Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Venting my rage about parchment paper

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Venting my rage about parchment paper

Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 PM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venting my rage about parchment paper

I read somewhere in RCU that parchment paper made a good protective covering over plans for building. Whoever claims this is full of molarky. I decided to give it a try on my scratch build LST trainer and the parchment did a great job . . . of sticking to the wing's framework . . . almost good enough to be used as a covering material, almost ruined the panel, now I gotta do an extra fine sanding job to get it all off. I will stick to my painters 2ml plastic dropcloth thank you very much.

Just had to vent my rage, have a good evening all.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Venting my rage about parchment paper

I too read about it here at the end of the year. I ran out and bought a roll to try. So far two builds and not once has anything stuck to the parchment. The only thing I can say against it is it is more opaque then my normal wax paper and harder to see through. I even use it for my wood shop projects. No trouble at all. I like it.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 PM
arobatto
My Feedback: (5)

That had to suck! I hate it when sh_t like that happens! The person recommending parchment paper probably had it confused for wax paper as they are both are used in baking. However, wax paper is tried and trued for many decades in building over plans. I still use it, but your idea is just as good and probably better.

Good luck and happy building!

Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: arobatto

That had to suck! I hate it when sh_t like that happens! The person recommending parchment paper probably had it confused for wax paper as they are both are used in baking. However, wax paper is tried and trued for many decades in building over plans. I still use it, but your idea is just as good and probably better.

Good luck and happy building!

No, he wasn't confused, It was mentioned and as i recall I even asked about it. I have always used the wax paper, even when it had real wax on it. The parchment works well for me. There is some still on my bench from the other night when I used epoxy to put some small parts on a wood working project. Epoxy doesn't even stick to it. There may be a difference between brands though that could cause a problem?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:05 AM
outdoorhunting

How about CA? I've had CA stick to wax paper. It wasn't that hard to get off the balsa, a little touch of sandpaper & it's gone .
Old 02-13-2011, 07:12 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I read somewhere in RCU that parchment paper made a good protective covering over plans for building"

It must be true: I read it on the internet:-)))))))))

Like all else in life; for a technique/material that you have not personally used before; try sample quantities FIRST.

Les
Old 02-13-2011, 07:24 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a person can post a technique here on RCU or anywhere else on the net, and then you will get about a hundred replies from "my way is better" or "this is how i do it", and in the end, it is the reader who doesn't know better that will actually take the advice of one person who seems to have it together, but at times will leave part of the recipe hidden, or will no longer respond to a further inquiry...........it's the INTERNET............follow advise given at your own risk.
not all papers are alike.
wax paper is tried and true.........not the same wax coating as years past, but always seems to work best.
what cause paper to stick is the pinning that creates holes which allows CA to penetrate into the paper causing it to stick to the plans, framework, sometimes both at the same time.

but seriously, test before using anything.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Fleet

In my early days, Ambroid would stick to wax paper most of the time but it came loose with a little effort. It left a big fillet of Ambroid that had to be cut away or it would show through the covering.

I'll miss my red Saran Wrap when I peel off the last piece:

Ray W.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37754.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1562777  
Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 AM
shd3920

outdoorhunting

How about CA?
That is what I used, with a little accelerant in spots. It is Reynold's wrap that I have.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:54 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps it should be pointed out that Wax Paper has two distinct sides. One is very waxy (the shiny side), while the other has a duller finish. Make sure to have the waxy side up when you use it.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Gray Beard

I'm using the Reynolds Parchment. I use thin and medium CA and epoxy for my building. Two planes built after reading about the parchment and so far no sticking. As mentioned, you may have put glue in an area where you have places a pin so the CA could have gotten through to your plans or wood? I don't use any accelerate in any of my builds so that may be the difference. Les mentioned testing before use, that was the first thing I did. I tried to glue a piece of wood to the parchment, I couldn't do it.
When I tell someone how I glass I tell them to give it a try on some test wood first. What and how I do things may not be something others would like but it works for me. After reading about your problems I will poke some pins in the parchment and see if I have a sticking problem. I'm sure I will, holes in wax paper will allow it to stick too. Other then not being able to see the plans as well with the parchment I just haven't had any problems with it. I thank the original poster for putting another trick in my file.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:20 AM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I read about using parchment I was skeptical. I've used waxed paper for over 45 years. It works but I must say, I don't think it works quite as well as when I was a kid. Maybe it's changed, probably more related to using CA. That thin stuff just wicks through the pin holes. But I've kept using it until recently.

When they started selling rolls of plastic specifically for protecting plans I thought it was silly, shoot, waxed paper works fine and is cheaper. And then I tried the stuff. Wow, you can't beat it! Nothing sticks to it, it's absolutely clear and I even reuse it several times. You still have to be careful not to use too much thin CA as it will still wick through the pin hole but this stuff is the best. I'll never use anything else.

Dave