Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

KTech 100 v1 to 120 v2?

Old 07-01-2017, 05:01 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default KTech 100 v1 to 120 v2?

I've got a quick set of questions. I'm converting my BVM Cougar from a v1 KT 100 to a new KT 120v2. I've got a million wires in the plane and just want to make this as simple as possible. I've noticed the blue, black, red, red wiring harness appears the same as the old one. Can I use the same harness from the old one without having to fish it out through the fuselage? Also, I noticed there's many more wires into the older xicoy ECU like gas return and thermocoupler. Are these running through the other harness included?

I have one of the new KingTech telemetry units and planning to remove the older Xicoy unit too

I'm getting ready to sit down and READ the manual but wanted to ask the differences of the turbines.

Lastly, I've mounted the turbine into the mounts at the same position as the old one and it is able to slide ever so slightly. Is this to allow for expansion when it's running and the metal expands or have I done something incorrectly. The mounting bolts/nuts are as tight as they can get. Thanks for your help!
John
Old 07-01-2017, 05:48 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by patrnflyr View Post
I've got a quick set of questions. I'm converting my BVM Cougar from a v1 KT 100 to a new KT 120v2. I've got a million wires in the plane and just want to make this as simple as possible. I've noticed the blue, black, red, red wiring harness appears the same as the old one. Can I use the same harness from the old one without having to fish it out through the fuselage? Also, I noticed there's many more wires into the older xicoy ECU like gas return and thermocoupler. Are these running through the other harness included?
Can't help you with the other questions but will say that the wiring harnesses are not interchangeable between the V1 and V2 engines. I think that's why there is no upgrade path to the newer engines with auto restart capabilities and the ECU's are completely different.

I had a V1 K-160 in a KingCat right after those engines came out and it got recalled and exchanged for a V2 engine. I was hoping I would not have to tear the whole back end of the model apart to put in a new harness but no such luck. I also had to wait for the longer length engine cable to be released before I could reinstall the engine as the included one was too short just like the V1 was initially.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:40 PM
patrnflyr

Edit: I've switched out the cables after reading the manual. No info in the manual on the telemetry. Where does it plug into in the ECU?

Thank you Zeeb. Your help is always appreciated. My cable is long enough. Now, just need to rip stuff out that's ziptied all over the inside and start over.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:40 PM
Desert Fox 1

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

patrnflyr,
The Telemetry module plugs into the GSU on the ECU. The GSU then plugs into the Telemetry module. They can both be used at the same time if you want to.

Cheers!
Desert Fox 1
Old 07-01-2017, 10:07 PM
patrnflyr

Thanks, Desert fox. After thinking it through in my head, I went back out to the shop and got the turbine running which did just fine. I've plugged in the telemetry module as you said and the GSU is working with the telemetry module daisy chained in. My TM1000 is bound with a solid light but I'm getting no data on my DX20 yet. (It does work on my KingCat). Next, will rebind the TM1000 again with the new module in place.

I'll figure it out and I really need to clean up everything also. There's wires everywhere!
Old 07-02-2017, 07:47 AM
patrnflyr

Got up this morning after a little sleep and went out. I trained the highs and lows from my radio and engine ran perfectly. What should normal idle be at RPM-wise?

Found on the GSU that there's a telemetry configuration page. It lists Jeti, Graupner, Futaba and JR. Didn't see a Spektrum. Unfortunately no manual that I can find. Will keep looking around. Anybody with the new KingTech telemetry, Help!

Last edited by patrnflyr; 07-02-2017 at 12:11 PM.