Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR9503 noise????

Old 07-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Saito_56
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR9503 noise????

After using Futaba for almost 10 years, I have switched to JR, a 9503 based on a few good friends input. I picked it up on June 29th from my local Hobby Shop, put it on charge, and yesterday I got time to start programming.

It was at that point I noticed a problem with the right stick. It makes a funny noise. I made a short video of it, anyone who wants to watch and give my their opinion, feel free! A email and link to the video has been sent to Horizon.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd1D-1fNKzM[/youtube]
Old 07-03-2010, 06:56 AM
allans
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: JR9503 noise????

I have the same radio - I love it- It does not make that noise or any other noise.

Send it to Horizon - The Service is OUTSTANDING.

Allan
Old 07-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Saito_56

I think someplace in the back of my head, I know it will have to go back, just disappointed that I will have to send it back. Been waiting for a radio upgrade for a long time. I will contact Horizon Monday and get their input.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:26 AM
allans
My Feedback: (11)

I sent an 8103 back about 3 weeks ago. They told me the turn around time in there shop was 4-5 days . They also repair or replaced more than I asked for - so I was additionally grateful.

In reality they shipped back to me I less than 24 hours. I paid for the fastest shipping to them and then back to me. To limit the time I was without it.

In that time I converted some planes to my 9303 . I had a very positive experience. Will stay with the 9303 for ever.

You never know when a bad break is a good break.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Saito_56

I based my choice on the 9503 after talking with some club members who use it. Use to be a big Futaba fan, but thought I would go with this one. My luck I get one that has a problem, I guess thats just the luck of the draw, anything built by man can have a problem. On the bright side, I can always re-bind my plane to my Futaba 8U with the Spektrum module. It is for sale here on RCU, but may have to put it back in service.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Weird noise for sure and while it is technically correct that Horizon is responsible for the warranty and they will fix you up no problem, I'd hit up the LHS for an exchange first. Most reputable LHS's will do new defective exchanges when it's obvious there is a problem and it's exchanged for an identical item.

Just my personal opinion but if the seller won't exchange it when you just bought the thing, I'd be looking for a different hobby shop....
Old 07-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Saito_56

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Weird noise for sure and while it is technically correct that Horizon is responsible for the warranty and they will fix you up no problem, I'd hit up the LHS for an exchange first. Most reputable LHS's will do new defective exchanges when it's obvious there is a problem and it's exchanged for an identical item.

Just my personal opinion but if the seller won't exchange it when you just bought the thing, I'd be looking for a different hobby shop....
One of our club members work for the shop, I will talk to him Monday first before Horizon, he is out of town for the 4th along with half of the country!
I know they had none in stock, mine was special ordered and filled by Horizon when they got them in stock. I don't know if they got their regular stock in or not, I know they did have some on order.

Thing is I really like this radio, hope that this was just a fluke!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:49 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

I can hear the return spring making noise, probably rubbing against something. Those are the springs that return the right stick to center every time you move it. I doubt it would hurt anything, but I'm sure it's a bit distracting for you. I'm sure you could find it yourself, or you could send it in. If you send it in, have them check it in case it's one of the 9503's included in the service bulletin a while back. That's not a big deal either, but it doesn't hurt to get it straightened out so it's perfect.

Either way, you're probably fine the way it is. You could always wait until winter and then send it in while you're not in need of your radio on a daily basis. Sending it in right now seems like it would affect your flying during the best month of the year.

~ Jim ~
Old 07-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Saito_56

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

I can hear the return spring making noise, probably rubbing against something. Those are the springs that return the right stick to center every time you move it. I doubt it would hurt anything, but I'm sure it's a bit distracting for you. I'm sure you could find it yourself, or you could send it in. If you send it in, have them check it in case it's one of the 9503's included in the service bulletin a while back. That's not a big deal either, but it doesn't hurt to get it straightened out so it's perfect.

Either way, you're probably fine the way it is. You could always wait until winter and then send it in while you're not in need of your radio on a daily basis. Sending it in right now seems like it would affect your flying during the best month of the year.

~ Jim ~
That is what I was thinking, springs, it has a metallic sound. I figure after paying $$$ for the radio it should be perfect. This is only the second NEW radio I have owned, first one was a Futaba Skysport! It is distracting, maybe not when a 50cc is running, but I know it's there. I only have vision in one eye, so digging into the back of this radio would not be good for it's health. Monday I will do some phone calls, Local HS, then Horizon.

