Notices
JTEC / RADIOWAVE Support Get all your questions regarding JTEC/RADIOWAVE products answered here!

35% Extra 330

Old 11-23-2005, 12:12 AM
capngriz
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35% Extra 330

I am also glad to see you getting a support forum to help promote your product.

I am looking for some tips on getting this bird down to the 23 -24 lb range (saw your advetisement [link=https://www.jtecrc.com/35%25%20extra%20page.htm]35% Extra 330[/link])

What engine is required? If a DA 100 won't get it down, what weight should I expect with a DA 100?
What servos and how many?
Any special mods needed?

Would you share your setup for getting the weight down?

The extra would fly SO light if I could get it that low!!! It is huge!

Thanks
Old 11-23-2005, 07:32 AM
al

Default RE: 35% Extra 330

With the DA 100 your weight should fall within the 25 to 27 pound range depending on hardware, servos, batteries, exhaust system. 25lb and below You will need to consider one of the light 100 twins or a single cyclinder engine. This is where you would pick up the most weight savings.

I like titanium pushrods but if your looking to save weight use carbon fiber, tail wheel assemblies vary greatly from pratcially nothing to over a pound, Main landing gear wheels and hardware. Wheel pants mounts, Control horns all are different weights.

We supply a .065 aluminum wall wing and tail tube. I don't do it for weight savings but for strength. There is an option to replace that with carbon fiber for additional savings.

These would be some of the areas to consider if you really need to cut down on weight.

Here is another thing to consider. sometimes the lighter it is, it can have an adverse effect on the way it performs. Now you have to consider inertia in manuevers, (snaps) wind effect, stall speed and effect that will have on total performance.

we all believe that the lighter the better in planes, engines and servos. but consider something has to be sacrificed when making it lighter. On an engine do we leave out a bearing or lighten a crank to paper thin and hope it won't flex or break, Airplanes do we leave out a former or use lighter material such as balsa instead of spruce. maybe it won't twist when doing a snap or roll. or maybe when we pick it up or fly it, it breaks a stringer. Its all a compromise.

Sorry to be so winded but those would be areas on any plane to consider when trying to make it as light as possible.

Al
JTEC/RADIOWAVE

Old 11-27-2005, 11:37 PM
capngriz

OK Big Al, here is my setup:

1 5955 per ail
1 5955 rudder
Carbon Spinner - saved 3-4 oz
Carbon wing tube - saved 8-9oz
Carbon gear - saved 11-12 oz
Carbon tail wheel
Std Muffs

I don't believe (for now) in those light engines and love my DA. I've done more than you've listed and come in at :

yes, 28 lbs 2 oz

It's a good thing it still flies very light.

I think you are wasting your time trying to convence everyone that it will weight less. It DOES fly really well at 28 lbs with all the upgrades.

You should come and see. I'm about an hour from you.

ORIGINAL: al

With the DA 100 your weight should fall within the 25 to 27 pound range depending on hardware, servos, batteries, exhaust system. 25lb and below You will need to consider one of the light 100 twins or a single cyclinder engine. This is where you would pick up the most weight savings.

I like titanium pushrods but if your looking to save weight use carbon fiber, tail wheel assemblies vary greatly from pratcially nothing to over a pound, Main landing gear wheels and hardware. Wheel pants mounts, Control horns all are different weights.

We supply a .065 aluminum wall wing and tail tube. I don't do it for weight savings but for strength. There is an option to replace that with carbon fiber for additional savings.

These would be some of the areas to consider if you really need to cut down on weight.

Here is another thing to consider. sometimes the lighter it is, it can have an adverse effect on the way it performs. Now you have to consider inertia in manuevers, (snaps) wind effect, stall speed and effect that will have on total performance.

we all believe that the lighter the better in planes, engines and servos. but consider something has to be sacrificed when making it lighter. On an engine do we leave out a bearing or lighten a crank to paper thin and hope it won't flex or break, Airplanes do we leave out a former or use lighter material such as balsa instead of spruce. maybe it won't twist when doing a snap or roll. or maybe when we pick it up or fly it, it breaks a stringer. Its all a compromise.

