Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

regarding warped and twisted plywood

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

regarding warped and twisted plywood

Old 01-30-2011, 06:23 PM
jeffsos3000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default regarding warped and twisted plywood

hello there i am building a top flight gold edition p-47 thunderbolt, today as i was going through the die cut ply pieces i have noticed that mang of them in my kit are quite badly warped and twisted. this is only my second kit build my first being a slowpoke sport 40. but i have neve had to deal with pieces this bad. there is no way that i will be able to build a straight and true model the way these pieces are. so im wondering if it is possible to somehow flatten and straighten these pieces of plywood parts back out somehow. worst case scenerio i can try and contact top flight but seeing as i have had the kit sitting ehre for almost a year im not sure if they would send me new parts free of charge, and i would much prefere to try and fix the parts i have. if anyone out there in kit building land has any advice and can tell me how to properly flattena nd straighten these peices, they would be very helpful. as practically every plywood sheet of stamped parts is like this for the exception of a few thinner sheets. thank you very much and i hope to hear from someone soon!
Old 01-30-2011, 07:24 PM
JW0311

Default RE: regarding warped and twisted plywood

I'm a new builder as well and had the same problem with one of the kits i'm working on. I wet the pieces down (did not soke them) and then placed them on a flat suface and place some weight on them and let them set for a few days. seemed to work pretty well. They were not perfect but I was able to use them. Good luck.

James
Old 01-30-2011, 07:28 PM
jeffsos3000

thank you for the tip i was thnking about that but i wasnt sure if the wetness would unhinge the glue or not but i guess just a little damp wont hurt. yeah im not expecting them to come out perfect but a slightly warped or twisted piece can be straightened up as u build and glue
Old 01-31-2011, 12:34 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Amonia and water. Let it dry out before you glue them, as he said, you don't bathe them in it but wet each surface and weight it down.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:33 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Buy a new piece of same ply and cut new ones.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:27 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Use a steam iron. I have a kit that had some very warped lite-ply pieces, and the steam iron was the best. You may have to do it a couple of times, to get it just right. Once flattened, do the build, or keep the pcs stored on a flat surface weighted down with books. I didn't have to re-cut any parts.
zx32tt
Old 02-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey guys if this is aircraft plywood that is in these kits, it is not only steamable but
you can actually place the piece in a pot of boiling water, the glue is waterproof,
and then place it on a towel between a couple of pieces of 3/4" ply that is flat and
weight it down and they should come out flat. This will not work on "lite-ply" though.
Lite-ply can only be steamed not saturated or boiled in water.