RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Binding Light Flashing with new AR8000 Receiver? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/10318687-binding-light-flashing-new-ar8000-receiver.html)

3D Romeo 02-07-2011 09:05 AM

Binding Light Flashing with new AR8000 Receiver?

Hi,

I've read in a few threads where people are having similar problems with the 6 channel AR6200 receiver. But my new DX8 has no problem binding with the AR6200 receiver. My problem is with the AR8000 receiver that comes with the DX8 transmitter.

Everything seems to work fine in the binding process. I connect the binding plug to the battery connection on the receiver, and connect a battery to one of the other free channels. Hold down the binding button, and power on the transmitter. It does it's thing for a second, or two, and both lights go solid (the one on the receiver, and the one on the satalite receiver). Just the way it's suppose to. However, when I remove the binding plug, and battery. Then turn off the transmitter, and connect the battery to the battery connection on the receiver. When I turn on the transmitter it doesn't do it's thing, and both lights immediately start flashing. All the servos still seem to work in their normal manner. But without a steady light I don't trust it in an expensive model.

Here's the funny part...If I connect the battery to any other channel on the receiver (other than the actual connection labeled 'battery') it seems to bind perfectly, and I get the steady light on both the receiver, and the satalite. I always thought the power bus worked equally across all channels? But apparently there is something different with the battery connection than with all the other channels on the receiver.

What is going on here?

You would think that if any receiver was going to work with the DX8 transmitter it would be the one that actually came with it. But the AR8000 receiver is the only receiver I've had problems binding with so far.

I hope you can help me with this problem?

Thank you,

Mark

AndyKunz 02-07-2011 10:51 AM

RE: Binding Light Flashing with new AR8000 Receiver?

It sounds like you might be plugging the battery into the AR8000 upside down. Check the label, and verify operation of servos.

Another possibility is that your battery has a connection so that the signal lead is connected to the battery -.

Andy

3D Romeo 02-07-2011 11:29 AM

Andy,

LOL...It's always entertaining listening to 'solutions' that try to blame everything under the sun accept the item in question.

I've been in modeling for decades, and a Spektrum user since the very first Spektrum radio came out. I'm very well aware of polarity, and how each wire must be connected to the receiver in the proper order (-, +, signal...in the case of the AR8000).

To be fair, I know you were just hoping to eliminate any 'user error' from the equation in your first response. I can assure you though that all basic 'user error' problems were thoroughly tested before I took the time to start a thread on RCU.

Thanks for the response...but I hope you got more arrows in your quiver? I would hate to think that I just wasted $400 on a transmitter that I can't trust in my bigger airplanes.

Mark

P.S. - I was getting ready to sell my DX6i, but I'm now postponing that decision until I'm sure the DX8 is dependable?

AndyKunz 02-07-2011 12:34 PM

If the receiver is going into bind mode, it's not the transmitter that's got a problem. It's something at the rx.

The rx goes into bind mode only when it sees a low voltage on the bat/bind "signal" pin. So the question is, why is it seeing a low value there when you plug that battery in?

One possible explanation is that the battery is upside down. Since you've already tested this by flipping the battery over when you plug it in, that's not the issue.

Since it works fine if you plug the battery into any other channel, it's not the receiver.

Ergo, there is something in the battery connection that is shorting the signal pin to ground.

If you have an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between the ground and signal pins of the battery connection.

Are you plugging in the battery directly, or through a switch? It could be the switch harness if you're using one.

Andy

BarracudaHockey 02-07-2011 12:59 PM

There's an outside chance something in the reciever is shorting the signal in the batt port to ground, have you tried either another battery into the battery port, or that battery into another spektrum receivers bind port?

fizzwater2 02-07-2011 01:34 PM

OK - if I read your first post right -
You bind the AR8000 with the plug, using the battery into another port. Fast flashy lights, then solid lights, like you would expect.

Then, pull the bind plug, and turn off the RX and TX. Then, you're turning ON the RX, then the TX, and you get flashing lights. Are they flashing as fast as they are when you enter bind mode, or slower?

Everything seems to work fine in the binding process. I connect the binding plug to the battery connection on the receiver, and connect a battery to one of the other free channels. Hold down the binding button, and power on the transmitter. It does it's thing for a second, or two, and both lights go solid (the one on the receiver, and the one on the satalite receiver). Just the way it's suppose to. However, when I remove the binding plug, and battery. Then turn off the transmitter, and connect the battery to the battery connection on the receiver. When I turn on the transmitter it does't do it thing, and both lights immediately start flashing. All the servos still seem to work in their normal manner. But without a steady light I don't trust it in an expensive model.

Try the bind, unplug the bind connector & battery, turn the TX off. Then, turn the TX on first, wait a bit, and turn the RX on without the bind plug.

Could the flashing you're seeing be the indication of a brown out? (momentary power loss) I've noticed this before if I turn off the RX and plug the battery right back into the battery port - the RX thinks it had a momentary power outage, and the flashing lights are indication of that.

Note that I don't have an AR8000 to try, but with AR7000's with the most recent firmware in them, I've seen them blink if I unplug and plug the battery pretty quickly after binding.

