RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   JR 9593 Flight Modes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/9869841-jr-9593-flight-modes.html)

Saito_56 07-16-2010 08:11 PM

JR 9593 Flight Modes

I just got my 9503, and am in the process of setting up my Giant Big Stik with flaps. I think I understand that there is just two Flight Modes, AUX2 and FLAP. I want to set up my dual rates on AUX2 and my flaps on the FLAP switch. After a day of trying to get them to work, I think it is only possible to have one of the two work at one time, in other words, you cannot have AUX2 set for the dual rates, AND FLAP for flaps at the same time.
Is it possible to assign the dual rate functions to a different switch, say AUX4 Rudder? Also I can get the flaps to work on the flap switch if I have that switch activated in flight mode, but have not figured out how to adjust the throw for the right amount of flap throw.
I hope this makes sense, any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I am moving to the 9503 from a Futaba 8U.

AWorrest 07-17-2010 12:39 AM

RE: JR 9593 Flight Modes

First, take a look at Dan Snyder’s article, Programming Guide for the JR XP9303 for the Hangar 9 Ultra Stick, http://jrradios.com/ProdInfo/Files/J...rogramming.pdf It will answer many of your questions. The 9303/9503 in the ACRO configuration has three flight modes. It also has three flap positions when used with the FLAP SYS. Since there are only two three-position switches on the transmitter (FLAP SW and AUX2 SW), usually one of the switches is used to control the flaps (or flaperons) and the other to control the modes. It is possible to assign both modes and the flap positions to the same switch although you’ll lose the versatility of having the use of both.</p>

Allan</p>

Saito_56 07-17-2010 06:06 AM

Thank you I will print that out and see if that works!! I appreciate the reply.
Bob

G-BBYB 08-06-2010 07:50 AM

Not sure where to post this but it sounds in a similar vein.....

I am trying to set up flight modes on my JR PCM9XII and I can enable flight modes. I have set the trims to be unique to each flight mode as I want to set gear down in FM0 gear up and extra expo in FM1 and gear down and full flap. How do I set the flaps and gear to operate with the flight mode switch (AUX2)??

Cheers
Danny

G-BBYB 08-06-2010 08:56 AM

Okay bit of an update I have managed to set the flaps to function with the flight mode switch, simply by going into the flaps menu with flight modes enabled you can set what happens in each flight mode. I still need to find out how i can couple the gear to the flight mode switch, if anybody has any thoughts?

Cheers
Danny

G-BBYB 08-06-2010 10:39 AM

Okay managed to find something that says I need to set a mix. The idea seems to be that I mix the FMOD switch (AUX2) to GEAR. This I have done and the gear servo moves in the correct direction. However, something strange happens. With the GEAR switch in the DOWN position, the FMOD switch moves the servo from NEUTRAL to DOWN and back. With the GEAR switch in the UP position the FMOD switch moves the servo from UP to NEUTRAL. Clearly the FMOD switch needs to move the servo from the UP to the DOWN and vice versa.

Isn't this programming fun :(

AWorrest 08-06-2010 01:31 PM

The problem with mixing your flight mode switch into gear is that the flight mode switch has three not two value states which would be preferred for the gear function. You will have to use the offset to make the center position of the AUX2 SW go in the same direction as one of the other two modes. I don’t know which mode you want the gear to extend so this description may not be exactly what you want.</p>

Start with a different model and reset it. In the DeviceSEL, inhibit the output of the gear channel and set your flight mode to be activated by the AUX2 SW.</p>

In a linear program mix, mix AUX2 =&gt; GEAR. Set the top value of Pos0 to +125% and the bottom value to +70%. Set the bottom value of Pos1 to -100%. Set the Offset to +100. Set only FM1 select-switch to POS1. Leave all the others in POS0.</p>

Now go to the TRVL ADJ and set the +100% GEAR value to +150%.</p>

If you have the normal non-analog gear servo, this will make the gear go in one direction for FM0 and FM1. The gear will go in the other direction for FM2.</p>

If you aren’t using AUX4, the programming is simpler.</p>

Allan</p>

G-BBYB 08-06-2010 02:08 PM

Thanks Allan, I will give that a go, I am not sure I can set the mix to exceed 100% from memory it was -100 to +100??

