Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > KingTech Turbines International
Reload this Page >

Importance of a FOD screen & Installation.

Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

Importance of a FOD screen & Installation.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 10:26 AM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ..

:-)

Last edited by flejter1; 11-03-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This subject has been going though my mind recently. I noticed on my K45 that the screws extend deeper than the base of the FOD screen, and there is a small gap. I thought of RTV to seal it up... but the issue I have with that is... the FOD screen isn't "Mounted" onto the engine in any way, other than a slip fit. AND... the bottom ring appears to be Polypropylene. (not a surface RTV likes) SO... if the FOD screen moves, the RTV will split from the ring and the engine will wind up eating it.

After that... I figured I would just get the fit as good as I can, and I even added screen to the intake track of the model.

I Know you guys are the one who are doing the warranty repairs... and I will re-fit my screen with RTV... but to me... it seems like a bad idea.

I think a GREAT idea would be to put threaded holes in the front aluminum cover, and then use longer screws in the FOD bottom ring (that sandwiches the screen) and just bolt it to the front of the engine. Or better yet... just do like Wren did. Make the screen part of the front cover. (just a thought since you guys are always improving things)
Old 11-03-2017, 06:34 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

:-)

Last edited by flejter1; 11-03-2017 at 07:20 PM.