AndyKunz 02-07-2011 02:21 PM

Great catch, Fizz. I missed the "All the servos still seem to work in their normal manner." That would certainly indicate that there is a glitch on the rx power when it's being started up.

Andy

fizzwater2 02-07-2011 03:12 PM

I've noted that on my electric flat foamie when plugging in the Deans two pin connector on the battery. Where I have the connector located, it's tough to get at, and I can't always get a nice clean first time connection. If it "bounces" as I'm plugging it in, the lights blink. Still flies ok.

I was just wondering if that might be the case here. Like I said, I don't have an AR8000, only AR7000's, AR6200, and a couple of the park flier 6100 / 6110's.

I hope the OP comes back and lets me know - I've always got room to learn some more!

3D Romeo 02-07-2011 08:53 PM

Fizz,

Good Catch!

After reading your reply, I tried a switch between the receiver and the battery (since I was plugging the battery in directly in all previous attempts). When I fipped the switch everything bound perfectly. Just to test if this really was the problem, I removed the switch from the equation again, and plugged the battery in directly, just as before. Strangely enough, it bound perfectly this time.

So from what I can gather from what Fizz said, and from my latest tests. The problem seems to be if you bind the receiver, unplug the binding plug and battery, and then plug the battery back into the receiver to quickly (without 'waiting a bit').

Does this happen because of the Quick-Connect technology in the newer Spektrum receivers (like the AR8000)? Because I've never had to wait this long before replugging my battery into any of my previous Spektrum receivers (AR6000, AR6100, AR6100e, AR6200, AR7000, and AR6400L). As a matter of fact, before running into this little problem with my new AR8000 receiver, I had just finished binding all the airplanes that were in my DX6i radio to my DX8 radio, and didn't have any problems binding any of them (with all the older receivers listed above).

I know...I shouldn't call it a 'problem'. It's more of an 'unknown' or 'little known' step in the binding process of these newer recievers. Since it doesn't mention anywhere in the DX8 manual to 'wait for a bit' before reconnecting the battery to the receiver.

I'll post an update tomorrow if anything changes with further testing. But everything seems to be working normal for now.

Thanks for all the replies!

Mark

AndyKunz 02-08-2011 05:57 AM

For a Quick Connect if you leave the tx on, you can come back an hour later and re-power the rx and it will be blinking. The thing it looks for is the tx being on the same 2 frequencies as before. If they are, then the rx knows it lost power because the tx will always find different channels to be on. That's why it's not in the manual - it's not true.

Andy

3D Romeo 02-08-2011 09:59 AM

You are correct Andy.

I just ran a bunch of tests this morning, and as you said, if you leave the transmitter on it doesn't matter how long you wait to power on the receiver. The lights will almost always start flashing immediately upon powering up the receiver again (the reason I say 'almost' is because sometimes, for whatever reason, one or both of the lights will go solid upon powering up again?).

So the main point learned here is to make sure to turn off the transmitter EVERY time before powering up the receiver (which it does mention in step 6 of the binding process in the DX8 manual). Not just after binding, but EVERY time before you power on the receiver.

I did find it weird that the only 'problem' I had with binding was with the new AR8000 receiver. Considering all my other Spektrum receivers bound instantly with no problems. But now I can see that it's just the fancy new Quick Connect technology in the new receiver looking out for me.

Thanks for the help!

Mark

BarracudaHockey 02-08-2011 11:11 AM

Have you ever performed a firmware version test on your other equipment?

AndyKunz 02-08-2011 11:42 AM

Glad to help, Mark. For something so simple, they sure do seem complex sometimes!

Andy

3D Romeo 02-08-2011 11:51 AM

Andy,

Are you refering to the firmware in the older transmitters, or the older receivers? Although, in either case I'd have to say no. Since it wasn't updateable in any of the previous transmitters prior to the DX8.

I've never had a problem with any Spektrum product in the past. Going all the way back to the original DX6, a Module for my Futaba 9C, a DX6i, a DX7, and dozens of receivers. So I've never had the need to check which firmware version I was running. Everything has performed flawlessly.

I do have to say though, that the DX8 is the first Spektrum radio to address all of the things I found lacking with previous Spektrum radios. Like no dual rate rudder in the DX6 (although achievable if you knew how to program it), no throttle activated timer on any radio (which is one of the reasons I sold my DX6i...I could never remember to throw a switch to start the timer), and the DX7 isn't the most user friendly radio on the market to program (at least compared to my Futaba 9C). The DX8 addressed all these concerns, along with many others, to achieve what I believe to be one of the best overall radios you get buy right now. This is why I was so concerned when the led's on my AR8000 kept flashing. I hated the thought of not being able to use my fancy new radio, with all the features that I could ever want in it.

As for the firmware version in my DX8, I did check that out, and it came with version 1.04 installed. So I'm up to date there. As far as I know?

Mark

BarracudaHockey 02-08-2011 11:57 AM

Nah, talking about the recievers.

There's one of 3 versions.

Power up the system, turn off the reciever and turn it back on.....one of three things will happen.

