Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

MUSTANG WHISTLE ON HIGH SPEED PASS

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

MUSTANG WHISTLE ON HIGH SPEED PASS

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MUSTANG WHISTLE ON HIGH SPEED PASS

I need some big brains in here to help me. We just completed the Aeroworks P51. We used a DA 85 and a solo prop 24 inch 4 blade. We will maiden her this weekend. Build Thread located at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_94...tm.htm#9426155
WE have the look but need the sound. The 4 blade should give us some cool sounds but we need to replicate the high pitch whistle. I am not sure if it’s a wind through the radiator, engine, or airframe whistle on the real aircraft but it’s cool.

IF we could adjust it for just high speed passes (not whistling all the time) it would move from annoying to realistic.
Any ideas?????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89948.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1524170  
Old 10-27-2010, 07:33 PM
bubba153

Default RE: MUSTANG WHISTLE ON HIGH SPEED PASS

I have no current ideas, but do have an old memory of "whistles" or "sirens" that could be added to your plane. Basically, these were round metallic "buttons" with a central hole that you installed on your plane, normally on the top of the wing between the leading edge and the highest point of the airfoil. You would cut a round hole that the whistle would pressure fit into (or glue around the edges). Most folks used a small plastic cup (aerosol caps worked well) underneath the whistle to isolate it from the rest of the wing cavity. A single whistle gave a fairly pure tone, but you could use a couple of whistles at slightly different frequencies to get a warbird-type sound, and sometimes even a Stuka-like scream. Around the same time, you could also get Stuka dive sirens which were a rotary-vane type siren that usually was attached to the belly or the gear. I haven't seen either in years probably last in the early 90's. I suppose you could always get one of those electronic players with speaker and amp that are used for anything for engine sounds on electrics to machine gun sounds on warbirds and program any sound you like into it.

I have a couple of planes that emit fairly high-pitched whistles unintentionally. In one case I think it's the exposed pull-pull cables, and in the other, I'm fairly sure it's the flying wires.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Condor060

Yeah, I have an Ultra Stick with a OS 55 that has a nice whistle sound in a dive. I would like to re-create that with the mustang. I was thinking I might string a tight wire in the air scoop and allow air to pass through the scoop to the dump door.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:49 PM
bubba153

The wire idea might work, but might take some experimentation to get it to sing. What about trying the whistles you see on nerf footballs or whistling frisbees. I realize the sound isn't really the same as you're looking for, but you might be able to modify it by controlling the cavity behind the whistle, or maybe modifying the actual whistle with a dremel. I think it was I4C that made the whistles and siren I was thinking about, but as far as I can tell, they are no more.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Fleet

You mean this whistle??

http://www.asb.tv/videos/view.php?v=...tegory&catID=1

http://www.asb.tv/videos/view.php?v=...tegory&catID=1

Ray W.

PS , I was told by those who know, it's the radiator most noticeable when it's open.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Condor060

YEEEESSSSSS Gotta find a way to replicate it. I thought it was radiator also.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:59 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

I believe the whistle you are talking about on the full scale Mustang may be the supercharger. I have been fortunate enought to see the real mustangs in low high speed fly bys and noticed the sound difference at different speeds. It could be airflow elsewhere such as the radiator air inlet. I have never seen a written explanation for the whistle. On rc aircraft the whistle can be fro airflow over the cowling and engine air inlets and exits. I have never heard an rc siren that sounds like the mustang whistle. Good luck on getting what you are looking for! I would like to see that mustang fly with that power combo!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:00 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Yes, it's the supercharge on the P-51. The Corsairs whistle was from it's oil coolers giving it the Jap nick name Whistling Death.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've wondered if you made the radiator exhaust door functional if the whistle could be reproduced there. Opening and closing that door could control the pitch maybe.
Edwin
Old 10-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Condor060

Here are some great mustang sounds

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xITLBRkOd2k&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Fleet

Here is some enlightenment on the issue. In the following GML event I attended in the video, there were numerous planes with engine driven superchargers. Do note the supercharger whine of the P-47s that campeigned the R-2800 with two speed superchargers. Sounds near the same as a Corsair and almost like the P-51.

Never heard the sound from the P-63 (not a Merlin) nor the P-38.

http://www.asb.tv/videos/view.php?v=adee11c6

I ,and my friends did note that the whine was most noticeable on the Mustang from the head on advantage.

I've toyed with the idea of creating an exhaust powered turbo with no application except the sound. Figured , it be easier on a gas engine as a fuel burner could clog up and force exhaust back pressure issues. Asside, is there enough exhaust velocity to even spin an impeller fast enough.

Ray W.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Condor060

Point very well taken Ray. I agree, gotta be the charger noise. I am experimenting with a small siren that is powered by small electric motor. Might be able to give us the noise we need. Good work.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:23 PM
RICMOD5634

I have mounted Deer chaser whistles in the radiator scoop. The ones that you put on the bumper of a car. Some even look like bombs and use sticky tape to hold them right under the wing. Nice sound, but don't know how to limit the sound to just high speed passes.