RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/10417643-spektrum-telemetry-module-iphone-app.html)

KC36330 12-05-2011 01:47 PM

RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

We announced a JetCat interface at Nuremberg last year. Does more than just RPM!

Andy

is it available? a link?

I'd be happy to try one out and give feedback on its operations :)

Pull Up Now! 12-05-2011 06:56 PM

This question is addressed to anyone using the iPhone Spektrum App(not the FX8 transmitter). In the Airspeed section, does the ability to set alarm limits exist? I just downloaded the App, and I was able to find limits for other functions, such as battery voltage. But not airspeed. Can this really be true? If so, how could such a basic thing be overlooked?
Thanks!

JohnB96041 12-05-2011 07:03 PM

Hope I am misunderstanding your question, but the limits are set via the transmitter under the telemetry section on the DX8. I have my airspeed limits set at 25 mph for a low and 125 mph as a high. I have tested these limits and an alarm sounds when I get below 25 mph airspeed. Have not tried to test the high end limit. Hope this helps.

JohnB96041 12-05-2011 07:05 PM

I don't have my system in front of me at this time, but will try to give a clearer answer Tuesday. Hang in there. The only thing that I have not got working yet is the rpm.

Pull Up Now! 12-05-2011 07:14 PM

I could be wrong, but my understanding is the iPhone TR1000 works independent to the transmitter. And inside the iPhone App the limits can be set without the transmitter being involved. So it's not to much a stretch to think the same would be true with airspeed, but I'm not seeing it. Maybe it appears in the software as an option once the airspeed module is hooked up? I don 't have the airspeed module yet, so I can't test that.

JohnB96041 12-05-2011 07:30 PM

OK....I now see on the iPhone what you are talking about. Had not noticed the upper and lower limits for airspeed being missing. I too, hope this is a mistake with the apps, but it looks like it is missing. Maybe will be added in a future update. Hopefully Andy can shed some light on this issue. Give him a pm with your issue and I will do the same. Thanks.

Pull Up Now! 12-05-2011 08:14 PM

We are corresponding right now. Thanks!

AndyKunz 12-06-2011 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Pull Up Now!

I could be wrong, but my understanding is the iPhone TR1000 works independent to the transmitter. And inside the iPhone App the limits can be set without the transmitter being involved. So it's not to much a stretch to think the same would be true with airspeed, but I'm not seeing it. Maybe it appears in the software as an option once the airspeed module is hooked up? I don 't have the airspeed module yet, so I can't test that.
Yes, they are independent.

The STi app is an ongoing project with dedicated personnel. Just hang tight, it will be improved constantly!

Andy

KC36330 12-06-2011 01:18 PM

and the JetCat interface??

AndyKunz 12-06-2011 01:41 PM

It was announced. Period. I have log files from testing it. That's about all I can say right now.

Andy

vasek 12-06-2011 01:55 PM

KC can you please comment on any future telemetry compatibility for a Marine Rx?

I'm kind of looking around before buying a system for my hydro.

Thanks, V.

AndyKunz 12-07-2011 07:07 AM

ORIGINAL: vasek

KC can you please comment on any future telemetry compatibility for a Marine Rx?

I'm kind of looking around before buying a system for my hydro.

Thanks, V.
If you have a Spektrum Marine system, you already have most of what you need.

The STi app and dongle that plugs into an iPhone (or similar i-gadget) will work with any of the MR-series receivers. You will not get the Flight Log data (holds, antenna data) but you will have rx voltage and access to all the other sensors we make.

If you want the Flight Log data, you need to be using an Aircraft tx and rx (AR600 is very similar to MR3000).

What kind of hydro? I used to be very involved in FE racing both as a competitor and selling racing ESCs (as rc-hydros.com).

Andy

vasek 12-08-2011 08:36 AM

Hey Andy, thanks for the link! I had a look around, INTERESTING stuff.

So I have to get a I phone then! I'll ask Sana if it's not to late ;)

I'm starting a build of the 1/8 Miss Renault '83 from Newton plans. Your input would is welcome, as this is my first Hydro. You can post here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10835312

Cheers,
Vasek

AndyKunz 12-08-2011 09:24 AM

Vasek,

You can't find better plans than Roger's are. I've got a handful of them myself that I've built, all in reduced scale, biggest was 35", always electric.

If you haven't found one yet, the Mock One "how to build a hydro" series will be very helpful. He goes through building an Atlas Van Lines but it's essentially the same thing for almost all the hydros.

Andy

vasek 12-08-2011 10:11 AM

Andy, I googled Mock One "how to build a hydro" and came up empty, do you have a link you can post? thanks

KC36330 12-08-2011 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

It was announced. Period. I have log files from testing it. That's about all I can say right now.

Andy

well in the mean time i went ahead and picked up a few of the current items, i hope it holds me over til i can try one of the JetCat interfaces.

JohnB96041 12-12-2011 09:14 AM

Got the latest update to the Sti module. Still no update for the missing Airspeed or Altitude parameter settings. Everything else seems to work great. I have ordered the RPM sensor and bracket (SPMA9569), but it is now on backorder. When it comes in I will give it a whirl as to how to mount it on the SAP180HP 30cc engine.

Pull Up Now! 12-12-2011 03:17 PM

Yeah, I saw on my iPhone that STi received an update, so I downloaded it and looked for the airspeed & altitude alarms too. But really it's too soon from the time I alerted Andy to the lack thereof, to be a software revision out there. My daughter owns an iPhone enterprise App development company, and it takes a while to get things approved by Apple for the AppStore.

