Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Who makes the best quality kit these days?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Who makes the best quality kit these days?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 11:01 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who makes the best quality kit these days?

I do enjoy all types of flying, there is some place for everyone. The jets are fun to watch as well as the guys flying the Yaks and such, But for me it is the War-bird mostly World war 2 planes. Those are the kits that I enjoy building! Topflight has been good about them but is there other WW2 kits that as good or better? I am in the Market for a new kit I am almost done with my Topflight P-51. and it is building season here in Wyoming!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:03 AM
coachdavis10

The last kit I built was the .40 sized Corsair from Great Planes... I thought it was a good kit and easy fun build... Have the P-51 on my to-do-list.... I build mostly from plans... The best ARF I had is a Skylane 62 but I didn't put it together qand the BH Models T-28 I have had for 2 years and it flies great... I don't remmeber anything being to bad with it except maybe a personal dislike for some hardware...
Old 12-13-2010, 11:30 AM
tony0707

HI
AEROWORKS ARF'S
A LOT of good quality R&D goes into the kits and they fly exceptionally well

WILD HARE ARF'S
GOOD FLYING planes i have seen at the field
Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kits: Balsa USA, easy to build and fly. Good ARF experience: Great Planes Hawk (1/5 scale biplane) and RV-4 (1/4 scale). But, it depends of the kind or airplane you like to fly. I like birds that have over 80" wingspan, or close to it. Also the 70" Telemaster ARF is very good. Mine must have hundered of flights, is like 5 years old at least, still going strong...

Gerry
Old 12-13-2010, 12:17 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Telemasters are genuinely a pleasure to fly, just take out the dihedral.

ORIGINAL: BelAirBob

Hey Rambler....how are the Hobby Hangar kits since they come from Melbourne.....

http://www.hobbyhangar.com/newhh2_009.htm Actually he's 6 miles away right in Palm Bay, and strictly sells mail order, no store front (overhead) involved. It's a business run for the pleasure of it, not necessity, so you get a good kit for a good price without compromise. Everything is laser cut, GOOD hardware which means 256 pushrod is 256 pushrod, nothing needs to be tossed for "better" hardware as I've done with other kits. Bolts are strong, blind nuts are strong, etc.
The product line listed is mostly scale stuff and certainly unique. The closest thing on the menu that I'd enjoy flying is the One Design 40, so I was told when I called today, but don't see a photo of it yet. I'm shy to try new stuff I'll admit, I think I build the same models over and over again. I'm looking for a sport pattern plane or an aerobatic 40 size airframe, not 3D, or scale. These kits from Hobby Hangar, don't come with tanks, engine mounts, or wheels, but I like the Pylon tanks, Hayes mounts, and lightweight wheels I end up buying separately anyway.

You got to love the $10 flat rate shipping deal. My last kit order from another domestic manufacturer charged me $34.00 out of AZ. [X(]
Old 12-13-2010, 01:14 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

the good thing about these posts is I learned of a new kit maker and I enjoy an occasional kit build..the arf market is not building but rather assembling!my lAST KIT WAS A SIG SPACEWALKER .THEY HAVE HUNDREDS OF PARTS LOL.and I assemble my favorite arf's 3dhobby and seagull.I am going to try a troybuilt models ESM p47.hasanyone got one??I might even try building a ziroli kit.they are good building and good flyers!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:41 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Just got a few email attachments of the One Design 40 from Hobby Hangar to share. Got to love the personal service. I had a great conversation with "Rich" on the phone. We talked about how the hobby kits have changed over the years and eventually people sooner or later go to a kit build to discover another part of the hobby, as well as us old guys that grew up with kits being the only choice. Nothing really is more satisfying than seeing your work take it's first flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69058.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	1533796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15592.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	1533797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61377.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1533798  
Old 12-13-2010, 03:39 PM
bobbucko

ORIGINAL: huck1199

For cheap, decent arfs see CYRadio on fleabay. I have two and have seen others at the field. Parts fit and seem to be fairly well put together. I have the Fourstar Birdi and the Super Sports 40. Value Hobby has the same planes. The maker is AeroMax. Covering is very good.

