Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

Kingtech 210 Whistle

Old 04-07-2018, 09:36 AM
flyn2high
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kingtech 210 Whistle

I my Skymaster T-33 I have a fairly loud high pitch whistle at high throttle settings. I've been told this could be very dangerous.

Here is a video that you can sort of hear the whistle on take off (at 1:10 min) and when I accelerate to do a roll (at 2:30 min). For some reason the whistle is a bit muted in the video. As I remember it was a lot louder in person.

I've been told that it could be due to the exhaust tube bell-mouth being too far from the back of the turbine and that hot exhaust was recirculating back to the intake.

I opened it back up to see what I could do. Please see the attached photo. The exhaust tube bell-mouth is actually slightly overlapping the rear of the turbine by about 1/8 inch. I am now wondering if the bi-pass is too tight a fit on the turbine. At the front of the bi-pass where it necks down it is 1/4" clearance. At the widest point it is 1/2" clearance. Should I remove the bi-pass and give it a try?

The settings are all set to the default for diesel fuel except I reduced the max rpm to 114,000 rpm so as not to overpower the plane.

Please let me know what you think,

Old 04-07-2018, 10:05 AM
Custmachr
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by flyn2high View Post
I my Skymaster T-33 I have a fairly loud high pitch whistle at high throttle settings. I've been told this could be very dangerous.

Here is a video that you can sort of hear the whistle on take off (at 1:10 min) and when I accelerate to do a roll (at 2:30 min). For some reason the whistle is a bit muted in the video. As I remember it was a lot louder in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHUgUCrm07c&t=428s

I've been told that it could be due to the exhaust tube bell-mouth being too far from the back of the turbine and that hot exhaust was recirculating back to the intake.

I opened it back up to see what I could do. Please see the attached photo. The exhaust tube bell-mouth is actually slightly overlapping the rear of the turbine by about 1/8 inch. I am now wondering if the bi-pass is too tight a fit on the turbine. At the front of the bi-pass where it necks down it is 1/4" clearance. At the widest point it is 1/2" clearance. Should I remove the bi-pass and give it a try?

The settings are all set to the default for diesel fuel except I reduced the max rpm to 114,000 rpm so as not to overpower the plane.

Please let me know what you think,

you should be able to find the exact recommended distance from the exhaust tube to the pipe. It is generally in the 3/4 to 1 inch range. But this distance is measured to where the straight part of the pipe starts. The bell does not matter. It appears in the picture your turbine is too far from the pipe.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:45 AM
flyn2high

Thanks for your reply. I can move the pipe up 1/2" with no issues. It make sense now but looking at the KT manual it shows what I thought the small flair out was the bell-mouth. After checking with other turbine manuals they clearly show the distance to the end of the straight pipe as you say.

Here is Kingtech for the 210.

This is from Jet Central

Old 04-07-2018, 11:36 AM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

That is the pipe distance NOT the bell mouth. Pretend the bell isn't there.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:42 AM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

The kingtech drawing shows the pipe entrance.
You used the bell mouth entrance.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:59 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your engine is way to far forward from the pipe. Move it back one inch from the pipe. Don't include the bell mouth
Old 04-07-2018, 03:22 PM
flyn2high

I ended up moving the engine back. It was a lot more work then moving the pipe forward but it will give more clearance between the front of the turbine and the bypass. I also keep the rear end of the exhaust tube in the scale location. Actually I needed to move it back only 16 mm (5/8") to be at 30 mm from the forward end of the tube. This is the max recommended in the manual.

I'm not sure how much that will effect the CG. I will have to check but I don't think it will be much.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2018, 03:53 AM
gooseF22

when I check a new installation, I stick my hand around the back of the nozzle, if I can get my fingers most way in, its close.. just a quick test.