I bought an RPM sensor too...Horizon had a free shipping deal last week. But, as you said, the hall sensor version was out of stock. And the free shipping deal did NOT include backordered items so I settled for what I assume is an optical sensor. There was NO technical info at all on Horizon's website, so that's a guess. NOTE TO HORIZON. Look at what Tower Hobbies does in their technical notes section! Horizon's site is abyssmal for it's lack of information. Or am I just cranky?

By the way, what WAS added or improved upon in the lastest STi software version update? I didn't see any Android apps on there, so that's not it..... :D

JohnB96041 12-12-2011 03:26 PM

Here is the Sti update info:
Version 2.04
11-17-2011
Software Features
• Added G-Force telemetry support.
• Added “Knob” to calibration screen so users know the status as they calibrate it.
The knob neutral point was not being updated during calibration. We also
corrected the criteria for centering on the sticks to improve functionality in some
radios.
• The Switch Select page more accurately reflects the current switch assignment.
If a wing or tail type uses a channel that a switch is on, the switch setting is
changed to INH. It remains INH until manually reassigned.
• When a model is copied, the bind information for the copied model is now
erased. This will allow the user to see that the model is not bound, as it will not
show DSM2 or DSMX on the main screen.
• Calibration for mode changes uses the same screen as when a user manually
selects calibration. This means that mode change cal requires the user to move
both sticks in a + format (not like an O, X, L, or T), as well as rotate and center
the knob.
Software Corrections
• Translations – Improve/Correct translation of some terms for some German
Helicopter screens. Corrected Italian translation “Alettoni.”
• Calibration – when calibrating, the knob “neutral point” was not being updated.
• Flap System – The elevon flap system bug has been corrected. The flaps now
work smoothly and move correctly for the given speed values.
• Channel Assignments – Scrolling through the wing and tail types does not
change gear or aux channel assignments until the wing or tail type is actually
selected.

AndyKunz 12-13-2011 08:03 AM

John,

That's the revision for the AirWare, not the STi.

The STi update was to correct a change to the way one of the calls works. It was basically to bypass a bug that Apple introduced when they fixed their power consumption bug in the operating system. We're still waiting for the feature update to get through Apple.

Andy

JohnB96041 12-13-2011 01:27 PM

Yep.....you are correct.....I pasted the information above in the wrong forum. Sorry about that.

rodestar99 12-13-2011 03:59 PM

I agree with you regarding horizons information. I bought a blade 450 helicopter. It didn't come with any written instructions. Just a dvd .
I was in my workshop and wanted some info so I fired up the computer and put in the dvd. It opened the video instructions and had no sound. I looked
on the label and it said you must have windows and acrobat reader or a mac with apple quicktime. Well I had windows and acrobat reader and it didn't
work so I called horizon tech support and asked them what the deal was. They said I had to download quicktime for pc to view the video.. I onjected to this
saying that when I want to be a computer hobbyist I don't mind spending time on my computer tweaking it but when I am in the middle of working on my
heli I shouldn't have to take time to work on my computer. He said I could view the videos on youtube but I explained I had no network in my workshop.
Well apparently the customers viewpoint doesn't matter much with these guys. I finally gave in and downloaded quicktime but now I can't click on a file and
have it open . I have to open quicktime and then load the file.......This is B.S.

KC36330 12-13-2011 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: rodestar99
............I finally gave in and downloaded quicktime but now I can't click on a file and
have it open . I have to open quicktime and then load the file.......This is B.S.

just disassociate quicktime to all file extensions OR you can simply uninstall it and you're back to just like you were before you installed it either way.

BuschBarber 12-13-2011 06:57 PM

As was mentioned above, files are identified with a two part syntax. The first part is the Name, followed by a Period (.), and then a 3 letter Extension. The Extension is what associates the file with the appropriate application. For example, .txt is associated with Notepad, .doc with MS Word, .jpg with MS Paint, etc. Many audio and video files are associated with Windows Movie Player, such as .mpv, .mpg, .mp3, etc.. Many times, when you install a new application, it may subtly ask you "Do you want this application to be the Default for this type of file?". If you say yes, the File Association changes. You will know because the Icon that appears next to the name of the file will change, also.

However it happens, your version of Windows will have a screen, somewhere, that allows you to change the application choice that is associated with the type of file you want to open. Look in Windows Help for the section on File Associations.

Also, you can open My Computer, Computer, or Windows Explorer, Right Click on the file you cannot open, Left Click on Open With, select Windows Media Player or whatever application you want to use, check the box that says Always open this type of file with this application, and click OK. It will change the File Association for all files of that type. If you cannot find Open With on the menu when you Right Click on the file, go to Windows Help and it will explain how to make it appear.

KC36330 12-13-2011 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

As was mentioned above, files are identified with a two part syntax. The first part is the Name, followed by a Period (.), and then a 3 letter Extension. The Extension is what associates the file with the appropriate application. For example, .txt is associated with Notepad, .doc with MS Word, .jpg with MS Paint, etc. Many audio and video files are associated with Windows Movie Player, such as .mpv, .mpg, .mp3, etc.. Many times, when you install a new application, it may subtly ask you ''Do you want this application to be the Default for this type of file?''. If you say yes, the File Association changes. You will know because the Icon that appears next to the name of the file will change, also.

However it happens, your version of Windows will have a screen, somewhere, that allows you to change the application choice that is associated with the type of file you want to open. Look in Windows Help for the section on File Associations.

Also, you can open My Computer, Computer, or Windows Explorer, Right Click on the file you cannot open, Left Click on Open With, select Windows Media Player or whatever application you want to use, check the box that says Always open this type of file with this application, and click OK. It will change the File Association for all files of that type. If you cannot find Open With on the menu when you Right Click on the file, go to Windows Help and it will explain how to make it appear.

Or to save some time you can just right click on the desired file type, select properties then under the General tap click the 'Change' button to the right of 'Open With'.......