RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Let's talk DX18 here! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/11107417-lets-talk-dx18-here.html)

AndyKunz 02-07-2014 08:05 AM

We never announce release dates for updates. It won't be an extremely long time. I'm launching a new beta today or Monday.

Andy

BarracudaHockey 02-07-2014 11:58 AM

He can neither confirm nor deny nor give dates.

Those of us following his posts are familiar with and respect this.

As for the upgrade, same with phones or computers or anything else consumer technology these days. I just bought a QQ, think how I feel....LOL

Rob2160 02-07-2014 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey (Post 11731188)
He can neither confirm nor deny nor give dates.

Those of us following his posts are familiar with and respect this.

As for the upgrade, same with phones or computers or anything else consumer technology these days. I just bought a QQ, think how I feel....LOL

Look on the bright side, no firmware upgrade will ever change the colour of a Version 2 DX18. Its a great looking radio anyway but the QQ looks better in my opinion.

foundryratjim 02-08-2014 03:39 AM

I don't have a problem with waiting.

pappy35 02-08-2014 07:11 AM

I fail to understand why people think this way. Try that argument with Apple, Samsung, Futuba, JR, oh hell, ANYWHERE! Yes it sucks but it's just silly to say that and makes one sound like a spoiled child.

foundryratjim 02-08-2014 07:48 AM

Well as a spoiled child consumer I don't buy any of those products until the latest version is out. When I bought this radio there was no talk of a newer version coming out. Of course the manufacturers are not going to let that out so they can sell the old stock. The are a lot of competing radios out there that will do what the average modeler needs for far less money. When I she'll out this kind of money I expect better. If that is not going to be the case then I will spend my money else where.

pappy35 02-08-2014 08:16 AM

And when they (Futuba or JR) come out with a new radio after you buy one, what then? It happens. I buy a new phone, three months later it's revised. It's how it is. In reality, now that everyone has implemented upgradeable software, all this revision adds that you can't get is voice alerts and wireless buddy boxes. All the software implemented features, including the expanded 250-model memory, are available to you free.

foundryratjim 02-08-2014 08:46 AM

1. In the previous post from the fellow from horizon, he didn't mention what the upgrades were.
2. When he posted that, that was the first time i had heard that there would be one available.
3. There are a lot of other radios coming up into the marketplace that I see modelers using with a lot of the same features of the big name radios for far less money.
4. I never stated that I expected it to be free. I have no problem paying for an upgrade if it has the features I would pay for.

AndyKunz 02-08-2014 09:11 AM

Jim,

We have been advertising the AirWare radios as being able to download firmware updates since we came out with the DX8 4 years ago. It is only reasonable to assume that there would be updates. The DX18 has been updated 4 times since we released it, the DX18QQ twice, the DX10t 5 times, the DX8 about 7 times, and the DX9 thrice. Updates are a given in the modern world. We aren't dropping support for older radios, in fact there will be a DX8 update in a few weeks (around the same time as the next DX18 family updates). These are all firmware updates, not hardware.

If we develop a new feature which requires hardware changes, they come out as a new radio. The DX18 G2 is one such example, as is the DX18T. Shoot, the DX9 is as well - it was the first with sound, and is based internally on the DX18 platform.

Andy

foundryratjim 02-08-2014 11:51 AM

Hey Andy thanks for jumping in. I have a DX-8, that is one of the reasons I bought the DX-18. What I would like to see is a module of sorts that could be used on the 18 for the voice features. I cant see putting out money for a new radio with these features when the DX-18 should last many years. I buy 90% of my RC stuff from Horizon because of the quality and customer service. I have been in RC since the mid 80's and I have seen and have dealt with a lot of businesses and Horizon is up at the top for me.

AndyKunz 02-08-2014 11:57 AM

We haven't been told what will happen about an upgrade path, so anything is speculation at this point.

So that you understand the impracticality of doing an upgrade, it took our techs over an hour per radio to disassemble DX18's and make them into G2's for beta testers. They got pretty good at it, but it was still a MAJOR effort. It's not a "snap on module" by any means, and certainly not one that most modelers would be able to complete successfully at home. They literally took the radios completely apart except for the gimbals in the front, then had to re-assemble the whole thing again. I personally don't see how it could be cost-effective.

Andy

Rob2160 02-08-2014 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by pappy35 (Post 11731789)
I fail to understand why people think this way. Try that argument with Apple, Samsung, Futuba, JR, oh hell, ANYWHERE! Yes it sucks but it's just silly to say that and makes one sound like a spoiled child.

