Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum AR9100 RX question...

Old 09-15-2009, 09:45 PM
buzzthetower1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum AR9100 RX question...

I am testing an AR9100 in a giant scale plane using only 1 battery plugged into the battery 1 plug. I noticed the blue "battery 1" LED flickering under load when I move the servos to their extreme positions. The orange LEDs in the 3 external receivers stay lit constantly and the servos seem to be getting adequate power to function properly.

Should I be concerned about this flickering blue LED? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-15-2009, 10:28 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum AR9100 RX question...

Heavy draw is heavy draw. One thing we haven't talked about is servo OVERdraw.... That happens when your servo reaches the maximum throw where the surface stops, but the servo keeps pushing hard. It's like when your carburetor hits maximum throw when it has only gone 2/3rds of the available travel. You need to reset your travel then so your servo isn't always buzzing.

Remember to do the same to your control surfaces. This may not stop what you are seeing, but at least you will know that you're doing everything you can to make sure you're not pulling Amps unnecessarily.

Jim
Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 AM
buzzthetower1

Excellent suggestion, however I am not driving the control surface or the servo to it's maximum extension (to a stall) and everything travels smoothly. The flickering also happens on low rates, but not to the same extent. The flickering seems to have more to do with how fast I move the stick vs. how far the throw is. My concern is the possibility that the battery and regulator are not able to keep up and are loosing voltage, however the only indication I can see is the flickering blue light.

Has anyone experienced a similar occurrence and has a higher power battery / regulator solved the flickering?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

The 9100's will pull power from the battery with the highest voltage first. If one is significantly different, you may only see one light.

I see you posting other questions about Hitec servos and Li-Po voltages in other threads, make sure your regulators are up to the task if running Li-Po's and regs.

A123 batteries are really the way to go with this rx setup....[8D]
Old 09-16-2009, 04:35 PM
buzzthetower1

I am only using 1 battery and regulator at this point, so I would think the "batt 1" LED should remain constant because there is no other battery to switch to.

The purpose of this test was to see if 1 Lipo and regulator would actually be enough to fly the plane should the second battery / regulator fail in flight. The flickering blue LED suggests it is not, however I was wondering if anyone could confirm my suspicion.

I am looking into A123s but want to make sure this will solve my flickering LED problem before spending the money.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:42 AM
buzzthetower1

So I performed so more tests tonight and did not get the expected results.

Using an analogue volt meter between the regulator and the AR9100 I found no change in voltage when moving the servos. This means it's not the voltage regulator or LiPo at fault as I expected.

I hooked the volt meter to an open channel on the AR9100 and noticed a tiny drop in voltage followed by a spike of about 1 volt when moving the servos. (this corresponds with the flickering led)

After more careful observation the flickering occurs when the servo comes to a stop, either at the end of the throw (both high rate or low rate) and when the servo returns to center. This is most apparent when moving the ailerons which are driven by four HS-5645. (2 per aileron) The servos are adjusted properly to not be fighting each other through the throw, and there is no binding or unusual resistance on the control surface.

I tried hooking a 4500mah nicad to the RX and had the same results.

I hooked the Lipo & regulator to Batt 1 and the nicad to Batt 2 and had the same fluctuation in power from the AR9100.

Any ideas?
Old 10-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am considering installing two Spektrum VR6010 Voltage Regulators to my AR9100 Rx with dual 4500 NiMH 6V packs since they charge to 7+ volts at full charge. I am wondering what happens when my battery voltage drops below 6V? Will the system continue to work below the 6V output voltage of the regulator or will the system simply switch to the redundant 6V battery link? My other question is.....do I even need the regulators using Hitec 5645 digital servos. Will they handle the 7+ volts? With a high current draw situation I know the battery voltage will drop below 6V during heavy usage.