Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Dx7 throttle kill switch

Old 08-10-2009, 01:45 PM
jdkxtreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dx7 throttle kill switch

I have read the manual a few times and looked on here. I am sure I am just missing something. I am in the process of putting all of my planes on my new dx7..I have having a hard time trying to find how to activate the throttle kill..On my dx61 it was easy but I am lost on this one
Old 08-10-2009, 01:59 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dx7 throttle kill switch

Throttle Kill on a DX7 is a bit awkward. You activate it through one of the Program Settings. Once it is Enabled, you Start the engine, Use the Throttle Trim to set the Idle speed, and then to Kill the engine, you hold the Throttle Trim in the Down position, without letting go of the Throttle Trim Lever, until the Trim reaches the bottom of the scale. Before you shut off the Tx, press the Throttle Trim Lever Up, one click, and the Throttle Trim will return to the Idle position.

If you let go of the Throttle Trim before the Throttle Trim goes all the way down the scale, it will just change the Idle setting and it won't Kill the Engine.

I do not own a DX7, but I have done this many times with those I have Trained. I believe you have to hold down the Left two buttons, on the face of the Tx, and then turn on the Tx to get at the Throttle Kill setting. If that is not the right procedure, then you just turn on the Tx and hold down the left two buttons on the Tx to get to the Programming Menu and scroll until you get to Throttle Kill.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:01 PM
jdkxtreme

Thank you..
Old 08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
BuschBarber

Thanks!! I normally have downloaded copies of manuals for some of the more popular Tx's so I can specifically identify the Page number in the manual to look at, for answers to questions that come up.

While I like the DX7, there is another annoying feature. The Trainer Switch is one of the Levers on either side of the Antenna. It is a awkward spot for the Trainer Switch. As a Trainer, it is difficult to press and hold this lever and still keep control of the Throttle and Rudder, while Training someone, especially if they are trying to Land or Take Off. When you Take Control of the aircraft away from the Trainee, you quickly let go of the Trainer Switch and then quickly grab the Throttle/Rudder Stick. It is not an easy transition, especially if you are trying to save the aircraft from crashing.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:16 PM
jdkxtreme

I found it on page 37 I think..The trainer switch sounds no different then the way I was taught.." PAssing the radio back and forth"..lol
Old 08-10-2009, 05:23 PM
mmn
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: jdkxtreme

I have read the manual a few times and looked on here. I am sure I am just missing something. I am in the process of putting all of my planes on my new dx7..I have having a hard time trying to find how to activate the throttle kill..On my dx61 it was easy but I am lost on this one
There is no pre-programmed kill switch on the DX7. What I did was program the AUX2 (or other unused) switch to a mix with the throttle that's 0% in the forward position and 30% in the back position. It essentially is inactive in the fwd position and cuts the throttle by 30% in the back position. You will have to experiment with what's a good number with your engine if you do this.

If you need want more detail you can send me a PM.

Regards
Michael
Old 08-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah when I moved over from Futaba, I was kind of wondering how come there wasn't a throttle kill function on the DX-7. Found out later as I moved to the X9303 and now a 12X, that Spektrum/JR just don't offer that in a canned function.

I wasn't fond of the low throttle trim kill function either as once setup, I don't touch the throttle trim but set what I want for idle RPM and use a mix or throttle curve to kick up the RPM for a flight idle. Also, gassers are extremely touchy on the low end so you don't wanna be messing with the throttle trim if you don't have to...

The solution is the throttle/throttle mix as suggested, but pay attention to which mix number you use as the two last ones are the only ones with trim following and different mix numbers allow you access to different switches, so check 'em all to see which one will let you use the switch you want.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:30 PM
ppkk

There is no pre-programmed kill switch on the DX7. What I did was program the AUX2 (or other unused) switch to a mix with the throttle that's 0% in the forward position and 30% in the back position. It essentially is inactive in the fwd position and cuts the throttle by 30% in the back position. You will have to experiment with what's a good number with your engine if you do this.

If you need want more detail you can send me a PM.

Regards
Michael
I would very much appreciate more details on how to do this.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:18 PM
BuschBarber

To enable Throttle Recovery ( it should be called Throttle Cut), you hold down the two left buttons on the Tx and turn on the Tx Switch. Navigate to Throttle Recovery and Enable it. Once it is Enabled, when you wish to Kill the engine, you hold the Throttle Trim button Down until the engine Quits. Then, you push the Throttle Trim up one click and it returns to your previously set Idle setting. It is Time Consuming to Kill the engine, but it works.

