Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > KingTech Turbines International
Reload this Page >

K80E starting and running problems

Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

K80E starting and running problems

Old 05-31-2020, 01:22 PM
jetrichie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K80E starting and running problems

Got a K80E back from service but not starting and running like it used to very erratic startup and runs fairly rough up to full throttle, was run during the day in bright sunshine so couldnt see but sounded like it would be throwing flames as poped and banged during accelerating, I am running on kero and wondering if it came back setup for diesel?
Anyone got parameters for Kero running that I could compare or know what is normally changed.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:09 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

When I got mine ( G1 ) it was run on Diesel, I run Kero and it had some flames on the start sequence, the only thing I change was the PW pump ignit from 26 to 17 to reduce the fuel been used on the start sequence.

K80G1 flames on start up sequence.
The following users liked this post:
RCM IRAQ (07-13-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 04:19 PM
CARS II

A short video will be helpful.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:07 PM
jetrichie

Originally Posted by CARS II View Post
A short video will be helpful.
I did video it and it cant really be made out from video really obvious when standing beside it, need to do it again.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:28 PM
jetrichie

Originally Posted by CARS II View Post
When I got mine ( G1 ) it was run on Diesel, I run Kero and it had some flames on the start sequence, the only thing I change was the PW pump ignit from 26 to 17 to reduce the fuel been used on the start sequence.

K80G1 flames on start up sequence.
Thanks but that is not a setting on my ecu being older AU605 and gas start
Old 06-01-2020, 04:06 PM
CARS II

Oh! Ok, I have a turbine been run with with a AU 303, I will check the manual soon to see how to adjust fuel drip.

Also, when ever I need help with that FEDEC I email Gaspar from XICOY, he is very helpful and usually replies right away, he is my got to guy when I need help with this type of FEDEC.

Last edited by CARS II; 06-01-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:41 PM
CARS II

The AU 605 manual is on line, I would read on the pump start ramp settings.

Last edited by CARS II; 06-01-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:09 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

I have similar problem with mine, and came on here to see if anyone had posted settings, I ran it for first time over weekend after it came back from service in march from the euro service centre.
I am fairly familiar with the all the ECU settings from my wren and dare I mention it JetJoe days but have no idea of the difference in what they should be for running on diesel.
The front menu settings all look ok for kero, pump start auto+2 and start ramp 006 these can vary with type of pump used, 6 is not high the fliteworks pumps were normal 4 but this kingtech pump is bigger but havnt tried to lower it yet.
I know from the earlier ECU's there is also a back menu which you access holding down few buttons during switch on but the sequence dosnt work on the 605. In there you have a 3 further pump ramp settings plus lots of other stuff that also may need tweaked.

If there are setting differences between running Kingtechs on Diesel and kero you would think that info would be on the website or in the manuals.
My K80E is an early one manual is dated 2009 and no mention in it about diesel only kero and Jet A1 so was probably never designed to run on diesel in early days but from the service report I got back with the turbine they have fitted a updated fuel ring and combustion chamber so this is why I suspect its probably now also suitable for diesel.
My ECU was reset to zero cycles, zero minutes so if they ran it after rebuild they must have used there own ecu or reset mine after the test run.
I have emailed Jean Marc in Luxemburg to ask him for the kero settings when I get them I will let you know.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:13 AM
CARS II

Here is part of the G manual, there you can see what needs to be adjusted when runing kero or Diesel, the adjustments are minimal and just needed to get the engine from zero rpms to idle, after that it's all the same.

I believe your E model replaced parts are the same as when new, to be able to run an old engine with diesel physically nothing has to be done, as mentioned before, I have a 18 to 29 years old engine that I got new, I used Kero from HD till 3 years ago when I switched to Kero from the pump then about 1 1/2 years ago it run it with Diesel, no adjustments needed, zero adjustments then I didn't like the smell or smoke and switched back to Kero, no adjustments needed, two numbers change when runing Diesel, the PW on idle and max rpms went up by 3 points and the temp on idle and max rpms went up by a few degrees, nothing to be concerned at all, this is a result of the thicker viscosity of the Diesel, when I switched back to Kero those numbers when back down to where they were before.

Last edited by CARS II; 06-02-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:48 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the details they did state "upgraded" ring and combustion chamber rather than replaced which would suggest better that original, If I dont hear back from kingtech europe by weekend might play about with some settings, could try on diesel just would rather keep all my turbines on same fuel save needing to build second fuel station, extra space needed for transport etc
Old 06-03-2020, 01:54 PM
CARS II

It's nice to know the your engine has better parts than the originals.

I will never use Diesel ever again, using Diesel creates a bit more crud on the internal parts because if the thicker viscosity.

Good luck and please, enjoy that engine, they are AWESOME!!
Old 06-04-2020, 03:54 AM
jetrichie

Thanks for replies, has anyone got a gas start K80 they can let me have their parameters for kero, kero start figures are different