Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum DX6i

Old 01-31-2008, 03:03 PM
hfenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX6i

What's the "real" expected shipping date? I have one ordered through my LHS. Thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 10:29 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spektrum DX6i

I show them due in late this month to early next. I can't give a firm date until they are in house and ready to ship.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:20 AM
iamman711

my LHS says they be in store 2/29 babeh! yee haw im number 2 on the waiting list gonna get mine soon. whoopdeewhoop !!!

now if its not available because its delayed again ima bust a can of crazy sauce up in here.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:49 PM
GJr.
My Feedback: (3)

Is this radio made by JR for use by Spektrum? I realize the Spektrum DSM components are from Spektrum, but was curious about the hardware and the system programming> Thanks.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:23 PM
iamman711

Hi
I tried to look up that information for you because I have a vague understanding myself but couldn't pin point. But what i do know, if you just read this link

http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Def...ProdID=JRP2915

is that JR incorporates into their radios some of the technology found in the Spektrum. I believe JR owns Spektrum and they are both distributed by Horizon Hobby.

I think the DX6i is more similar in programming to the DX7 than it is to the DX6. I heard it is a lot easier to program than the DX6. Maybe others can further clarify this concern for you. You can also read the product manuals floating on HorizonHobby.com (100+ page manuals in .pdf format)!

Old 02-21-2008, 03:16 PM
dribbe

ORIGINAL: GJr.

Is this radio made by JR for use by Spektrum? I realize the Spektrum DSM components are from Spektrum, but was curious about the hardware and the system programming> Thanks.
No, The SPM6600 DX6i System is not manufactured by JR or by a JR related factory.

Have Fun,
David
Old 02-22-2008, 08:42 PM
GJr.
My Feedback: (3)

Can you tell us who actually manufactures and assembles the DX6i and non-Spektrum components?
Thanks.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The system is a Spektrum brand system throughout.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:16 PM
hfenn

ORIGINAL: dsnyder

I show them due in late this month to early next. I can't give a firm date until they are in house and ready to ship.
Are they in house yet?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:47 PM
iamman711

i just got off the phone with one of my sources at horizon hobby, lady told me they are definitely not going to be delayed anymore. they have them in the warehouse ready to be shipped and will be in LHS this week or the next.

finally good things come to those who wait. make sure you are on the reservations list at your local hobby shop or else you may have to wait longer than necessary. call all your nearby stores and get on the list.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:52 PM
iamman711

Hey all.. I got mine this morning. (southern california) I have a problem though and I don't know if its the AR6200 receiver's fault or what not.

when I hooked up the AR6200 receiver into my Parkzone Typhoon 2 3D all was fine for the 5 minutes I had it all hooked up. an hour later, i plugged in the battery to turn my plane on and lo and behold my propellor started spinning erratically, the motor overheated, the lipo overheated, and esc too. i was quick to catch it but if i waited a few more seconds i might have caught my plane on fire or atleast have severe smoke.

Anyone know what the deal is? I never had this problem with the stock radio system although I did have glitchy interference problems but nothing like this overheating issue.

also, should i dare use the motor again or should i send it in for replacement? how about the li-po do I dare use it again or do I absolutely need to replace it (it got really hot but no protrusion)?

Again, other than the new receiver it is all stock. The propellor didn't get stuck on anything (in fact it shouldn't have been moving because the transmitter was on and in idle position, so it wasn't the failsafe nor was it interference problems). the propellor was spinning erratically, like chugging along vibrating but not making smooth, consistent revolutions. come to think of it and i may be hallucinating but it was spinning the wrong direction. I don't know how you can explain all this because I didn't plug the EC3 connectors (battery -> ESC) reversely or anything.

There's one thing I noticed in the DX6i programming/settings like the EU (europe) and US (united states) power settings. By default, the DX6i is set up for EU power settings, but I changed to US. The manual doesn't really go into detail what the difference between EU and US settings are. I bought this thing in the United States and i live here, so I don't know if this caused my prob.