I think we are actually lucky in the RC industry as many free firmware upgrades do bring great new features.

EG, DSMX to an early DSM2 DX8.
DX8 now has a wealth of Sailplane options that did not exist in the original firmware.
JR11X now allows updates based on the XG11 firmware (added the ability to calibrate sticks and other new features)
Futaba 8FG was firmware upgradable to become like the 8FG Super (14 channels)
Futaba 14SG now has voice (via headphones unfortunately but better than nothing)

foundryratjim 02-08-2014 06:59 PM

I agree it probably isn't. I have downloaded updates for both my radios, just haven't done any lately. The DX-18 probably will be my last radio unless 2.4 becomes obsolete.

ktmfrank 02-09-2014 06:29 AM

Andy i have a few questions for you.
1: why the gimbals are different for dx18 and dx18qq
2: i know for sure that i need gimbals extension from a 12X to fit my regular dx18.Is it ok to assume that they are genuine JR's gimbals?
3: any release date on the G2

i love my dx18 the precision level of this radio is just awesome. from an old dx6i to a dx8 i noticed a huge difference in the response speed, and dx8 to dx18 it just amazed me. i never expected such a huge difference. i had to lower my rates and increase my expos on my Ultimate because i was flying this so erratically! read you mind response is just crazy! i will never go back to to a sport radio again. and the programming is just what we need in the real world. And very easy to program also. we cant get better out of a radio for 800$i believe.

AndyKunz 02-09-2014 06:58 AM

1) It's a different, higher-end radio, so it (DX18QQ) got better sticks.
2) They have the same thread. I like long sticks too, and I just ordered the longest JR ones we sell and they work great.
3) There are dates on RCG which came from dealers. I don't know how accurate they are.

I'm happy to hear you've liked our progress!

Andy

Rob2160 02-09-2014 12:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by AndyKunz (Post 11732452)

2) They have the same thread. I like long sticks too, and I just ordered the longest JR ones we sell and they work great.

Andy

So both versions of the DX18 Gimbal, IE Original DX18 and (QQ / G2 gimbals) use the M4 thread with a 2mm Hex lock nut?

Also is it safe to say the original DX18 has no vertical white stripes on the gimbal but the newer gimbals (for QQ / G2) will have these white stripes as per the pics below.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1966938http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1966939

AndyKunz 02-09-2014 03:35 PM

No, the DX18QQ uses Futaba-style threads. The DX18 uses JR-style threads. This is online in multiple places quite clearly.

I don't know about stripes.

Andy

orthobird 02-10-2014 02:44 PM

hello, can anyone help me. I have learned to program a gyro for my airplane, on my DX 18, except, i do not want to assign the gyro to aux 2, instead, i want to assign to aux 4. i had initially assigned it to aux 2, and in assignment, it says GY1. aux 4, says whatever, but i cannot choose GY1.

if i scroll over AUX2, it will not allow me to click on it to change it. it will skip from aux 1 to aux 3 the ability to highlight that area. anyone know what is wrong here.
i did go back and INH GY1 to start all over again from scratch, but this does not change!! help somebody, please!!

Rob2160 02-10-2014 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by AndyKunz (Post 11732807)
No, the DX18QQ uses Futaba-style threads. The DX18 uses JR-style threads. This is online in multiple places quite clearly.

I don't know about stripes.

Andy

Thanks, yes that is why I asked, as I had read it in several places.

orthobird 02-10-2014 06:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18SL_AVX4zg

AndyKunz 02-10-2014 07:00 PM

I still have not received the SPM file from you. I can't do more until I have that.

Andy

orthobird 02-10-2014 07:02 PM

Andy, i ended up resetting that airplane and reprogramming everything. now it is programmed, but the question is, why did it do that? very interesting.

AndyKunz 02-10-2014 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rob2160 (Post 11733811)
Thanks, yes that is why I asked, as I had read it in several places.

I think the confusion was I wrote "2) They" meaning DX18 and 12X, and you read "DX18 and DX18QQ." But at least now it's clear.

Andy

Rob2160 02-10-2014 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by AndyKunz (Post 11733862)
I think the confusion was I wrote "2) They" meaning DX18 and 12X, and you read "DX18 and DX18QQ." But at least now it's clear.

Andy

You are right, my bad but thanks for clarifying.

opjose 02-28-2014 02:03 PM

Woohoo! Airware 1.05 is out!