I bought a skydancer from CYRadio and the only good thing I have to say about the kit is it flys good. I had to abandon the single servo for the alierons and open the wings and install servo mounts and drill for wire leads in each wing because the wood for the alierons was too soft and I ended up with about a 1/4in of play. THe engine mount supplied did not match the predrilled holes and blind nuts so I has to modify it buy drilling and installing new blind nuts. The fuse has a minimul amount of ply in it so finding a place to mount the switch was a problem and the off color piece of plastic for the canopy/pilot seat fit poorly and looks like junk. I acknowledge that this was a low cost kits, but this one needs a little reengineering to keep CYradio getting repeat business
Old 12-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Love To build
My Feedback: (30)

I would say Top Flite "Gold" series. I would also say a good kit cutter (Precision Cut Kits, Lazer Lizzard,....etc) and a good set of plans(with supported plastic and fiberglass parts) would also be a good choice.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

If you like WWI and Pre WWII then PROCTOR and ARIZONA MODEL AIRCRAFTERS takes the prize hands down for superb quality in a kit form. ARF??? Look at 3 Sea Bees. Don't forget Dave Patrick Models too. Great Planes, Cermark, and TopFlite all need an honorable mention too. Jets?? Look at Bob Violett.

The reason I mentioned PROCTOR and ARIZONA as my #1 choice is not only are they suberb quality kits with the potential for a museum showpiece but they are made with great pride and craftsmanship right here in the USA. These kits are "Precision Scale" to the fullest degree. The Proctor Albatros DVa is spectacular!!

The important thing to observe while reading this forum/topic is the manufacturers not mentioned and stay away from them! Lots of junk on the market these days.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:28 PM
EscapeFlyer

Eureka Aircraft.

www.eurekaaircraft.com

Brian
Old 12-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Waynesworld

Check out Pilot rc here is my 35% extra 260 and working on 40% Sbach
Old 12-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Waynesworld

here it is
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36881.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	1533915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36266.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	937.3 KB
ID:	1533916  
Old 12-14-2010, 04:38 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

If you like wwI type aircraft then hands down the Proctor and GTM kits are the best. But you had better be ready not to cover Proctor's stuff as they are so beautiful in the bare bones state. You'll pay more for either one of these kits but you really get what you pay for.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:11 AM
iflyg450

Do forget about Radical RC, They have some really nice laser cut kits
Old 12-14-2010, 05:24 AM
fabmaster911

Exclusiv Modellbau, hands down.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:55 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

My 2 cents.

This is a very general question. For scale models. Since we fabricate a lot of our own stuff, any model can become a top quality model. But anyway.................

Proctor is the bench mark for design, quality, accuracy and all. They are constructed as the full scale mostly. Then stuff like BVM, Brian Taylor, The Old Pilot kits, Jemco, Fiberclassics. Modified to your standards

A few of the general things I look at in various models (arf, composite or wood) to determine if they are "top quality" is the following.

Scale accuracy
Wood quality
Full sheeted wings in full sheet areas
Fit of parts, and part identification
Quality of composite parts, finish, composite material
Epoxy resin only for composite parts, no polyester
Airfoil tail sections
Crisp, durable, light and clear Canopy quality
Same for vac form parts
Quality scale spinner shape and size
Accurate exhaust ports
Correct CG location
If with plans, clearly written
Construction book with pics
Quality hardware
Quality marking. Unless Brian Taylor stuff or the like.
Real glue on arfs, not hot glue

The best, that's up to your talents.

That"s all I can think of right now.

