RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Spektrum DX7s, AS3X and AR636 receiver setup (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/11694035-spektrum-dx7s-as3x-ar636-receiver-setup.html)

Ray27112 10-10-2021 07:35 AM

Spektrum DX7s, AS3X and AR636 receiver setup

I just purchased a used Timber X with a AR636 receiver in it. I am trying to set up the Timber with a Spektrum DX7s radio. I have everything working great, but no stabilization. The previous owner claims the Timber X was working with his DX8. I have gone over the manual and tried everything I can think of! I think maybe it is a channel problem.
I am looking forward to getting this airplane setup and having my first airplane with stabilization!
Any one have this setup or have any ideas.....please!

Dick T. 10-12-2021 11:13 AM

As mentioned in another post, the stabilization isn't active until the throttle stick is moved past a certain point (1/4 to 1/2, I don't recall which).

Ray27112 10-12-2021 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dick T. (Post 12698234)
As mentioned in another post, the stabilization isn't active until the throttle stick is moved past a certain point (1/4 to 1/2, I don't recall which).

Thanks for the reply. I did take off the prop and did the throttle rev but that did not do the trick.

djmp69 10-18-2021 09:23 PM

Does your setup include a channel for flight mode switch AND a separate channel for gain? If so, you might have your gain turned down. Easy enough to mistake, I did it and couldn't for the life of me figure it out for a while. If not, and you only have your flight mode switch channel, check that your switch is a 3 position. Also, if I remember right and the values are the same, 0 is off. Over zero is rate gain, negative numbers are for heading gain. Dick is correct as well, the stabilization wont be active until the THRO is raised above 25% for a few seconds. Andy pointed this out, HUGE relief!

Do you get the surface twitches when you power up the plane?

chris silver 10-21-2021 07:39 PM

The throttle stick has to be moved aabove 1/4 in order to load your programming changes. If you don't do this the programming is volite and is cancelled out when you disconnect the receiver battery. You will need to update both the transmitter and receiver. Especially the transmitter. You need a programming cable for the AR636. this is important. Turn your gains up fully and make sure your control surfaces are countering the motion. Reverse the AS3X Direction in the Receiver only. Not the transmitter. Second. set the reversing switches as needed ifor flight in the transmitter. Make sure one channel is programmed for AS3X Data. Write down the channel and the port. I always get confused. you have to program that information into the receiver. Use one of the higher numberr AUX channels that you have. The radio will assign some of the first numbers sometimes. BE ABSOLUTELY SURE WHEN YOU PROGRAM YOUR RECEIVER WITH THE DATA CABLE THAT THE BATTERY IS NOT CONNECTED TO THE RECEIVER.. Otherwise, POOF goes the receiver. There are two types of AR636. receivers. AR636 and AR636A. The (A) version is completely programmable. The other is the BNF version and some of the gains and rates are fixed. If you chose to make your AS3X gains variable, you must use a digital switch--don't care what spektrum leads you to believe. Analog slider controls will not work. Be very careful to run the digital gains from 100 to 200 micro seconds. You might find the AS3X control surfaces reversed and crashed your plane. Set your travel to 150 at one end and either 100 or 200 at the other end. This gives you full range over variables without reversing your AS3X. I set the gains to 100 in the receiver and advance the digital switch from 150 to some comfortable level. Land. See what the max is a adjust the max gain accordingly. Good idea to switch the channel to absolute once you've found your sweet spot. avoid programming your rudder. Most people fly with pitch and Roll only. Yaw is not engaged. Channel 5 is Gear makes a good data switch, (IFI RECALL). Channel 5 will not function like a normal receiver channel. I just don't recall now what the idiocyncracies are right now.