RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Spectrum FAILSAFE (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/6459305-spectrum-failsafe.html)

Bretuk 10-07-2007 04:57 AM

Spectrum FAILSAFE

What and how dose is work

Redback 10-07-2007 05:41 AM

RE: Spectrum FAILSAFE

Not as well as it could unfortunately!

As per page 18 of the manual it "Maintains last commanded control surface position in the event of RF link interuption". The exception is the throttle which will assume the default position from when the Rx was binded to the Tx.

Great if you were straight and level when you lost RF, not so good in the middle of an extreme manouvre.

IMO, better if Spektrum had set it up so you could program defaults for all primary controls to assume if the RF link was interupted.

Regards

Terry

Bretuk 10-07-2007 09:39 AM

ok many thanks

falcooon 10-07-2007 05:37 PM

The new JR x9303 has both failsafe options. I really don't know if it matters. If you lose signal either method can cause chaos!

Redback 10-07-2007 05:49 PM

Falcooon,

You're probably right, but all things considered if I lost signal I would prefer that all control surfaces centred rather than staying the way they were when signal was lost.

Not 100% by a long way, but...........

Terry

pupmeister 10-07-2007 06:29 PM

The AR9000 and the R921 allows you to select either types of failsafe (hold or drive to a selected pre-programed position) during the initial bind.

Cheers
Pupmeister

Troy Newman 10-07-2007 06:34 PM

The R9000 and 921 RX's have both options for failsafe. They call it Smart Safe and Fail Safe. In how you bind these RX's it can either go to your last commanded position, except for throttle. Or the servos can go to a preset failsafe position for each channel.

The difference in how you bind is described in the manuals.

Pre-set Fail Safe...bind plug and power up RX. Remove bind Plug, then Hold the control presets you want in the sticks and switch positions. Power up the TX holding the bind button and Bind. This will give you Fail safe situation where the servos go to your desired presets.

Smart Safe is the default option. Leave the bind plug in while binding and all controls except throttle will maintain their current command when signal is lost.

As far as I know right now the 9 channel RX's are the only ones that have this feature for now. But I'm sure there will be future products that incorporate this flexible choice in "fail safe options" This gives you a choice on how to set things up.

You see the Fail safe situation changed a bit....on old PCM systems the TX would send the FS instructions every minute or so.....but now with the Spektrum Technology, the F/S settings are programmed into the RX when you bind it. This is why it is very important to get the model all setup and then rebind to tell the RX where the F/S values are for the Throttle as well as other channels. So once you have all the servos setup and the model is ready to fly, your engine linkage is adjusted and everything is ready to go fly the first time or after any changes....Stop, shut it all down re-bind....and now your changes will be Incorporated into the F/S or Smart Safe setting. These setting stay inside the RX until you bind again...so if you screw up with your settings or what to change them...just rebind. It takes just seconds and gets things all in sync.

The only difficult part is if you are hold control inputs for a F/S preset position sometimes it takes a buddy to do the TX power and bind button for you. Since the TX no longer sends the F/S signal one time every minute the thought process changes a little but not too much. The functionality is still there.

Troy Newman
Team JR/Spektrum