Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

K85G2 diesel or kerosine

Old 01-13-2020, 02:08 PM
Speedrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K85G2 diesel or kerosine

Hi,

I was wondering which fuel is best to use, diesel or A1....
Any bad habits on any of these?

What are the ECU settings for a reliable turbine ops on these fuels?
As Iím new on turbines, I donít have any idea😉

rgds,

Eric
Old 01-13-2020, 02:26 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Kero on all of mine, KT, JC, TJT, I used Kero first ( last 10 years ) from HD, the clear one but, it got too expensive then, I switched to Diesel ( a year ago ) didn't like it because it allowed algie to grow fast, I was not adding algiecide, got a filter plugged on my Boomer, 2 dead stick landings, clear the filter and switched back Kero, I now get it from a local oil company that has a pump, it has a red color, it's about $20 for 5 gallons and I add a tiny bit of algiecide to it because it comes from a tank underground, the Kero benefits are, price, it burns at a lower temp, less crust build-up on the internal parts, doesn't smells as bad as Diesel, it doesn't smoke like Diesel, easy to get in my area.

After you do one or two bench runs mount it on the jet then, you will have to fine tune it to the install, all installs are different, the tunning is like the one we do on the gasoline engines, just a bit of fine tunning here and there, till it is running clean ( no flames )

Hope this helps.

Last edited by CARS II; 01-14-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:54 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

I used Diesel on mine not a single problem...been flawless....

Oh and not a single tuning done ever on any of my motor....they all run no flame or anything weird....
Old 01-13-2020, 04:30 PM
CARS II

Most guys experience a no hassle intalls in most jets, some times adjustments are required, I've had clean installs from the begining but once in awhile tuning has to be done, most times is not that critical and the user chooses to run them thay way.

On the Diesel part, I just choose not too use it for the reasons mentioned above, can't stand all that smoke after a flight and the odor of it is just too strong for my nose
Old 01-13-2020, 04:38 PM
Dansy

I have a few older one and still haven’t needed adjustment...

I burned large amount of Jet fuel during my service time.....so I can stand pretty any smell.... LOL and if you want smoke burn JP5 for a while
Old 01-13-2020, 05:10 PM
CARS II

Totally agreed My nose used to take it all, not no more, even the smell of used oil gives me nausea now.
When I switched my TJT3000 ( 20+ years old but only 14 original hours ) it took the Diesel just like the Kero, no adjustments at all.

Now go burn some Diesel or Kero.

Happy flying to both of you, I know I will
The following users liked this post:
A10FLYR (01-14-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 05:55 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by CARS II View Post
Totally agreed My nose used to take it all, not no more, even the smell of used oil gives me nausea now.
When I switched my TJT3000 ( 20+ years old but only 14 original hours ) it took the Diesel just like the Kero, no adjustments at all.

Now go burn some Diesel or Kero.

Happy flying to both of you, I know I will
Ya the problem is that season called winter ahah
Old 01-13-2020, 06:57 PM
CARS II

Sorry! Didn't see your location, how about I do a flight in your name this Fri
Old 01-13-2020, 07:12 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by CARS II View Post
Sorry! Didn't see your location, how about I do a flight in your name this Fri

On diesel...sure LOL
Old 01-14-2020, 05:46 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by Speedrick View Post
Hi,

I was wondering which fuel is best to use, diesel or A1....
Any bad habits on any of these?

What are the ECU settings for a reliable turbine ops on these fuels?
As Iím new on turbines, I donít have any idea😉

rgds,

Eric

Hello Eric.

Diesel is the recommended fuel and also the fuel the engine is setup for from the factory. The only down side would be it weighs slightly more then jetA and also it smokes after shutdown. The upsides to using it far out number the negatives.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:19 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
Diesel is the recommended fuel and also the fuel the engine is setup for from the factory. The only down side would be it weighs slightly more then jetA and also it smokes after shutdown. The upsides to using it far out number the negatives.
I feel like it's probably been hashed out numerous times, but can you rattle off a few said upsides? I presume for most, availability is #1. I have easy access to Jet-A at a very comparable price to diesel and I can't stand the smell of diesel so I choose Jet-A, but curious of the benefits I may be missing out on.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:28 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Higher power density and better economy.

I have ready access to Jet fuel and run diesel in my turbines
Old 01-15-2020, 04:38 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by Auburn02 View Post
I feel like it's probably been hashed out numerous times, but can you rattle off a few said upsides? I presume for most, availability is #1. I have easy access to Jet-A at a very comparable price to diesel and I can't stand the smell of diesel so I choose Jet-A, but curious of the benefits I may be missing out on.
Ok
1. Better lubricating properties
2. Makes more power for the same amount of fuel. This is why the start setting needs to be increased to run jet-A
3. If its making more power that means the fuel pump needs to run less to maintain the desired RPM.
3. This in turn is better on the pump wear/ ECU battery life.
4. Better fuel economy since the fuel burns hotter it takes less flow for the same amount of RPM.
5. When the engine does go for service the guys are happy because they don't have to deal with nasty jet -A
6. Cost of fuel. Jet -a is more and harder to find.
7. Jet A is clear so hard to see. Diesel is yellowish and can be seen better for seeing your fuel level in the tanks.
8. Also not knowing what you are getting.. Some JetA fuel farms have prist premixed and some don't you would have to ask if they do. If its an airport that does not sell allot of jetA then it sits for long periods of time and can have a higher chance of developing microbial growth. We sump ours daily and during the spring and fall months when we get morning fog allot we also have more water then normal in the fuel farm. This is normal but needs to be drained out. Not all people take care of their stuff like they should so you might be getting some water content from jetA. Diesel is sold so often and not sitting I would say the chances are less for issues with the fuel. I have seen some of these fuel farms with jet A sit not be used but once a month.

For the smell... I work on real aircraft all day and we hate the smell of jetA. We play rock paper scissors every time a fuel filter is due because we don't want to smell like nasty jet A all day. We sump out 5 gallons of fuel everyday and I could take that and have free fuel yet I pay to use diesel because its much better for the engine.