RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Installing a Spektrum DX6 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/11642529-installing-spektrum-dx6.html)

tipstall1 10-25-2017 06:18 AM

Installing a Spektrum DX6

I am just getting back into the hobby after being out for 12 years and had some questions concerning radio installation. I have a DX6 that I am going to install in a Great Planes PT-60 and was wondering if anyone had pictures of a radio install in one of your planes. Also, I had some questions I was hoping someone could answer.
Q: Do you have to use a remote antenna? I saw some receivers had one included, but the one I purchased did not.
Q: Does the battery and switch harness hook up the same way as back in the 72Mhz days?
Q: There is a long antenna and a short antenna on the receiver, what is the best orientation for these? Do they have to stick out of the plane?
Q: What servos are compatible with Spektrum radios? For the PT-60 I intend to use just standard servos.
Q: Does anyone sell a flight pack any more that includes servos, receiver battery and switch?

I have been searching google and youtube for typical 2.4ghz installations, but only have found info for electrics and BNF planes.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

BarracudaHockey 10-25-2017 06:34 AM

Q: Do you have to use a remote antenna? I saw some receivers had one included, but the one I purchased did not.
Some require a remote some do not, if you purchased it new and it didn't come with one then you are fine.

Q: Does the battery and switch harness hook up the same way as back in the 72Mhz days?
yep

Q: There is a long antenna and a short antenna on the receiver, what is the best orientation for these? Do they have to stick out of the plane?
just mount the receiver as you would, usually on a flat surface. They don't have to stick out, there's some special circumstances like certain recievers for carbon fuselages have longer antennas that do need to be outside a carbon fuse, but what you're talking about, no.

Q: What servos are compatible with Spektrum radios? For the PT-60 I intend to use just standard servos.
Standard servos are fine.

Q: Does anyone sell a flight pack any more that includes servos, receiver battery and switch?
Not that I'm aware of. Find yourself a Life Source or 5 cell nimh pack, best to stay away from the old 4 cell nickel packs in 2.4 installations

BarracudaHockey 10-25-2017 06:37 AM

I deleted your other thread, you only need to start one thread for a question.

tipstall1 10-25-2017 06:47 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know if Hitec servos are compatible with Spektrum receivers? There used to be specific connectors on some servos, like J and Z style connectors, for Futaba and Airtronics I think, does this still apply with the new receivers, or are all the connectors the same now?

BarracudaHockey 10-25-2017 07:15 AM

Hitec work great, there's a few old servos that aren't wired the same but anything you buy new or within the last 15 years is compatible.

Futaba still uses an index tab but you can shave that off to get them to work as well, the wiring is identical