Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Warranty Service Stinks

Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 AM
bikerhoss
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Warranty Service Stinks

I do agree that if the unit is brand new as soon as it gets in they should just send out a replacement and not try to repair it. Then they can resell the repaired one as "refurbished" because isnt that actually what a new unit thats been repaired is?? Something for them to think about. Here again common sense should rule not what some flow chart designates. I bet alot of the techs feel the same way!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:45 PM
D4379

I am sure they do also. It has to be frustrating for everyone involved.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:33 PM
WRM

I bought a new ar7000 an had to send back and got it back 30 days later. Don't you love it.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:02 AM
D4379

I just hope they get things straightened out soon. Lack of competition will mean higher prices if they go under.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:13 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

talked with Horizon service yesterday - my two receivers are one the way back to me, should see them soon. They originally said 20 working days was their average turnaround time right now, and it was about 19 from the time they were received - so it ended up being just about like I was told when I sent them in. One was for new firmware (AR7000) and one was intermittent.

Slow, yes - but they did what they said they would. Can't complain. I'm just looking forward to having them back. I still have plenty of 72MHz receivers, so I was still flying - good reason not to dump all of my 72 MHz stuff right away!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Bent Nail

I do hate to pile on but… I received my new JR 9303 July 1, 2009. I promptly registered it with JR. Also, this was my first experience with an NIMH battery. I followed the advice of Steve (Hangtime Hobbies’) and ‘Red S.’ for charging new NIMH batteries. However, I decided to make the first charge with the charger that came with the JR system. I then began a discharge cycle using my Triton EQ (500 mAh dischg and 200 chg) the results were less than spectacular. The battery discharge recording that 1200 mAh was removed. Then 1500 mAh charge was put back (not too bad for the second charge). I repeated the process 3 times and noted that the battery never displayed more that 10.2 volts. Less than 24 hours later I turned on the Tx and the battery voltage was 9.5! This was unacceptable. I called JR and the Tech advised me to return the battery and it would be replaced. He also said that forming was not necessary with NIMH. Please no discussion about that! I am sure all arguments are valid but that is not the point. Here is the issue. I returned the Battery July 7, they received it July 10. On the July 15 I called for a status update… I did not realize that turn around time was 20 days… Just to replace a battery! The call taker suggested I call in a week for another update. July 22 I called again and was told the turn around time was 20 days (why was I told to call in a week?)[>:] I asked for a tech to return the call I went in call holding limbo; no auto pickup for return call. I called back and the call taker took my name and number and said a tech would return the call. It is Friday and no return call. I have been a JR customer for a long time and have not experience this type of service. It has been 3 weeks and I have not been able to use my new radio… but all the checks were cashed! I am just annoyed it takes 20 days to replace a battery! Rant over! I think I will just buy another battery!

John M
Old 10-25-2009, 01:55 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Experience and perspective:

When you are a lot older (original dirt) you seem to mellow a little. Guess I have been lucky, Hobby services have been great to me from the inception many years ago. Guess it helps to ask them to waive the estimate process cause of your experience and faith in their billing process. Have always been amazed at how cheep they fix things, and how thorough they are. They tell you in front how long things will be, you always have the option of buying backup gear, which you should anyway.

Perspective: Ever bought a Cad. Diesel, have it blow up in less than the first 1,000 miles and have GM tell you so sorry, to bad, so sad? Ever get out and work for the election of our first black president cause he talks streight, will veto any legislation with ear marks, etc, govern openly and get a Obama who apparently can't be truthfull about anything including his color? Black father and white mother equals half breed, half black, half white, half assed. Now thats really being screwed over. Oh well, lets go flying.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:50 PM
D4379

Life is full of disappointments but your pastimes should not be one of them. These hobby industries must realise they are fighting for precious dollars that are surplus to meeting basic needs. In times like these they need to go the extra mile because people will walk to Futaba or others. I was so frustrated I bought to new batteries from Tower for my 7FG Transmitter and Reciever for less than the reciever for the Spektrum. The system works fine without any issues as it has for the past twenty years. The replacement that Spektrum gave me is still sitting in it's box.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:51 PM
Raylon

ORIGINAL: D4379
Life is full of disappointments but your pastimes should not be one of them.
First of all, I just read this entire thread, and let me say a few things. First of all, are you an adult? I am 19 and think I am more mature than you are. You act like a friggin 3 year old the entire time. Warranty work takes time. Get over it. Don't like it? Go somewhere else. You claim Futaba is all god-like and the answer to all your problems. If I go to the Futaba support forums, I bet I could find quite a few rants just like yours. My point? Almost all companies are like this! You had one bad experience and now you have turned sour for life. Your loss I guess. I have a feeling yours took so long was as said earlier. You probably started whining like a little girl because something didn't go your way.

I built a new computer recently. One of the components was bad. I had to send it in for warranty work. Took slightly over two months. Was I unhappy? Kind of. Did I go to the companies forum and whine about it and make a scene? Heck no! I took it in stride and went on with my life. Something as cheap as it was was not worth wasting my time on. Just like your case.

These hobby industries must realise they are fighting for precious dollars that are surplus to meeting basic needs.
And how exactly does this differ from any other company in the world?

