RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   dx18 programming (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/11599210-dx18-programming.html)

R/C Foolish 05-18-2014 12:49 PM

dx18 programming

ok, I just got a V1. DX18, where is the snap roll function?

R/C Foolish

AndyKunz 05-18-2014 01:10 PM

You create it yourself using mixes. You can use the sequencer function as well, if you want to hold the snap condition for a set period of time.

Andy

R/C Foolish 05-18-2014 01:20 PM

I tried, but couldn't figure it out. I want to assign to a momentary switch like the L trim, is that possible?

AndyKunz 05-19-2014 09:06 AM

Yes, you can use the trimmers as mix switches.

Andy

Charles Shull 05-24-2014 01:25 PM

DX-18 version 2

Andy,
I just got a new dx-18 version 2, and have a weird problem with a mix. I am installing the radio in new Shockwave Jet, and I had a gyro installed in aux3 of Spektrum 12 channel rec. I decided I needed aux 3 for a mix of Rudder-nose wheel steering. When I removed gyro from aux-3 and turned off in transmitter, I still get gyro-1 in mix possibility and no aux-3. It is like the gyro will not go away in airplane receiver. When you try to change the Channel input configuration for aux-3, it will not even let you select it. I contacted Horizon about the problem, and they said that there factory transmitter is doing the same thing! Any ideas, or is this a programing error?
Chuck Shull

AndyKunz 05-24-2014 01:44 PM

Send me your SPM file (rename it to .TXT and post it here). I'll fix it and post it back.

Andy

Charles Shull 05-26-2014 08:03 AM

Andy,

I am not familar with this forum and how you attach a file to send back to you, I replied to your thread that showed up in my email, I hope you got the attached file. Also another bug has shown up in transmitter. In the warning program, I had a warning for throttle up and gear up turned on, now the gear warning has disappeared, and flap warning showed up! I tried to turn the gear warning back on but it will not let me select it. If you did not get the file 003Shockwave.txt, let me know and I will send you my e-mail address.

Chuck

AndyKunz 05-26-2014 08:44 AM

I did not get anything. Those e-mails come from a "do not reply" address @rcu, not from me.

Andy

Charles Shull 05-26-2014 08:55 AM

DX 18 problem file

Andy,

I tried to upload the file, it says that it exceeds the 19 kb limit, mine is 27KB. If you want to send a e-mail address to me at [email protected]. i will send the file to you, I give up on this forum trying to send it.

Chuck

RAPPTOR 06-17-2014 02:47 AM

same problem.. gyro and warning,,, also have file problem loading

AndyKunz 06-17-2014 06:02 AM

Attach SPM.

RAPPTOR 06-17-2014 06:28 AM

wish i knew how..

AndyKunz 06-17-2014 06:44 AM

Click on the "Go Advanced" button in the bottom right corner of the reply box.

One of the options that shows up below is "Attachments" with a button "Manage Attachments" just ot the right of it. Click that button, find the file on your SD card, and let RCU handle the rest.

Andy

RAPPTOR 06-17-2014 02:57 PM

dont want to get -beat up- again.. lol. love the radio .. wish i could use it.. needs much better manual..instead of have to bother, other owners..

AndyKunz 06-17-2014 03:14 PM

That's exactly what we were talking about on RCG this morning.

Andy

perpetualrepair 07-02-2014 08:43 AM

after years of flying basic rc my better half presents me with a V1 DX18, now I never thought I was stupid, just old ;-) but this has me screwed up royally.
I've never had to do any programming on my radios, now I have all these wonderful 3 way switches, the idea is to put ail, rud, ele, on three different switches, expo and d/r rates L,M,H. on each.
After messing with it for a while, I've begun to realise that I'm losing the plot,
It's very obviously an elementary thing but It's a bit too much for me. HELP!!

perpetualrepair 07-02-2014 08:49 AM

after years of flying basic rc my better half presents me with a V1 DX18, now I never thought I was stupid, just old ;-) but this has me screwed up royally.
I've never had to do any programming on my radios, now I have all these wonderful 3 way switches, the idea is to put ail, rud, ele, on three different switches, expo and d/r rates L,M,H. on each.
After messing with it for a while, I've begun to realise that I'm losing the plot,
It's very obviously an elementary thing but It's a bit too much for me. HELP!!

AndyKunz 07-02-2014 08:56 AM

The big picture boils down to this:

You only need to program what you actually want to use.

If all you want to do is have 3 rates for each axis on 3 different switches, it's actually quite simple.

Go to the D/R and Expo screen.

Pick the axis you want to set up.

Now got to the switch you want to use. Click the field (defaults to On) so the box blinks, then wiggle the switch. It will show you which you picked. Click again and you won't be editing that field any more.

Scroll up to Rates. Click. Set the switch to the 0 position. Adjust the value you want the rates to be in that switch position. Now flip the switch to 1. Adjust the rates for this position. Flip switch to 2. Adjust the rates for this switch position. Now click the roller again to stop editing that field. As you move the switch, you can see the rates chagne to the values you edited.

Scroll down to the Expo field and do the same thing there.

NOTE: If you move the stick to one side or the other, you will be able to change the behavior (Rate or Expo) just for that side. If you leave the stifk in the middle, both sides change symmetrically.

Now roll up to Aileron. Click. Adjust it to Elevator. Click. Now follow the same process.

You can use the same switch or different switches for any axis.

Andy

perpetualrepair 07-02-2014 10:20 AM

Thanks Andy, now I'm trying to work out Axis? is that "channel"
Click the field (defaults to On) so the box blinks, which is "field"
when I look at the screen, I don't see these words?
I told you I'm challenged at this ;-)

perpetualrepair 07-02-2014 10:27 AM

OK Got it, now let's see if I can remember it for five minutes, :rolleyes:

AndyKunz 07-02-2014 10:27 AM

Yes, axis = channel. Sorry, I'm thinkign AS3X all the time right now.

A "field" is the thing that you change. There is a field for each of the rates, for expo, for switch. It's a generic term meaning "what you're changing right now."

Andy

perpetualrepair 07-02-2014 04:02 PM

Was really trying to make it harder than it actually was, after you explained it and I'd done it I saw how easy it was, I think I've got it now Andy, thanks for the help, now to tackle the setup on my Grafas.

AndyKunz 07-03-2014 05:25 AM

You're welcome!

Be sure to post photos!

Andy

BDCulver 08-31-2015 11:29 AM

Andy,
I am new to the gyro function. I have had my DX18 since December and really have not messed with it very much. I just set everything up like I did with my DX7. I just bought a 100cc edge 540 and am going through the plane I am using a AR9020 receiver. I have decided to put each aileron servo on its own channel since there are four of them and each elevator servo on its own channel there are two. I finally figured out how to get them all setup with the radio. What is the purpose of the gyro in a fixed wing aircraft and what do I need to do to set a plane up with it?

Brandon Culver

AndyKunz 08-31-2015 11:39 AM

First off, you don't need gyros.

The gyro setup would be used to stabilize the aircraft, kind of like a discrete AS3X system.

To use it in your plane, you would need up to 3 gyros - one for roll, 1 for pitch, 1 for yaw. If you want to do things like use the ailerons as flaps or spoilers, you'll need one gyro on each of them instead of just one for the axis.

If you use 1 gyro for each axis, then you'll need to Y-out the 4 servos from the single gyro output instead of using the 4-servo wing type in the transmitter.

Flying Giants is probably the best site to ask questions about using gyros in a plane.

Andy