Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum range check

Old 10-20-2009, 09:19 AM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum range check

I am new to 2.4GHz and I am having trouble getting a clean range check. While I was at the flying field doing my range check I had forgotten my manual at home.

I remembered that I needed to be 90 feet from the plane. However, I missed the part about facing the plane.

With my body between the TX and the plane I couldn’t get 20 feet from the plane without it going into failsafe.

Using the data logger I was getting hundreds of fades (200-300+) and 6-10 holds within just a few minutes of testing.

How critical is it that you face the plane during the range check? Does it make the difference between a complete failure and a clean range check?

I did some testing yesterday and it seemed to do okay while I was facing the plane. I am going to test today only while facing the plane and see if I can get acceptable results.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:30 AM
shizack

Default RE: Spektrum range check

If the plane is on the ground, you may be experiencing what is known as shadowing. The signal from the TX may be getting scrambled between the ground and the RX.

Set the plane up on a cardboard box about a foot off the ground and try it.

I couldn't get 25 feet from my heli without failing the range test. I set it on a box and range test for days.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:50 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point!

Jimbo

When coming toward you, rightside up or upside down, the low wing gets the stick. That's the LAW and it never changes, EVER.

Jim, AMA 543443
WACO Brotherhood #86
Old 10-20-2009, 06:19 PM
airbusdrvr

And stay clear of metal fences, I have heard.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At the risk of quoting the manual, while range testing you should be facing the plane. Hold the transmitter in the same position as you would if flying. Also, angle the transmitter antenna as you normally do. (Hopefully you don’t normally point the antenna at the plane.) Press the bind/range button only when you are ready to test not while walking away.

Intervening objects such as tall grass, people, safety cages, etc. will worsen the logger results. I try to find a spot away from fences and sun shelters where I have a clear line-of-sight to the plane. When you take logger readings, you should have someone rotate the plane 360 degrees over a one minute period. If you follow this procedure, which is essentially the manual, your fades should be less than 100 and you should have no frame losses or holds. My radios meet these figures consistently. If you can’t get these logger values, then you have a problem. I wouldn’t fly with the figures you quoted.

Allan

Old 10-21-2009, 08:38 AM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

Thanks for the responses guys!

I did another range check last night exactly per the instructions and it passed without any frame losses or holds. very low numbers on the fades.

It looks like I am in business!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:14 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Excellent, great to hear!

Jimbo

Coming toward you, rightside up or upside down, the low wing gets the stick. That's the LAW, and it never changes, EVER.