The replacement that Spektrum gave me is still sitting in it's box.
Put it on the Market. make some money. Move to Futaba forum and whine their when something goes wrong. Good luck to ya sir.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:51 AM
D4379

So you have been brought up to be abused by companies who have your money and have provided you with a defective product? The warranty service was terrible at the time this happened. I was not the only one to express these views. As long as people like you act like sheeple they will continue to abuse the customers. Maybe because you are 19 you do not know the value of a dollar yet is that it? Mommy and Daddy paying the freight?

Old 11-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Raylon

So you have been brought up to be abused by companies who have your money and have provided you with a defective product? The warranty service was terrible at the time this happened. I was not the only one to express these views. As long as people like you act like sheeple they will continue to abuse the customers. Maybe because you are 19 you do not know the value of a dollar yet is that it? Mommy and Daddy paying the freight?

They aren't abusing customers. They are doing their best to serve us customers. When some jerk of a customer gets on the phone and starts demanding things, that's when you get pushed to where you belong, the back of the line. They shouldn't have to help people like you, people who thinks they should always be served first, people who think the world belongs to them. Did you ever think that maybe they were servicing other customers warranty works at the same time? That maybe you weren't the only customer that Spektrum has ever had? Please sir, realize the universe doesn't spin aorund you.

And, next time, don't bring up my parents. I pay for everything myself, you -****. My parents don't pay for anything. I pay for my own education, living expenses, and hobbies. You once again prove you are nothing but a common jerk who insults people because you can't use rational thinking or have even something even close to what we call a brain.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:54 PM
D4379

I am sorry six weeks is abuse. Forcing the customers to pay for shipping a defective product is abuse. You would not expect this kind of treatment with a car why anything else? As long as people don't demand service they won't get it. I think waiting three weeks as I did before complaining was more than enough time. Obviously you would rather sit there and be ruled by the whims of a company and that is fine if you want.

As far as jerks who insult I refer you to your first post which came out of the blue months after this was over. It is obvious you demonstrating your imaturity by trolling for trouble.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Raylon

I am sorry six weeks is abuse. Forcing the customers to pay for shipping a defective product is abuse. You would not expect this kind of treatment with a car why anything else? As long as people don't demand service they won't get it. I think waiting three weeks as I did before complaining was more than enough time. Obviously you would rather sit there and be ruled by the whims of a company and that is fine if you want.

As far as jerks who insult I refer you to your first post which came out of the blue months after this was over. It is obvious you demonstrating your imaturity by trolling for trouble.
First of all let me apologize. I did not see that this was months old. I simply saw the last post and it was 5 days before mine. Also, yes, paying for shipping is bad but some things are worse. Also, I am not a troll. I despise trolls.

I saw your argument about not expecting this out of a car warranty, so why not this. But this is like comparing apples to oranges. You paid what, $300 total for your radio system that you may use for a maximum of maybe 5 hours a week? And then you compare that to your car, which you spend on average over $20,000 on, and spend probably 2-3 hours a day in and your life depends on that car and it's thousands of working mechanical components? I just don't think they are on the same playing field.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:55 PM
slarty

You have to bear in mind that Horizon Service Centre is responsible for servicing, repair, replacement etc etc af ALL JR systems sold in the America's, ALL of Spektrum systems sold in the America's.

Unfortunately because of the various defects with the Spektrum DX6i, their priority should be dealing with these first. Admittedly, they do need to speed up their "routine" maintenance but not to the detriment of warranty items & defect items.

The service centre is not that large all things considered.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:32 PM
D4379

They are victims of their own sucess. The fact that warranty work suffered is what bothered me. Routine maintenance or repairs should take a back seat to that work.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:41 AM
dday

horizon has always taken care of any problem in short order and at no charge. in my opinion they have the best customer service of any company that i have ever dealt with.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:02 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Ditto on the service stinks. I could not even get them to respond on their call back set up. Its been weeks. Yeah, I know, could have given them the wrong number or something. But I did the call back thing several times, not just once. So yeah, they stink.

Chip
Old 12-03-2009, 12:36 PM
ChiefK

I'm with dday. Been flying with Spektrum equipment for two years now. Haven't needed a whole lot of service, but on the couple of occasions that I did have a question or need something checked out, I've never had a problem with the service at Horizon or the communications with them. Don't know that I'd say they have the best customer service of any company I ever dealt with (my bar is set pretty high to meet that criteria), but they're very good and nowhere near the worst.

ChiefK
Old 12-03-2009, 12:40 PM
JetCatJimmy

I am definitely in agreement with Chief and dday. Great service and extremely helpful. Even with programming my radio. They always go out of their way to assist whenever possible.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:06 PM
D4379

To be Fair to Horizon when I called for technical assistance they were good. It was when I actualy had to send something in for warranty service that I had the problem.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Ditto on service. Could not get a telephone answer, nor even a telephone call back. I'll jsut wait a year or so til they get their act together again. Lots of unforeseen problems, perhaps bad electronics here and there, and so on. Does not matter, the results are the same. And the customer results are unsatisfactory.

Cheers,

Chip