RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   IX20 Fades and Hold Screen flickering w/Telemetry (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/11690888-ix20-fades-hold-screen-flickering-w-telemetry.html)

opjose 06-05-2021 07:45 PM

IX20 Fades and Hold Screen flickering w/Telemetry

I hooked up a Xicoy FC1 to a Spektrum 9 channel Telemetry receiver. When the IX20 is receiving telemetry from the FC1 the Fade/Hold screen shows "---" in place of the zeros for holds and fades every second or so.

I think this corresponds with the telemetry update intervals but I am not sure.

There are no actual holds nor fades logged and everything seems to otherwise work just fine.
Is anyone else seeing something like this and does anyone know of a fix or workaround?

This does not occur with my DX18, it only happens with my IX20 that has latest firmware installed.

Thanks!

AndyKunz 06-11-2021 05:16 AM

Can you tell more about your entire system please? Rx used, how it's connected to everything? Can you perhaps attach the ISPM file for the model?

Thanks.

Andy

AndyKunz 06-11-2021 07:55 AM

Do you have a link to the Xicoy controller also?

And definitely include a list of ALL the electronics in your plane and how they're connected.

Thanks!

Andy

opjose 06-14-2021 06:42 PM

Flickering

Hi Andy

First here is the link to the controller. The IX20 flickers even when there is no connection to the ECU and only the FC1 is connected to X-Bus as designed.

Flight Computer Full kit Xicoy, Xicoy Electronica SL

I went to some lengths to try to pin down where the issue starts.

This is NOT dependent on the model bound to the receiver nor any settings on the model. I bound the receiver to a new blank Acro1 profile and the issue persists.

I am using a AR9030T I purchased last year. At the time I purchased two, and both do the same thing, flickering like an old TV sync problem but only where the fade/hold numbers appear.

I tried pulling the RX out of the plane and only hooking up power to the RX with nothing else other than the FC1 and a battery connected. Same results.

I then tried the other AR9030T in the same configuration, and again same result.

I then tried a newer AR8020T and the issue does not occur when using that receiver bound to my IX20.

I then tried binding an older JR receiver and used a TM1000 telemetry module, and the issue appears with that too.

So as far as I can see the problem only occurs with older vintage telemetry receivers and the TM1000 modules. The issue is not dependent on the "model" definition in the IX20 at all.

Unfortunately I cannot try this with my 20 channel Spektrum power safe receivers as the FC1 requires a four pin X-bus hookup and the 20 channel only supports SRXL on the three pin connectors.

That is as far as I can get with this.

I talked with Gaspar at Xicoy and he said that they did not have IX20 to test with and they tried it with a DX18 and similar receivers.

When I tried using my DX18 this problem does not appear no matter which receiver is used.

Zeeb 06-14-2021 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by opjose (Post 12682169)
Hi Andy

I talked with Gaspar at Xicoy and he said that they did not have IX20 to test with and they tried it with a DX18 and similar receivers.

When I tried using my DX18 this problem does not appear no matter which receiver is used.

Did you miss the memo? Spektrum does not give a **** about the GS guys, they're all about chasing newbie RTF and PNP users and to hell with the GS guys....

opjose 06-14-2021 08:13 PM

I must have missed the memo.

My 20 channel power safe receivers don't quite fit my foamies. I've tried. ;)

---

Back to the topic.

AndyKunz 06-15-2021 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by opjose (Post 12682169)
Hi Andy

First here is the link to the controller. The IX20 flickers even when there is no connection to the ECU and only the FC1 is connected to X-Bus as designed.

Thanks for the link and the detailed explanation. That will certainly help figure it out.

Do you happen to know the version of code in the receiver? Did you update it?

Thanks.

Andy

opjose 06-15-2021 07:45 AM

Come to think of it, I did not try updating the receiver firmware.

I'll give that a shot and report back.

Thanks!

opjose 06-15-2021 04:34 PM

Hi Andy

The receivers both had version 1.1 firmware installed.

I removed the one in the plane and updated both to 1.1.4rc, the only update offered on the web site.

I used the latest updater from the same page.

The update completed without any issues.

I reconnected the FC1 and the satellites and powered up the receiver and still have the same issue on both.

Testing the DX18 again shows no problem what-so-ever.

The Fade & Hold numbers stay at zero flickering to "--" every second or less and only change when I turn off RF on the transmitter. So the actual displayed values are correct.

So to recap...

The AR9030T does this even on a new "model".
The TM1000 shows the same problem.
A newer AR8030T has no problems.

In all cases the FC1 was plugged into the X-Bus port.
No fades or holds appear and all of the control surfaces and channels seem to respond without issue.
I do not have anything plugged into the FC1 during testing, though normally in use there is a connection to the ECU & GPS receiver, plus a pair of pneumatic pitot hoses.
The receivers were only hooked up to a battery and the FC1 during tests.
The receivers were seeing serial data from the FC1.

Thank you.

opjose 06-19-2021 11:27 AM

Also all of this happens whether or not DX18 compatibility is used.