It is important that when you originally set up the Throttle Travel, pushing the Throttle Trim all the way down closes the barrel completely and Kills the engine. If not, you need to adjust it so that it does.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:21 PM
ppkk

Rich,

Thanks for the response. Actually I get the part that you just explained, but from Michael's post it seems there is another way of doing this through some programming. That is really what I wanted to get some more information about. If through some programming I can kill the engine more easily then I'd want to go that route.

I wonder why the DX7 doesn't have a more straight forward kill switch as standard...
Old 11-27-2009, 08:33 PM
pilotpete2

You can use a P-mix as a throttle kill on the DX7. It involves making a throttle to throttle mix and setting the correct rates in the mix.
This is highly advisable, since a digital trim tends to be too slow for killing the engine in an emergency.
I'm away from home at the moment, so I don't have access to the recipe for the mix, but will update the thread when I'm back home.
Pete
Old 11-27-2009, 08:42 PM
BuschBarber

As far as Programming goes, the more higher end you go with the Tx, the more options for programming. You will see the same limitations with other manufacturer's lower end Tx's. Actually, the DX7 is closer to the middle as far as features and performance. It looks like Airtronics and Hitec are offering higher end Tx's at lower prices. There are probably others, as well.

I think Michael has found a way to use the programming you have to make the Throttle Cut easier to implement.

I train new pilots all summer long, on Tuesday evenings. The one annoying feature of the DX7 is the placement of the Trainer Switch. When using the DX7 as the Master, it is difficult to hold the Trainer Switch and still be able to control Throttle/Rudder, especially if you are teaching someone to Land or Takeoff. I would attach a wire to the hole in the Trainer Switch and bend it around the back of the Tx. That way, you can pull down on the wire to turn on and hold the Trainer Switch.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:48 PM
mmn
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: ppkk
I would very much appreciate more details on how to do this.

Thanks.
[PROG.MIX1]
>AUX2 -> THRO ON
RATE: + 28%
0%

SW:ON
OFFSET: 0

This essentially makes the throttle a slave to the AUX2 switch. When the AUX2 switch is in the 0 (up) position the throttle is normal so you set your normal throttle operating range with the AUX2 switch in this position, and when it's in the 1(down) position the throttle is closed. With the throttle stick all the way down and the trim set to proper idle, flip the AUX2 switch to 1 and adjust the rate with the increase/decrease button until the engine stops. The 28% number has worked for me with two different engines.

Don't forget to flip it back up when the engine stops or you'll have difficulty getting it to start. Ask me how I know...

Regards
Michael
Old 11-28-2009, 08:44 AM
ppkk

Michael,

This is great, thanks for posting the details. I'll give it a try!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 PM
flyboy0608

Hello,..

I noticed that you may know how to create a throttle kill switch on my DX7. I myself am not having much luck. Can you or anyone else teach me how to do this. I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I tried doing this what someone suggested but id doesn't seem to work.

I tried doing this,.....
[PROG.MIX1]
>AUX2 -> THRO ON
RATE: + 28%
0%

SW:ON
OFFSET: 0

Alex
Old 11-23-2010, 08:12 PM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,

Is this throttle trim ability available on a DX8?
Old 11-24-2010, 03:57 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

flyboy

Perhaps you're using AUX2 for something else, and that negates this function?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:33 AM
don785

HOW DO YOU PROGRAM A DX7 TO TURN THE OPTO SWITCH ON AND OFF USING THE GEAR CHANNEL?
Old 07-18-2011, 03:57 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: don785

HOW DO YOU PROGRAM A DX7 TO TURN THE OPTO SWITCH ON AND OFF USING THE GEAR CHANNEL?
One way is to plug the Opto Switch into the Gear channel.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 AM
beyma21

hello i instaled an opto kill switch to my dx7se with ar7000 receiver and i have a problem with is the opto is on for 5sec if none of the stick is moving providing power to the ignition if i dont move any of the sticks the kill switch turns off and no power to the ignition.I pyt it in AUX2 and GEAR channel and the same thing is happening could anyone please tell me what i do wrong?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: beyma21

hello i instaled an opto kill switch to my dx7se with ar7000 receiver and i have a problem with is the opto is on for 5sec if none of the stick is moving providing power to the ignition if i dont move any of the sticks the kill switch turns off and no power to the ignition.I pyt it in AUX2 and GEAR channel and the same thing is happening could anyone please tell me what i do wrong?
That is a Safety feature of the Opto Kill switch. If you turn off the Ignition and turn it On, again, it Resets it. I do not believe you can adjust or disable that feature. Ask the mfg.