Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR Spektrum 2.4 conversion "Module"

Old 02-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR Spektrum 2.4 conversion "Module"

Anyone know for sure if Spektrum has done any redesign on the module case so that it is a better fit in the JR radio. Having converted an older JR 10SXII, I have found the transmitter module to be a very loose fit with poor pin fit. So much so, if I move the module around connection is lost.

I have heard of where guy's tape the modules down or make small wedges to spread the locking tabs, but there still is very little pin engagement into the module.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: JR Spektrum 2.4 conversion "Module"

I took a small piece of the fuzzy side of velcro and stuck it to the side of the module way from the pins. Now when it snaps in place. it has no movement or looseness and the module is pushed towards the side where the pins engage. Some fit tighter than others right from the factory so I think it is a question of minute differences in the plastic when the pieces are molded.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:56 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Please take it from me, if you are having this issue, your module needs to be sent in. There were some modules made incorrectly, and you need to find out if yours was one of them. That's all I know, but I know it for sure. Take it from a Jet guy that nearly lost a 300 flight jet to this issue. The pins might be making a "barely contact" in the module. You are flying on borrowed time if you are one of the modules that is not correct.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Countryboy

I agree Sean. The male pins out of the transmitter simply do not engage the female module receptacle enough to ensure good contact..hence the question of redesign.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:40 PM
seanreit

It's been redesigned, contact Horizon for more info
Old 02-09-2009, 05:10 AM
Countryboy

Sean,

Not that it means anything, but I got this unit from Todd at DW about 3 or 4 months ago. Only being that short of time frame, I would have thought this unit would have been the most up to date available. I guess it's possible Todd could still have had old stock in his inventory.

Just for the hell of it, I took some measurements and found that there is approximately .035" engagement of the pins into the module...take or give a few thousanths.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Countryboy

ORIGINAL: seanreit

It's been redesigned, contact Horizon for more info
According to Horizon service and Todd & Dreamworks, there is no redesigned module. If that's the case, the existing setup is not good enough for my comfort zone and I will look at alternatives before putting the current setup back in the air.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:47 PM
seanreit

Ok, well, I don't know what to tell you. I believe the information I was given, and I am unwilling to share the source. All I can tell you is that I've been doing this a long time, and I have never steered someone in a direction that I have not gone, or am going.

That's about all I can say.

Good Luck with whatever you all decide to do.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Countryboy

Ok, well, I don't know what to tell you. I believe the information I was given, and I am unwilling to share the source. All I can tell you is that I've been doing this a long time, and I have never steered someone in a direction that I have not gone, or am going.

That's about all I can say.

Good Luck with whatever you all decide to do.
Sean,

OK, you have been told one thing and I have been told another by two different sources. I don't doubt your sources credability, but if there has been a redesign, why is it so hush-hush? You state you nearly lost a jet because of the same problem I have described, so bottom line...what did you do to resolve the issue? My take, wedges in the locking tabs, tape or velcro is not the answer and won't do anything for the depth the pins engage the module...which is my main concern.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Countryboy

Since there seems to be no definitive answer to what I feel is a real & risky issue, I took it upon myself to modify the Spektrum module casing. By this mod I was able to triple the pin depth into the module receptacle. The module also now snaps in tight with no movement.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48955.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	1134008  
Old 03-10-2009, 11:12 AM
5150flyer

I just bought this conversion for my JR 8103. The module is a bit loose, but I have no idea about pin contact which seems OK. I did call JR product support and they told me to bend the ears out on the module and it will work fine. Makes me a bit nervous and Don's Hobby Shop* thinks it should be a solid fit. The hobby store is willing to swap modules to help me.

I am a bit disappointed w/ JR as it seems like their QC has dropped recently.

* First class outfit and a great place to buy JR stuff
Old 03-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Stephins
My Feedback: (2)

Today, purchased and returned a module. Would not fit an 8103 or 783 transmitter. Was practically falling out.

Bart
Old 03-14-2009, 10:09 PM
BuschBarber

I have been using it in my 9303 without issue. There are other threads discussing loose fitting Spektrum Modules and cures for the problem.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:28 PM
flicka5

ORIGINAL: Countryboy

Since there seems to be no definitive answer to what I feel is a real & risky issue, I took it upon myself to modify the Spektrum module casing. By this mod I was able to triple the pin depth into the module receptacle. The module also now snaps in tight with no movement.
It isn't clear what or how you modified your module to fit tight and positive??? Any detail info will be appreciated?[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 04-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The real issue is the flanges on the the module case. If you file them slight they will snap inside the recess on the TX case holding your module secure.
Lay the two module face down side by side I think you will see what I mean.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:54 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: Countryboy

Yes we need more pics and details please Contryboy
Freddy
Old 04-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Countryboy

ORIGINAL: R_Belluomini

The real issue is the flanges on the the module case. If you file them slight they will snap inside the recess on the TX case holding your module secure.
Lay the two module face down side by side I think you will see what I mean.

