Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

9303 turned on in sun

Old 09-26-2009, 08:03 PM
T Erickson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9303 turned on in sun

Left my 2.4 9303 in the hot sun for an hour at the fun fly today. Came back to find it turned on with the switch OFF. I usually leave the tx under a wing on hot days, but not this time. Disconnecting battery turned it off but came back on when plugged back in. Tx was HOT and had that hot electrical smell, needless to say I was done flying for the day. Get home now to find it working perfectly! Of course now I've got trust issues. anyone had similiar experience or got ideas? Thor.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:17 PM
shizack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 9303 turned on in sun

Just a theory. OK, hypothesis.

Modern electronics don't really have a true on/off switch anymore. They tend to use a chip or transistor or something that allows current to pass when it reaches a certain voltage, many times 5.5V.

Flipping the switch applies voltage to this component, allowing current to pass through to the innards of the device.

Heat lowers electrical resistance, allowing more juice to flow through circuits. Hence the "downward spiral of doom" when a component overheats in an esc or such. More current=more heat=more current...

I bet your switching diode/transistor/whatever got overheated and allowed switching current to trigger it "on". Apparently it wasn't damaged, and when it cooled off it functioned normally. I've seen this happen with an IR thermometer I left in my vehicle recently on a 100 degree day. I had to remove the battery and let it cool down before it worked again.

Keep an eye on it and watch for unexplainable battery drain. I bet it's fine though.