1. The system will take 3 seconds to connect and the lights will come on solid.

2. The system will connnect instantly and the lights will come on solid.

3. The system will connect instantly and the lights will flash.

They are listed oldest to newest firmware, receiver that takes 3 seconds I'd send back for an update to quick connect.

If you have older firmware recievers though it would explain why you might not have noticed the flashing lights before.

3D Romeo 02-08-2011 12:07 PM

Andy,

Thanks for the firmware info...It'll definitely be worth checking out.

Mark

BarracudaHockey 02-08-2011 12:16 PM

Horizon will update them for free.

tothemax 02-08-2011 12:21 PM

What is the proceedure to have Horizon update your receivers. Do you have to call Horizon for an RMA?

AndyKunz 02-08-2011 01:26 PM

As for the firmware version in my DX8, I did check that out, and it came with version 1.04 installed. So I'm up to date there. As far as I know?
For another day or so you are. Version 2.00 is about to release. You'll like it even more.

Andy

ALbert.S 02-08-2011 03:13 PM

I had the flashing light problem with my new 7 channel receiver I asked the club "Know IT ALL"
Here is his answer
1.Turn on TX and set the controls the way you would want them if you lost signal "FAILSAFE" Low motor ETC
2 Turn off TX
3 Put binding plug into power slot on receiver All this does is short the signal pin to the black wire pin
4 Plug your power from a battery direct or switch into AUX channel or any other open channel and power up the receiver
5 You should now Have blinking lights on both receivers
6. Remove the binding plug Leave the power on The lights will continue to blink You have told the receiver that you want to bind
7. Hold binding button down on TX and turn on -Hold until lights go solid
This has worked every time for me !!!!!!

BuschBarber 02-08-2011 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: ALbert.S

I had the flashing light problem with my new 7 channel receiver I asked the club ''Know IT ALL''
Here is his answer
1.Turn on TX and set the controls the way you would want them if you lost signal ''FAILSAFE'' Low motor ETC
2 Turn off TX
3 Put binding plug into power slot on receiver All this does is short the signal pin to the black wire pin
4 Plug your power from a battery direct or switch into AUX channel or any other open channel and power up the receiver
5 You should now Have blinking lights on both receivers
6. Remove the binding plug Leave the power on The lights will continue to blink You have told the receiver that you want to bind
7. Hold binding button down on TX and turn on -Hold until lights go solid
This has worked every time for me !!!!!!

According to the DX8 manual, using the Preset Failsafe Bind Procedure, you remove the Bind Plug before turning on the Tx with the Bind Button depressed. Using Hold Last Command Failsafe Bind Procedure, you leave the Bind Plug in place until After you turn on the Tx with the Bind Button depressed.

According to the AR7000 manual they only list One method for Binding and that requires that the Bind Plug remain in place, on the Rx, until after the Tx has been turned on with the Bind Button depressed.

mimhoff 02-09-2011 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Nah, talking about the recievers.

There's one of 3 versions.

Power up the system, turn off the reciever and turn it back on.....one of three things will happen.

1. The system will take 3 seconds to connect and the lights will come on solid.

2. The system will connnect instantly and the lights will come on solid.

3. The system will connect instantly and the lights will flash.

They are listed oldest to newest firmware, receiver that takes 3 seconds I'd send back for an update to quick connect.

If you have older firmware recievers though it would explain why you might not have noticed the flashing lights before.

I have a DX8 with an AR8000 Rx I have upgraded to version 2.0 of the firmwhere. I have bound the AR8000 using "DSMX" as indicated on my Tx display screen in the upper right corner. If I turn Rx power on and off it reconnects immediately just like your scenario #2 being a new Rx I would expect it to behave like scenario #3 I did not try before loading v 2.00 does this have something to do with the "DSMX" has anyone else experienced this?

Mark

fizzwater2 02-09-2011 09:32 AM

I think I read somewhere that the DSMX does have the quick connect feature, but does not necessarily have the brown-out detection via the flashing lights.

I'd have to go back to Spektrum's website or somewhere that I might have seen that..

3D Romeo 02-09-2011 09:34 AM

Hey Andy,

While we are on the topic of receiver firmware...

Of the 3 firmware versions you mention, is the third version (the system will connect instantly and the lights will flash) only compatable with newer radios that support it (like the DX8)? Or is the firmware receiver specific, and will work with any DSM2 system?

The reason I ask is because I still use an old Futaba 9C radio, with a Spektrum module in it, for several airplanes. And I was wondering if the second firmware update you mention (the system will connnect instantly and the lights will come on solid) is the most recent firmware that is compatable with this system?

Mark

fizzwater2 02-09-2011 09:42 AM

I saw the bit about the brown-out detection not being in the DSMx receivers in the DSMX operators guide from Spektrum:

Following are the operational differences:
Brownout Detection - Not Available on DSMX Receivers
DSM2 receivers feature Brownout Detection that flashes the receiver’s LED if a power
interruption occurs. While DSMX receivers have QuickConnect and recover instantly
from a power interruption, the architecture of DSMX prevents Brownout Detection when
operating in DSMX mode.