RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Let's talk DX18 here! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/11107417-lets-talk-dx18-here.html)

Howard 04-02-2015 05:15 AM

If I purchase a new DX18 (not the new stealth version) from HH will the radio arrive with the latest software update or do I have to do that? Other than color is there any advantage to the Stealth version? Thanks

Howard

czorzella 04-02-2015 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Howard (Post 12015173)
If I purchase a new DX18 (not the new stealth version) from HH will the radio arrive with the latest software update or do I have to do that? Other than color is there any advantage to the Stealth version? Thanks

Howard

Howard, chances are that it won't come with the latest software update and you'll have to do that manually.

Carlos

AndyKunz 04-02-2015 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Howard (Post 12015173)

Howard

You WILL need to upgrade. If nothing else, just to get rid of the nag screen telling you to register it.

Andy

Lormuhl 04-10-2015 05:38 PM

Has anyone bought a new dx18gen 2 recently from horizon, had it delivered, open the box and find out it does not turn on. The battery has 7.5 volts and even with the charger plugged in, will not turn on? I have a gen1 already, what am I missing? already called horizon to return. Anyone experience this before?

mattnew 04-10-2015 05:49 PM

Most radios won't power up if you have the charger plugged in... I know mine dont

Lormuhl 04-10-2015 07:24 PM

it does not even turn on with the charger NOT plugged in and the battery has 7.5 volts in it.

DOC 04-10-2015 07:38 PM

I had this happen to me. The problem was i had downloaded too many .sex files onto the SD card and it confused the hell out of the TX.
Delete all but one of the .sex files on the card and it should work.

Lormuhl 04-10-2015 07:56 PM

Nope did not work. Still not turn on. :)

AndyKunz 04-10-2015 08:17 PM

Remove the card completely.

I've never heard of one that didn't turn on at least a little. Probably a good idea to charge it an hour or two to get started, just in case.

Andy

Lormuhl 04-11-2015 04:28 AM

Charged for four hours, still does not turn on with or without sd card. Its going back to HH. Oddly enough I have set up many friends dx18 s,been using my gen 1for over a year, never had a problem with any HH products, just wanted to upgrade and use my gen 1 as a backup and with all the reading never heard of a gen 1 or 2 delivered no good. I will still order another gen2 and hopefully they will turn the transmitter on first to see if it works before shipping. Just thought I would ask if anyone has had experienced the same problem.

AndyKunz 04-11-2015 05:25 AM

Unfortunately it sounds like you got to be first.

Andy

moparherb 04-15-2015 05:14 PM

Check to make sure the battery is completely plugged in.....

Lormuhl 04-15-2015 05:33 PM

Battery was plugged in, tested ok, charged for 4 hours and still inop. Installed battery in it from my gen 1 and still no work.
Gen2 was sent back to HH on monday and HH put another in the mail on monday, New gen2 will be here tomorrow between 10 and 11 am and I will check it when it arrives. HH has been a pleasure to work with so far,they even had a tech inspect the new dx18 before shipping it to me.

BarracudaHockey 04-16-2015 04:30 AM

Considering the volume of radios they sell it doesn't particularly surprise me that they had one like that get out.

What is even less surprising is they way they handled it.

Lormuhl 04-16-2015 12:40 PM

Received gen2, opened box and it works. Will register, update and range test.

ajay1 04-27-2015 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by czorzella (Post 12013814)
AJay,

On a second thought, please clarify if your DX18QQ isn't EU compliant version which could explain the different power levels that you found.
It would also be interesting if you can share the graphs generated by the spectrum analyzer.

Carlos

My DX18QQ was purchased in USA---It is not EU compliant.

ajay1 06-17-2015 12:11 AM

Is Spektrum likely to introduce a real high end 3000$ Transmitter like the Futaba 18MZ or JR28X

czorzella 06-17-2015 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by ajay1 (Post 12056393)
Is Spektrum likely to introduce a real high end 3000$ Transmitter like the Futaba 18MZ or JR28X

IMHO, I don't think they will; I've got an impression that Spektrum is oriented towards reaching large market share, not only a handful of buyers.

The real question would be: Are the other manufacturers likely to introduce a really high end programming capabilities and provide a fantastic after sales support like Spektrum does and sell it for under $400?

Anyways, back to Spektrum, I see that there are still room for improvements; specially in terms of UI using larger and better quality display, but other than that, I'm still quite happy with my DX18 after 3 years using it and I have no plans to change to other brands so early.

ajay1 06-22-2015 12:07 AM

I fly 40% prop planes with 200 to 300 cc engines---To perform aerobatics i need that say If my throttle stick moves my Throttle servo from 0 to 100 then i want my throttle Trim Lever to operate the same throttle servo from 0 to 40.

ajay1 06-22-2015 12:09 AM

This is Andy Kunz reply/solution:--
Try again with a default model.
With the stick all the way down, trim all the way down, the Monitor shows -129%. With the trim moved all the way opposite, the Monitor shows -71%. With the trim centered, the Monitor shows -100%. This corresponds to the +/-29% travel that the trim functions always provide.
A DX9 and a DX18 both had the same results.
If you are using the Travel or Abs Travel or a throttle curve, your results may differ. I suggest that you set up your throttle linkage properly, so that with the trim and throttle in the fully closed position that the carb is fully closed with no changes to either Travel or Abs Travel.
Andy

Len Todd 06-22-2015 04:26 AM

On my Checkmate, I have the left elevator mixed to the Elevator via Aux 1. I could not get the two servo tail model type on the DX-18 to work correctly, so I went to the mix. Frequently, when I first turn on my Checkmate, on the elevator I have to change the offset in the mix from zero to 100 or back from 100 to zero. I have an AR 9020 sitting on a smartfly power board and DX-18. I only have to make this offset change the first time I turn on the transmitter for the day. I can turn the transmitter on and off after that and the offset will not change. Maybe I'll try disconnecting the power to the receiver and repowering it to see if the receiver causes this. ??

BarracudaHockey 06-22-2015 05:35 AM

Why can't you get dual elevator to work?

AndyKunz 06-22-2015 02:19 PM

Yeah, it works great! What were you doing that didn't work?

Andy

Len Todd 06-23-2015 03:43 AM

I have not been able to figure out the answer to that question.

The plane was built and programmed last winter. It has been sitting around for months, and I forget all the details that got me to the mix. Think I'll go back and start with a fresh model. I must have missed something in the mapping.

With a dual servo tail, the two involved default channels are Elev and Aux 1. Right?

AndyKunz 06-23-2015 05:02 AM

It depends on the radio. The DX6 and DX7 will use different channels than the DX9 and higher, and it depends on wing type.

What you ALWAYS do is take a look at the Monitor screen. It will show you which functions are on which receiver ports.

Andy