 2 buttons) so I assume the 7202 is exactly the same.

I take it that you are getting the normal lighting sequence for scanning ? ie the rapid flashing of the blue LED then it switches (in your case) to the slow flash ?

Did the other 790 work ok or not ? If it didnt then it points to the Tx, BUT as you said the system works okay in PPM(FM) then that would discount the Tx !

Really odd this one !
Old 08-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Zippi

Mac_Man_UK,

Once you turn on the TX it shows you the channel and you have to push the clear button to except that channel. If you look up further in this post I posted a pic of the setting I have for my Extra 300. It is clearly set on SPCM. The receivers are acting ok with the normal quick flash and then it goes all blue. It's like it finds the channel and locks in on it but I have no response on any control surface. I have a dozen flights on this plane and I flew the plane on a Saturday and I went back out to fly on Sunday and everything was dead. I didn't change anything on the TX. It has me puzzled.