Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

EPA on 8103

Old 10-14-2009, 10:40 PM
mountainroad
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPA on 8103

I have a 8103 radio and am trying to set up a throttle servo. I can use the end point adjustment to get it where I want, but then I get full servo movment with only 1/2 stick movment. Is there a way to fix this? I do have the linkage set up to compensate for as much as possible.
Thanks for your help.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:48 PM
FLPilot
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: EPA on 8103

Review this.............. Post # 16

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8673009/tm.htm
Old 10-14-2009, 11:31 PM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

[8D] Check your Program Mix...you might have a Throttle >Throttle mix. Do a MDL reset..Start from scratch, this way every mix is IHN..

Codimasta
AMA 11269
Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I set the Throttle Trim and Throttle Stick to Zero. Leave the Subtrim at Zero. Set the EPA, for Low and High Throttle to 100%. Set the Servo Arm at 45deg from Neutral in the direction of Low Throttle. Close the Carb Barrel and lock in the Throttle Pushrod to the Servo Arm and Throttle Arm. Leave the Throttle Trim at Zero and move the Throttle Stick up until the Carb Barrel is fully open and not binding. Lower or Raise the EPA for High Throttle until the Carb Barrel is fully open when the Throttle Stick is at Max. If you have to lower the EPA, for High Throttle, more than 50%, you need to attach the Throttle Pushrod one hole further In on the Servo Arm and start this procedure again. If you have to set the EPA, for the Throttle, to the maximum percentage and the Throttle Barrel is still not fully open, then you need to attach the Throttle Pushrod Out one hole on the servo arm and start this procedure again.

Once you can move the Throttle Stick from Low Throttle to High Throttle and the Carb Barrel is Closing fully and Opening fully, with the EPA for both High Throttle and Low Throttle at 75% or higher, then you are almost done.

For most Tx's, the Throttle Trim only affects Low Throttle. If the EPA numbers are too Low, the Throttle Trim has virtually no affect.

If you have Throttle Cut on your Tx, you can set that now. Normally, when you press the Throttle Cut Button or Switch, the Carb Barrel closes completely, shutting off the engine. When you let go of the Throttle Cut Button or Switch, the Carb Barrel moves back to your Idle Setting.

You can now move the Throttle Trim to the Neutral Setting, start the engine, and adjust the Throttle Trim until the engine Idles properly. If the Throttle Trim has to be set Too Low or Too High to achieve a proper Idle, you can adjust the EPA until the Throttle Trim is just below Half.

This procedure has always worked for me.

If your Tx programming has Throttle Curve capability, you can adjust the Curve so you get a Linear Response from the engine as you move the Throttle Stick. As you move the Throttle Stick, from Low to High, the engine RPM should increase at the same rate. If you move the Throttle Stick a significant amount and the engine RPM does not change, then your Throttle Response is not Linear.