Sorry to be so winded but those would be areas on any plane to consider when trying to make it as light as possible.

Al
JTEC/RADIOWAVE

Old 11-28-2005, 06:38 PM
extratorker
My Feedback: (8)

So it sounds like you like the way the airplane flies but your main gripe is it weighs more then advertised? My Panzl (ARF version) weighs 28.5 lbs with full cannisters, 2 8611 per wing,1 per elevator and 2 on the rudder plus a tray, 2 2400 fromecos w/ regs and 1 for the ignition. I've got a DA 100, Mejzlik prop,carbon spinner and tube. Kavan wheels and a lightweight tailwheel along with a foam lightweight pilot. I think one thing that manufactuers cant be liable for is the variances in the manufactuering process, i.e. wood weights,foam weight and especially the amount of glue used. On a sheeted foam wing and tail I've seen as much as a 1 lb difference between one set and a identical set (different airplane).

Now I've owned many other arfs and kits in this size range and so far my panzl has had the lowest weight. I had one arf that came out to 32lbs and a kit built plane that was 31 lbs and they still flew well. My Panzl at 28.5 flies very light and is an absolute vertical monster. I've even owned a composite 33% plane that was supposed to weigh as little as 22lbs but it came in at 27 lbs with less equipment then what I've got in the Panzl.

Another question would I would ask is your plane a kit or an arf? The reason I ask is I built a kit version also,and I ended up with a heavier airframe then what I did with the arf. The only thing I can figure out is that I used too much glue and went overboard with the graphics (don't laugh, 9oz I weighed them) and a little too heavy with the paint and clear coat(wanted it real shiny).

So the final result of all this is,yes the airplanes are weighing more then originally advertised(talked with Kevin at Jtec and was told they are revising the web to reflect this), but in all fairness the airplanes still fly phenomenally at the average weights they are coming in at.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:41 PM
capngriz

McQueen

Not meaning to gripe....just wonder why I can't get it to the advertised weight??? You're missing the point. I've spent many extra dollars just to get it to 28lbs and I've put less servos than your typical setup. I don't think I'm going out on a limb here. Look at my post and calculate what it would weight with all of the stcok components....scary. If mods/upgrades are necessary, it should be noted.

Liking the way it flies and meeting expectations are not one in the same.

If Al/Kevin said that are updating their website, I think that is the right approach. It does fly good at 28lbs. Let's let everyone know how good it does perform at that weight!

ORIGINAL: extratorker

So it sounds like you like the way the airplane flies but your main gripe is it weighs more then advertised? My Panzl (ARF version) weighs 28.5 lbs with full cannisters, 2 8611 per wing,1 per elevator and 2 on the rudder plus a tray, 2 2400 fromecos w/ regs and 1 for the ignition. I've got a DA 100, Mejzlik prop,carbon spinner and tube. Kavan wheels and a lightweight tailwheel along with a foam lightweight pilot. I think one thing that manufactuers cant be liable for is the variances in the manufactuering process, i.e. wood weights,foam weight and especially the amount of glue used. On a sheeted foam wing and tail I've seen as much as a 1 lb difference between one set and a identical set (different airplane).

Now I've owned many other arfs and kits in this size range and so far my panzl has had the lowest weight. I had one arf that came out to 32lbs and a kit built plane that was 31 lbs and they still flew well. My Panzl at 28.5 flies very light and is an absolute vertical monster. I've even owned a composite 33% plane that was supposed to weigh as little as 22lbs but it came in at 27 lbs with less equipment then what I've got in the Panzl.

Another question would I would ask is your plane a kit or an arf? The reason I ask is I built a kit version also,and I ended up with a heavier airframe then what I did with the arf. The only thing I can figure out is that I used too much glue and went overboard with the graphics (don't laugh, 9oz I weighed them) and a little too heavy with the paint and clear coat(wanted it real shiny).