Steve
Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 AM
RoyR

Of course, as has been hinted at here, the question is subjective:
The BEST RC kit I ever built was a Sterling Fledgling. Why? Because it was my first. It was 1974 and I had saved for months for a first radio. I had experience with Control line building, and I picked the Fledgling because of the way it looked in the pictures and I could also afford a .35 engine for it. There was no internet to tell me that Sterling wasn't a good quality kit, I just liked the looks.
I built it, and had no major problems. I took my time and enjoyed seeing it come to life. When it was completed I learned to fly, basically by myself, and continued to fly that plane for years. It was a great flying airplane and I would love to build another one.
Since then I have built many kits. Some go together faster than others, but I have been able to fly all of them and have had no major issues with any kits that couldn't be overcome with a little thinking, building experience, or help from other modelers. To me, that is part of the fun of building, overcoming the obstacles.

The only problems I have had is with the ARFs. Glue coming loose, wood too thin and breaking when picking the plane up. Many of the things that are not a problem when you build the entire thing yourself. Because of that I am glad I have years of building experience so I can repair the ARF's, (even when they don't crash).

If someone just wants to fly and buy a new airplane every time something breaks, then go with ARF. If you want to enjoy the whole modeling experience, then kits or scratch build. Before I could afford to buy a new airplane every time I crashed, I was able to repair and fly again many of my early planes that should have been trashed. It's very satisfying to take an old plane and make it look new again.
And again, pick a kit you would like to fly. Any kit you choose and complete (even if you have to add your own modifications) will be a good kit.

I didn't intend to bash ARFs, I have some and love to fly them. It's just that when I started writing I remembered how much fun it is to start with a box of sticks and end up with a beautiful work of art. (the definition of which is also subjective)
Old 12-14-2010, 08:24 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Of the integrated, commercial kitmakers, Great Planes and Top Flite are probably the best. Sig kits are also very good but I am not sure of their status.

My all time favorite is still Carl Goldebrg. I think the photos, the plans and the overall engineered build was the best. Ebay is where I still grab them
Old 12-14-2010, 09:47 AM
bobbucko

I whole heartily agree with a ARticCatRider Goldberg kits where truely well build, enginered and the manuels and documentation were the best. Realy sorry to see then go. My Ultimate 10-300 is a pleasure to fly especialy after I pulled the 75 0ut and installed a 90 2 stroke. I used CoverRite Fabric on it and it still looks almost as good as the day I finished it.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:36 AM
lorenzofgrs
My Feedback: (-1)

probably GREAT PLANES
Old 12-14-2010, 11:15 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flybipe

I'm interested in who members think makes the hightest quality kit (or ARF) these days. I like to build, be it from a kit or an ARF and really appreciate a well thought out, well made product - scale, jet, warbird, sport, aerobatic, etc. doesn't matter. Like a really fine German automobile, I'm interested in the quality of the construction experience. Cost is always a factor, but don't limit your response based on cost - a good product is always worth more than junk!

Tell me who you think has got the best stuff out there right now!

Good Flying,

JP

Bluejay Models makes very good kits of the old Bridi line of model airplanes. I haven't checked their website of late (mostly because I bought just about one each of everything already), but they are definitely worth consideration.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-14-2010, 11:30 AM
EscapeFlyer

Bluejay Models makes very good kits of the old Bridi line of model airplanes. I haven't checked their website of late (mostly because I bought just about one each of everything already), but they are definitely worth consideration.

Ed Cregger
I agree...

How about Juno RC?

Brian
Old 12-14-2010, 01:30 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

IF you are going BIG go AMR,
Their kit quality is excellent, sound engineering and the parts fit is great. You also get quality hardware and fiberglass parts. I have 2 of their planes and they are excellent flying planes and a joy to build. I would not hesitate to build another AMR kit.
Anthony
Old 12-14-2010, 01:44 PM
ARUP

Proctor Enterprises and Glenn Torrance Models are the best, highest quality kits made in these United States bar none! Anyone can argue the point but you will be wasting your time with me! Period!
Mick Reeves has very nice offerings.
All of these kits build very much like a miniature version, stick for stick, fitting for fitting. Not for the inexperienced, moaner, complainer, crybaby, timid soul or weakling. There you have it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.