The real issue IMHO is the depth at which the pins out of the transmitter engage the module. Very little contact area plus the fact the module does not snap in tight makes for a very uneasy feeling.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Countryboy

As for the modification to the module casing, what you want to do is lower the circuit board in the case so that it lies as close to the back case half as possible. There are a total of eight circuit board mounting post between the two case halfs {four at the front case half & four at the rear}. These post sandwich the circuit board between the case halfs.

You want to trim the post down in the back case half so that the circuit board sits as low as possible in that case half. This requires cutting out the little bubble section in the back case half where the transmitter pins enter the module. This can be seen in the photo I posted earlier. Once the circuit board is lowered, the mounting post in the front case half need to be extended by the same amount that you removed from the mounting post in the back half of the case in order to trap the circuit board between the case halfs.

I purchased some long nylon spacers at the local hardware store that were slightly larger in diameter than the OD diameter of the mounting post. I cut these to the required length and then drilled the ID of the spacer so that a recess was created so that the spacer would slip fit of the original mounting post in the top case half and extend enough to take up the distance that was created by cutting down the mounting post in the back half.

You will no longer be able to use the screws that originally held the case halfs together. You will need to countersink the holes in the back case half, and then find yourself some long #3 servo mounting screws. Countersink the screw holes in the case half so that when you screw the two case halfs together, the heads of the screws are left standing a little high. What this will do when you install the module back in the transmitter is let the screw heads push every so slightly on the back panel in the transmitter and take up the slack in the module locking tabs.

Also, once this is done, the bind button on the back of the module will actually be recessed inside the case. You will also have to make a small extension to extend the button so that it is exposed outside the case. Sorry I did not take step by step pictures while doing this little modification.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:16 AM
seanreit

Well, care for me to send you a module or two so you can do a step by step?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Countryboy

Well, care for me to send you a module or two so you can do a step by step?
Sean,

If a step by step photo guide will help others possibly save an airplane and you want to send a couple...send them on. PM sent.

Ronnie
Old 04-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Countryboy

Very hard to get a clear picture through the hazed module casing, but I think you can make out the white nylon spacers in the corners.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82294.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	1181692  
Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 PM
misterbill

I too was worried about flying and losing contact with a less than tight fitting module - contacted Horizon and this was what they had to say (Actually, I've flown it for a while since with absolutely no problems)
Hope this helps with peace of mind....Mike

"Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby.

The lengths of the contact pins are more than long enough to ensure complete contact as long as the module is in the transmitter. We have never heard of any situation where the pins lost contact resulting in a loss of signal.

Again, thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby, if you have any further question, please feel free to contact us again.

Jeff
Product Support Team Member
Horizon Hobby"
Old 05-26-2009, 07:37 AM
hq702

Default RE: JR Spektrum 2.4 conversion

after convert to 2.4 of my XP9303 tx i have problem with range check. at 15 paces my plane did not receive any signal at all.

i am using TX/ XP9303 with DSM2 aircraft module system & rx ar7000

anybody outhere have problem like that i fly with this radio for 2 yrs have no problem of course 72 fm.

please help

Hoang

Old 06-18-2009, 05:45 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: JR Spektrum 2.4 conversion

I have just learned of a fault that resulted in loss of signal using the module upgrade on my two 10SXII. After the total loss of my scale P47 i sent both radios and both module sets i had just purchased,one still unopened, to Horizon. They found the antenna wire broken IN THE TX ANTENNNA and that it is a quality/manufacturing fault. He had to take the antenna completely apart to get to it. I was having range issues and was told to rebind and it seemed to cure the problem but i lost the plane on the next round at a contest.
Horizon is pushing the Brown out issue on the recvr battery voltages with major coverage of the Nimh packs made with the "new" battery chemistry. I will start to use five cell packs on everything and they agreed that would be a very suitable precaution. IF you find problems with range checking and or numerous failsafe faults please change to another TX module/ant and range check again. The chances of this issue being encountered again might be slim but it could happen again with newly purchased module/rcvr upgrades.