Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/5 Cub with Saito FA-90TS

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 1/5 Cub with Saito FA-90TS

Old 02-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sig 1/5 Cub with Saito FA-90TS

Hey gang, I'm pretty excited about my progress so far, so I had to share a few pictures. As the title would suggest, it's a Sig Anniversary 1/5-scale Cub, with a Saito 90TS up front. Wings are finished (I forgot to tape the ailerons on), and now I'm working on the wing struts. You can see that I'm using aluminum tubing instead of the supplied basswood, so I'm in the process of figuring that out. Robart scale gear, and I'll be using Coverite 21st Century Fabric in Cream color as a base... thinking about maroon trim with some chrome accents. Anyone know what is a good airbrush-compatible paint that i can apply to the Coverite fabric? Enjoy the photos [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50507.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1561372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20794.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1561373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90595.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1561374  
Old 02-12-2011, 04:55 PM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig 1/5 Cub with Saito FA-90TS

how did you like the kit.? how was the fuse building . was the kit laser cut. whats your pros or cons,? also where did you get the landing gear setup

thanks
Old 02-12-2011, 05:13 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built one last year, very nice kit. I used a Saito 56, plenty of power. The pros would be the two wing configuration. The cons......... None that I know of.
TB
Old 02-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Rv7garage

emilsanto-

This kit is a piece of cake. The laser-cutting makes it feel like cheating, and the instructions are generally clear. As with any kit, the key to good results is to take your time, go slow, and if something doesn't make sense then read the instructions again.

The fuselage was a no-brainer, you just have to really pay attention to the specs- some of the dimensions on the raw wood are very close. I'm lucky enough to have a lot of room in my shop, so I built both wings simultaneously, also very easy. I decided to build the full-size wing, and I may order a second wing kit from Sig in order to build a clipped wing as well.

The landing gear is by Robart [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBDL5&P=7[/link], pricey but very good-looking (and now I don't have to solder the Sig gear together, one of my least favorite building tasks). Very easy to adapt to this kit, all you really have to do is install the stock landing gear blocks with the grooves to the inside of the fuselage, add some reinforcing ply, and drill the Robart bolt pattern.

As TonyBuilder said, there are really no cons to this kit at all. Very satisfying so far![8D]

TonyBuilder- How does yours fly? Anything you would have done differently?
Old 02-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Tarasdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes! Dang Robart scale landing gear costs over twice what the Cub kit costs! Looks great, but don't see how I'd ever convince my wife it's a good idea.[:@]

Not even going to start on what would happen if I said I want to buy a Saito twin...
Old 02-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Rv7garage

??? The kit alone cost me over $200. Did I miss a sale somewhere?

Regardless, yes, this will be an expensive kit when all's said & done (prob $1500 all up, not counting the Tx)... but for me, that's the point of a really nice kit, no expense spared. This one in particular is meant to showcase the Saito twin, and we all know that those don't come cheap. But when she's putt-putt-ing thru the air @ 1/3 throttle, looking and sounding like the real thing that's magic!

Thankfully my wife is very tolerant of my money habits; as long as family and adult responsibilities come first [8D]. Just wait till I get a Saito radial!