As for winter, I just retired and live in Florida, 24/7/365 flying, well almost!
Old 07-06-2010, 04:35 AM
richgrow

Saito_56,

[&:][X(][X(]I've had 3 JR 9303 radios with Zero Problems !!! Sold one with a Plane 72 mhz and Plan sell last converted 72 to 2.4 Ghz Radio with Plane soon to recoup Some My Money. I really Love 9303 so going upgrade is Big Step from Super Radio I really love to fly with.[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif] My Flying Buddy wants to Buy My Real 9303 2.4 Ghz so I'll buy one New 11X JR Radios. What I can tell You is Horizon is Very Quick and Super Backs ALL its JR Products like Few RC Company Out there do.[sm=omg_smile.gif][sm=eek.gif][sm=idea.gif] I think They are #1 when comes Customer Satifaction with way back there Entire JR Line from Radios, to Recievers, Servos Etc. I Just had Saito 82 fixed under warantee and 9 Channel Reciever Repaired for Free and I Rate Horizon 4 ACES.[sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif] After Service After Sale from Horizon on Their Products You'll Be Firmly SOLD on Horizon & JR Products DUE Their Service Dept I'm sure.

See You are or were Cavalry??? I'm Retired ARMY Aviation and was in 1st of 4th Cavalry on one my assignments during 23 Year Career.

1SG Richard Grow
richgrow
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37253.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1463944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42247.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1463945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77342.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1463946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98267.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1463947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70979.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	1463948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91705.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1463949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62811.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1463950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf97063.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1463951  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi60624.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1463952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp95207.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1463953  
Old 07-06-2010, 05:33 AM
Saito_56

Yes I was drafted and did one tour with the Cav in Vietnam, 8 December 1969 to 8 December 1970.

I have emailed Horizon and sent them a link to my little video and they said to send it back in. I waited until the 4th of July holiday was over to see if my local hobby shop had one in stock. If they did they said they would swap mine out. They did not have any in stock though, so today I will be going down to the post office and sending it back.

That is some collection of planes you have, I will have to show my wife, she doesn't understand having more than one. You know the old argument, "You can only fly one at a time"![:@]

Everyone I have spoken to says the same thing, that Horizon has fast turn around. We shall see. From the little programming I did get done, I do like the 9503.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:21 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

If you have a great wife that you really want to keep, meet her halfway and don't lose sight of the fact that she's more important than planes.

2 or 3 at a time is usually plenty for most guys. And most marriages.

2 or 3 planes, not wives. Just wanted to be clear on that point.

~ Jim ~
Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Cherokee Flyer

It almost sounds like the springs for centering tension were set to high. They are adjustable, and easily done per the manual.

L.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Saito_56

There is something wrong in there, sounds like a spring issue. I have been reading the manual, and did see how to adjust the tension. Only problem is I only have sight in one eye, no depth perception, and hard to see small items.
This radio is only my second brand new one, the other was a skysport way back when I first learned to fly. I have had two other Futaba's both used, but did a good job. I would rather just send it in and let them take the chance of messing something up inside, rather than me!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Saito_56

One wife is more than enough! Right now I am down to one airplane in flying condition, the other plane is in the closet, I sold the Saito off of it a year or two ago.
Here is a picture of my flyer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23427.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1463960  
Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

You only have sight in one eye? WOW, and you're flying RC. That's no small deal. My wife also has sight in only one eye.
She tried for years to fly the planes in my simulator, but it's incredibly hard to fly RC with just one eye. Learning to do so is a real accomplishment.

Good for you!

As far as the springs go, I don't think it's a big deal and you can probably adjust the springs per the manual. Because they tell you how to do this in the manual, it should not affect the warranty at all.

~ J ~
Old 07-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Saito_56

Yes, in the fall of 2007 I took a fall, and had a detached retina. after seven operations covering 2008 they couldn't do anything more for the eye. It kept detaching. So now I have a eye full of silicone oil, to help keep the retina in place. Now the other problem is, the silicone oil deteriorates the cornea to the point where it was ready to rupture. So,, another operation, number seven, where they did a patch, I won't go into details of that. The end results were, the retina had lots of scar tissue build up, the optic nerve was damage, and at best I would only see shadows, so with the last operation I now have zero vision, but do see light, lots of light because the lens in my eye was removed, thats what makes the eye dilate, to adjust for light. So It is like having a flashlight shining in one eye when I am outside.

Enough about that, I didn't fly for 2008, and most of 2009. But after retiring a good friend of mine in our club, got the club 60 size trainer out, and put me on the buddy box. After a few sessions, we got my stik running, and I started doing my take off's and approaches. The approach was the hardest part, judging when to turn to line up with the runway. There were plenty of grass landings after missing the runway. But now I can fly, and land on my own, nothing fancy yet, still getting the basics down.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:54 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Keep it up, Bob, you're doing great.

~ Jim ~