Maybe the problem is with the AR6200? I wonder... I mean none of these problems happened with stock radio system. Quite a mystery for now.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:08 AM
dribbe

Hi,

Apparently your Speed Control just decided it was time to die (It does happen some times).... It is not really possible for the Rx to command the ESC to smoke!
I don't think the LiPo will really overheat in a short time.

If you are in the warantee time, call support, and see if they can help you out with the ESC.
If you have an Rx battery, unplug the ESC and try the radio with it.

All DX6i ship in EU mode Worldwide. It is full range power... US is a bit more. I have posted more on this in this forum also... you can search for it.

Have fun,
David
Old 02-28-2008, 01:24 AM
iamman711

hi are you saying that if i leave it in EU power mode everything will a-ok? but if i switch to the US setting I will have even better range?

thanks.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM
dribbe

Yes... theory and testing puts the range between 7-12% less for any given conditons. It is fine in either setting.
David
Old 02-28-2008, 01:50 PM
iamman711

im not saying the Rx told the ESC to smoke hehh but is it possible that my AR6200 Rx was defective and drawing more current than it should have, resulting in overheating issue?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:04 PM
dribbe

Not really likely at all.... Most esc's are thermal protected in that mode, and would shut off... not smoke... A simple check with a normal Rx battery will give the answer.

Most likely thing is simple ESC failure. With the quantity of FETs in an esc, failures do happen at boot up from time to time.

David
Old 02-28-2008, 03:12 PM
iamman711

I'll have 2 look up what FET is. I found an anwer [link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511753[/link]here. Is it possible to buy and solder a replacement FET? (I ddint examine my ESC yet because the motor mount screw got too mushy for my screwdriver) But where could i get an FET?

Oh, my ESC never smoked, at least I didn't smell. But I am not really in a hurry to see if the ESC is still working. If i hook up the battery i dont want to further worsen/damage. what is the safest way to check that my electronics are still working.

thanks
Old 02-28-2008, 03:43 PM
dribbe

Double post

Old 02-28-2008, 03:45 PM
dribbe

ORIGINAL: dribbe

ORIGINAL: iamman711

I'll have 2 look up what FET is. I found an anwer [link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511753[/link]here. Is it possible to buy and solder a replacement FET? (I ddint examine my ESC yet because the motor mount screw got too mushy for my screwdriver) But where could i get an FET?

Oh, my ESC never smoked, at least I didn't smell. But I am not really in a hurry to see if the ESC is still working. If i hook up the battery i dont want to further worsen/damage. what is the safest way to check that my electronics are still working.

thanks
when I hooked up the AR6200 receiver into my Parkzone Typhoon 2 3D all was fine for the 5 minutes I had it all hooked up. an hour later, i plugged in the battery to turn my plane on and lo and behold my propellor started spinning erratically, the motor overheated, the lipo overheated, and esc too. i was quick to catch it but if i waited a few more seconds i might have caught my plane on fire or atleast have severe smoke.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The lack of 'severe smoke' led me to conclude that you had some smoke.
Did the prop spin, or just shake back and forth (Two very different things).

Again, I would suggest you plug an Rx battery into your Rx (no ESC) and test the Radio system in iscolation.

If that work, you may try to connect your battery to your esc (no Rx connection) to see if it is quiet (none of the odd behavior you describe). ESC should make boot tones, but not arm tones.
If both of them appear normal separately, they you may want to try them together again.

Based on your description above, sounds like a bad ESC.... long shot could be failed or damaged motor.

Can't think of a way to put this on the Rx.

Start with throttle down, throttle trim down.

Please do some testing!

David

FET's are Feild Effect Transistors.... the do the power switching for the motor in the ESC under microprocessor control.... ESC's are rarely repaired... they are replaced.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:02 PM
iamman711

The propellor rotated (i think counter clockwise if you face the plane) but chugged along vibrating back and forth along the way.

those are some good tips you gave. i'll keep them in mind.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:25 PM
dribbe

In the future, pay attention to the 'arming' tone of the ESC. If it did no arm, It will NOT take a command from the Rx, so the issue would have to be related to the ESC and motor only.