Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > KingTech Turbines International
Reload this Page >

K80F "Fuel Valve Overload" Message

Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

K80F "Fuel Valve Overload" Message

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:24 AM
nippaero
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K80F "Fuel Valve Overload" Message

I have a brand new K80F that I installed in a DreamWorks Turbinator last fall. The engine ran fine on the bench and several taxi tests before I hung up the plane for the winter. Yesterday we took it to the field for it's maiden flight. I could not get the engine to start because it throws a "fuel valve overload" message as soon as you initiate the startup sequence. We made no changes to the plane since it was put away.

Here are the things I have done so far to troubleshoot.
1) Double checked ECU pack voltage. Does not seem to be a voltage problem.
2) Removed both gas and fuel valve and manually checked them on the bench with a 6v battery. The solenoid works fine.
3) When I run a test fuel/gas valve manually from the data terminal I hear them click and then I immediately get the fuel valve overload message.
4) If I unplug the valve and initiate the start sequence, the motor burner comes on and tries to start.
5) Rebind radio and ran radio setup.
6) Measured valve resistance and they are 26 ohms..

https://youtu.be/sihaAbhmd3U Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-16 09.58.16.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	2168186   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-16 09.59.28.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	2168187   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-16 10.00.01.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	2168188  
Old 06-16-2016, 10:35 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

ok that message is saying to much voltage is going to the fuel valve. I have never seen that message before.

Something to try. Swap the fuel and start valves and try the valve test and see if the problem follows to the start valve. This will isolate the problem down to ECU or fuel valve.

Call Barry any time also or you can also give me a call if you want. (727)421-5742. Barry would be the best to call though.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:26 PM
nippaero

Just got back into town from camping. I will give you a call tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2016, 04:37 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The engine in question may have little time, but it is a five year old engine that changed many hands.

This issue was covered and discussed in great depth with Mike last week through phone. Seems like there maybe some failure in the connections or the ECU itself. Unfortunately that the warranty transfer and warranty on those components have expired some three to four years ago, and sending the entire engine in for further inspection and evaluation was suggested.

Regards,
Barry
Old 06-19-2016, 09:16 PM
nippaero

I did a bunch of troubleshooting tonight to try to isolate the issue. Different battery packs to see if it is voltage related. I swapped in a new receiver and isolated the turbine just by itself. I'm using Spektrum FailSafe with dual Life 6.6v rx packs. The ECU pack is a 3 cell Life. The ECU and valves seem to work independently of one another but not together. When I move the throttle up and down to start I hear the valve click and then the error flashes.

I am the second owner of the engine. I bought it from a local modeler last fall who purchased it brand new on 2/24/14. It was still in the box and original wrapping. So the engine is a little over two years old. I have 29m TT on the motor all of which was on my bench prior to installing it. The thing ran like a champ.

I don't have access to another ECU. The closest one is a buddy who has a K100G with FADEC 108K. Not sure if it would run my motor and valves as a test. Is there a way to "reset" or reinstall the firmware on my ECU?

Barry,
What would I need to send you? Just the ECU or the whole package?

Thanks for the help!

Name:	2016-06-16 10.08.37.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	2168733  
Old 06-20-2016, 11:05 AM
nippaero

Talked with Barry today. Shipping the K80 to Kingtech for further diagnostics....
Old 06-20-2016, 05:03 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by nippaero
Talked with Barry today. Shipping the K80 to Kingtech for further diagnostics....
Good talking to you today. Dirk will get it all straightened out for you.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:53 PM
nippaero

Just following up here. I got four good flights on the jet today. Barry and Dirk did a great job helping me out. Here is what I found. I can only get the turbine to run on a 2S lipo battery. If I try using a 3S life I get the error every time. I tried two brand new life packs and one right out of another plane with a K100. Even if I bleed off the battery. If I run the life through a regulator to get it down around 9.0 volts it works. Anything above that and the fuel valve overload error comes back. Which makes no sense because Dirk said he used a fully charged life battery on the bench. Gets me, but we can repeat it 100%. I just switched to a lipo and I'm happy with that.

Also, the new startup settings Dirk programmed into the ecu are really nice. The start up is so much smoother now. My K80F

is running really good now. Thanks guys.

Name:	2016-07-11 15.31.41.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	342.8 KB
ID:	2172641