Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR/Spektrum 2.4 GHZ Failsafe

Old 02-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Bruce T.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR/Spektrum 2.4 GHZ Failsafe

Danny,

I am in the process of converting from 72 MHz to 2.4 GHz. I have a 9303 2.4, 2 - 9 ch receivers, 2 - 7 ch receivers, and 2 - 6100 receivers. I have 2 helicopters and everything else I own is sailplanes or electric sailplanes. For a total conversion of my fleet I need about as many more receivers as I already have. I have 2 questions.

1) Is there any chance that JR or Spektrum will come out with 6 or 7 ch receivers that have failsafe on all channels? The 9 Ch is a little heavy and pricey for some of my models and having the aileron go to full deflection on failsafe does not sound like a good solution?
2) Is there another setting for the current 6 and 7 ch receivers that you would recommend for sailplanes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bruce T.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:31 AM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: JR/Spektrum 2.4 GHZ Failsafe

Ah, the 6 and 7 channel receivers already have failsafe built in to all the channels. After you have fully setup your aircraft, do a rebind, put the controls where you want them, power down and that is it. Test by turning on the system, turn off TX and the control surface should move to the position you just set.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:46 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) I can't speak to future products. I'm not sure what you mean by the ailerons going to full deflection on fail safe, all receivers have failsafe on throttle and all other channels hold the previous position.
2) There aren't any other 'settings' for the receivers.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:05 PM
gcshawkey

I am sure my AR7000s only actually return throttle to low when in a failsafe situation, irrespective of positioning all sticks to where I would prefer them to go in failsafe. Surely the other channels merely remain in "last known good" position rather than move to any resets.??
Old 02-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Bruce T.

That is my point. When using 6 or 7 channel receivers with a glider the left aileron plugs into channel 1 wihich is the throttle for a power plane. Then with a failsafe situation, you have the left aileron being driven to one extreme and the other channels holding their last good position. With the 9 channel receiver you can program failsafe positions for all surfaces that will hopefully give the plane a chance to survive. I use flaps down half way with a little rudder. It would be very nice to have the ability for the 6 and 7 channel receivers to be able to program the failsafe positions for all the surfaces.

Bruce T.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:43 PM
gcshawkey

Ah, the 6 and 7 channel receivers already have failsafe built in to all the channels. After you have fully setup your aircraft, do a rebind, put the controls where you want them, power down and that is it. Test by turning on the system, turn off TX and the control surface should move to the position you just set.

But as we said.. they DONT go to the positions you programmed at all....only the throttle does.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:45 AM
pupmeister

All spektrum receivers have a failsafe built in that when it loses the signal it will drive the throttle channel to the position that it is set at during binding. All the other channels go into hold. The positions that are programmed into the receiver during binding for these other channels is the position that the servo is driven to during start up before the receiver connects to the transmitter.

The 9 channel Spektrum and JR 2.4 GHz receivers also have an option of setting the system up that all channels move to a predetermined position when the receiver goes into failsafe.

Cheers
Pupmeister
Old 02-23-2008, 05:05 AM
gcshawkey

Yeh...so the original statement from Danny is not quite right then is it?
Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

ORIGINAL: gcshawkey

Yeh...so the original statement from Danny is not quite right then is it?
Okay since it's the weekend and Pupmeister pretty much nailed it, I'll elaborate; some confusion here and it's due to Spektrum's use of the word we're familiar with, "Failsafe", being used to describe a function with which we're not familiar.

In "Spektrum speak" failsafe drives only the throttle to a predetermined position with all other servos remaining at last commanded position. Danny is correct in stating that all Spektrum receivers have "Failsafe".

What Spektrum calls "Smartsafe", is what we would normally associate with the functions of "Failsafe" that we used to see in our 72MHz stuff in that the servos can all be driven to a predetermined position on signal loss. The failsafe settings/option on the 72MHz radios usually required that the particular manufacturer's implementation of PCM be used in order to work.

Re-binding after the setup allows the controls to remain where set, usually neutral and the throttle where you want it, when the rx is first turned on and before it links with the tx as has been mentioned. After that, they will function as above.

I can't say what the failsafe function would do in a glider mode as I don't fly them and have not looked at the manual for them. Smartsafe is only available on 9 channel and above rx's right now.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Bruce T.

I guess I would like to encourage Horizon to include programable failsafe on all channels (like the 9 channel receivers have) on the 6 and 7 channel receivers. It would be good for us sailplane guys who don't need or have room for a 9 channel receiver on smaller planes. Thanks.

Bruce T.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:37 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You asked if the 6 or 7 channel receivers have any other options, they do not at this time. What I said was correct. Smartsafe is used in all Spektrum aircraft receivers. The 9 channel receivers also have Preset failsafe which is where all channels go to the failsafe position.

Thank you for your feedback.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Bruce T.

Thanks Danny.

Bruce T.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:32 PM
glofuel

Hi all,

Been using JR for years but just started setting up my first spektrum set with the ar7000 rx and found the same problem setting failsafe, I was understanding from the manual that the failsafe should move all servo's to the preset position when binding but it appears only the throttle goes to the fail safe position, other servo's into so called hold position. Not good in my thinking

Ian