So the final result of all this is,yes the airplanes are weighing more then originally advertised(talked with Kevin at Jtec and was told they are revising the web to reflect this), but in all fairness the airplanes still fly phenomenally at the average weights they are coming in at.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:46 AM
extratorker

Didn't mean for you to take gripe in a bad way,sorry if it came that way. I hear what your saying though.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:53 AM
extratorker

There's one at the field running stock components. We'll have to see what his is weighing in at. Part of the point I was trying to make was the whole thing about variances in the actual build of the plane. If your talking arfs and prototypes which is probably where the original weight comes from, then perhaps when the factory delivers the first couple for testing they are the absolute best example they can put forth so they are assured of getting the contract or what not. I don't really know a whole lot about how that works. Once in production and you have various people building, they're not all going to be exact mirror copies and maybe one guy uses more glue then the next. Maybe the balsa supply is a different weight then the previous. How many times have you built a kit and had the same size pieces of balsa sheet have incredible differences in weight? I think thats the point I was trying to make.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:56 AM
extratorker

I meant to ask earlier,what kind of batteries are you running?
Old 11-29-2005, 09:05 PM
capngriz

1 1400 NIMH on ignition
2 2100 NiMH on receiver

One receiver
NO power box or match boxes
NO smoke
NO choke servo
NO overdoing it on the glue - my builder has been doing this for 30 years (I helped a little).
I'm telling you, this thing is bare bones.

Again, other pilots find it hard to believe it weights 28lbs.

If there is a way,without going to a lighter engine, I justed wanted to know about it.

I meant to ask earlier,what kind of batteries are you running?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:01 AM
capngriz

Jim,

Do you have a weight one this one yet? I would love to meet up with you guys and compare builds and fly some. Just let me know.

There's one at the field running stock components. We'll have to see what his is weighing in at. Part of the point I was trying to make was the whole thing about variances in the actual build of the plane. If your talking arfs and prototypes which is probably where the original weight comes from, then perhaps when the factory delivers the first couple for testing they are the absolute best example they can put forth so they are assured of getting the contract or what not. I don't really know a whole lot about how that works. Once in production and you have various people building, they're not all going to be exact mirror copies and maybe one guy uses more glue then the next. Maybe the balsa supply is a different weight then the previous. How many times have you built a kit and had the same size pieces of balsa sheet have incredible differences in weight? I think thats the point I was trying to make.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:19 AM
extratorker

No, I haven't been to the field in awhile and don't know his number to get ahold of him. I did find out that he's got CF gear on it now. I guess he tore out the stock units on a deadstick or something. Flying sounds like fun. Unfortunatley I'm gonna be gone for about a month,but in January a whole bunch of us are having get together. You should come up. It'll be fun. All giant scale aerobats.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:03 AM
al

Hey Greg,

caculate the wing loading, that will give you a true comparision to other planes. I'll think you'll find that the wing loading is not to bad. That and the airfoil make it fly light.

We'd really would like to get together and fly sometime. The pictures I have seen of your plane look real nice.

Al
Old 12-13-2005, 09:34 AM
capngriz

My carbon gear delaminated and I'm waiting on a replacement. Hopefully, it will be more sturdy as well.

I tried to fly yesterday and my fuel overflow tubing (how, I have no idea) came loose and I got some fuel in the bottom of the fuse! Fortunately, it was behind the last former. I did get some on the throttle servo connector. I cleaned it with alcohol and I'm letting it dry out REAL GOOD. Do you think this will be adequate?

I just checked your website and did not see the sq in posted, but I think it is around 1950.

At 28 lbs even, that puts my wing loading at 33.08 oz.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:05 PM
al

Greg,

Try some acetone, You should be able to get it at Lowes or Home depot, it will absorb the oil and remove the residue . just be careful of the fumes.

squares are 1950

Al