You have confirmed that I am not doing something silly, which is great thank you for that. The manual shows how to do it, and it uses the three pos switch, it does work, but with reduced throw as if the centre was wrong as you say.

I may be able to alter the servo throw so that it activates the air valve even with the reduced throw, might be simpler..... How do others get around this then?

Cheers
Danny

AWorrest 08-06-2010 06:00 PM

If the mix rate range on your PCM9XII doesn&rsquo;t go from +125% to -125% then we discovered another difference between it and the X9303. However if you are not using AUX4 channel, I would recommend this program instead.</p>

In DeviceSEL, INH the GEAR and AUX4 outputs.</p>

In a linear mix, mix AUX4 =&gt; GEAR. Set the upper value of the Pos0 mix to -100% and the lower value to +100%, using the AUX4 SW (rudder D/R sw) to move the cursor. Set the upper value of the Pos1 mix to +100% and the lower value to -100%. Set one of the flight mode select switches to POS1. Leave the other select switches at POS0. Leave the offset at zero.</p>

There is no need to set the travel adjustment points. The programming is cleaner, simpler and more definitive.</p>

Allan</p>

G-BBYB 08-07-2010 03:54 AM

Thanks Allan I will give it a go :D

Cheers
Danny

AWorrest 08-07-2010 07:49 AM

Danny,</p>

It occurred to me after a night’s sleep, that what I wrote in post #9, should work if GEAR was used as the master instead of AUX4. In a linear mix, mix GEAR =&gt; GEAR with the same mix ratios and settings as posted in #9. It works on my X9303. If your servo throw is too much, you can trim it back in the TRVL ADJ.</p>

Allan</p>

G-BBYB 08-07-2010 04:38 PM

Hi Allan, well i must be stupid after a couple of hours playing, I couldn't get your suggestions to work. I tried using AUX4 but that gave the same results the servo would only move half travel. Changing the servo travel made no difference to the way the mix worked.

I have abandoned trying to get this to work and will stick to using the dedicated gear and retract switches to operate these manually (the flap part worked fine, but restriceted me to either full, 90 degs, or no flaps, the flap switch gives three positions, 0/45/90 and 45 degrees is useful for windy days). I may still keep the rates and trims seperate on their own flight modes, Takeoff/Normal/Landing, this bit works great.

Thanks for all your help and patience, it is much appreciated, if nothing else I understand the Tx better now.

Cheers
Danny

AWorrest 08-07-2010 07:05 PM

Danny,</p>

There is possibly a difference between your transmitter and my X9303 that is causing you not to be able to control the retracts with the flight mode switch. But I doubt that is the problem as I can duplicate what you are seeing if I either neglect to inhibit the gear channel or leave the lower values of the mix ratios as zeros. I hate to admit it online but my first two suggestions (posts 7 and 9) are not the best way to accomplish your objective.</p>

If you are willing to give it one last try and it still doesn’t work, I’ll have to concede there may be a difference between our transmitters.</p>

Start with a slot in the ACRO configuration and make sure it is in the default condition by doing a MDL Reset.</p>

In DeviceSEL, activate FLIGHT MODE using AUX2 SW. INHIBIT the output of the GEAR channel.</p>

In a linear program mix, mix GEAR =&gt; GEAR. Set the upper value of Pos0 mix to -100% and the lower value to +100%. (You will have to use the GEAR SW to highlight the appropriate positions.) In Pos1 reverse the mix ratios and set the upper value to +100% and the lower to -100%. Leave the Offset at zero. Leave all the select switches in POS0 except for one of the flight modes. I set FM2 to POS1 but it can be whichever flight mode you want.</p>

Looking at the MONITOR menu, the GEAR SW has no effect on the GEAR channel no manner where the flight mode switch is located. When the flight mode switch is in either POS-0 or POS-1, the pip on the gear channel is to the 100% position on the left. When the flight mode switch is in POS-2, the pip on the gear channel is to the 100% position on the right. </p>

Allan</p>

G-BBYB 08-08-2010 12:06 PM

Okay Allan you get the prize :D The menus are slightly different between your set and mine but interpreting what you mean has got it working. The key seemed to be disabling the Gear switch, and then mixing gear => gear (not sure what thats doing).

Well done for your persistence, fantastic to think that there are people out there that are prepared to help perfect strangers for nothing but a BIG thank you.

Cheers
Danny