Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Best 'rattle can' paint, fuel proof?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Best 'rattle can' paint, fuel proof?

Old 03-05-2011, 07:21 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 'rattle can' paint, fuel proof?

Hey gang, I'm looking for a little advice here. I sprayed Krylon for Plastics on a test piece of 21st Century fabric, and it adheres and flexes very well after a week of curing... but 15% nitro eats it up pretty quick and kills the finish. I'm looking for suggestions for a rattle-can paint that I can use that will be fuel proof to 15%. Anybody?

Thanks much [8D]
Old 03-05-2011, 08:38 AM
LargeScale88

Default RE: Best 'rattle can' paint, fuel proof?

I've had great success with the color krylon, but not the clearcot.

Rustoleum (spelling?) is also good. Minnwax clear is good for the clearcoat, but yellows over time.

I get all my "rattle can" paint at walmart.

Jason
Old 03-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Zor
Banned

The only known resistant paint to glow fuel is aceto butyrate genuine aicraft dope and epoxy paint.

Of course you install the muffler to send the exhaust away from the surfaces as much as practical.

Also of course, you clean your model after each flight. A one or two minutes job.

Your model will look like new for years and years.

Zor

Old 03-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Terry Bolin
My Feedback: (7)

Best rattle can paint hands down is the Topflite Lustrecote.. I use it on alot of planes and it dries very hard and last for years with out getting gummy around the engine area! Good luck! Terry B.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86050.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1573910  
Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Rv7garage

Yeh, too bad they only make a few colors. Guess I'll try my hand with Nelson's epoxy. Never used an airbrush before... it'll be fun! [:@]
Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

flyci,

I know some builders in my club that have used rattle-can paints on glow fuel models, but at best, those that have had some success have used Rustoleum and still have experienced gumming. As far as rattle-can paints, as you have posted, the limited color choices of Lusterkote is about it. Some builders have top-coated with an automotive-grade (rattle-can) clear-coat, but weight is a consideration as well as cost.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:49 PM
KitBuilder

I am in the process of trying of lusterkote on solartex and had miserable results. I'm sure it was my error but none the less I'm resorting to ultacote for the trim colors and the test worked real well.  For lustrekote posters have told me to put the can in the sun to heat up and do this and that.  For fabric birds in the future I'm planning on building the smaller gas rated models where I hear latex is what most use with no issues and you can mix any color you want at the home improvment stores.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:22 AM
TomCrump

Lustrekote works for me.

Dope stinks, and is too much trouble.

Nelson paint is waterborne. It is not epoxy, accept the primer. I believe that it is currently unavailable, as the company is in the process of moving.

Warbirdcolors will do the job, but it is not gloss.

Rustoleum works fine on gassers. A friend added some automotive hardener, and it's been fine on his glow model.

Klass Kote is epoxy, and will work in all applications.

As Mike said, house paint works for gassers.

Automotive paints may be the best. Not the spray can variety, though. The spray cans should be OK with gassers.

These are my views/experiences. Others may disagree.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:37 AM
TomCrump

To get back to your question, in rattle cans, Lustrekote is about your only choice.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:31 AM
Terry Bolin

New thought on the question... Oreilly Automotive stores in my area can let you pick any color from their charts and mix it single stage paint and put it in a spray can for you to use... I bought some acrilic enamel in November.. AE is glow fuel proof..........let it dry for quite some time before getting raw fuel on it... I think I paid 8 or $9 a can for it... If your store cant do this,, ask if they can have another store mix it and bring it in to your locatation...... Good luck!

Name:	Us53863.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	1574150  
Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"The only known resistant paint to glow fuel is aceto butyrate genuine aicraft dope and epoxy paint."

And Behr, Clear, Water based Polyeurathane.

LEs
Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Rv7garage

This is good information, guys- thanks! I think now I may try the automotive paint and see how it holds up on some test pieces.

-EDIT- I stopped & bought a spray can of DupliColor automotive paint. I'll update in a week after letting it cure. Wish me luck! [&:]
Old 03-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Rv7garage

Ok, it's been 3 weeks and here's the scoop.

I applied 3 coats of DupliColor to 21st Century Fabric, and let it cure for 3 weeks in a room-temp environment. Beautiful finish! -but after 30 minutes of sitting with 15% nitro fuel on it, the paint crazed and flaked right off. The fabric was not sanded or prepped in any way.

The next steps in this testing process will be to prep the surface of one test swatch by sanding with 400-grit and try again. I will also paint and clearcoat another un-prepped test piece and see how the clearcoat fares.

See y'all in 3 weeks!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 AM
RICMOD5634

I use a Clear Acrilic Engine Paint, that I get at AutoZone. It works as a fuel proffer on Krylon and Rustolium at 15% nitro. Apply in light coats and let each coat dry a day. Hasn't yellowed or smeared in two years. Clean aircraft good after a days flying with windex.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

I use Krylon then go over it with a clear coat that is fuel proof. Color Pace clear coat sold at walmart is fuel proof or has been for me,Just be prepared to let it set for a few days before you mess with it some of it takes a while to flash over. Now all of a sudden I can't seem to get it there anymore. Krylon crysal clear or rustolium clear is not so don't waste your money on it, unless its a gasser. I may check the other surounding stores to see if they still have some. Any polyurethane automotive paint will be fuel proof, I have used alot of it, but I no longer have a cheap source of the paint so I am stuck to rattle cans also and yes I also have it special mixed at times, but it cost me a little more to do so and again it is not fuel proof unless gone over with the clear. Coverite makes a paint that is fuel proof come to think of it I did a F4C in it and used the satin clear for the top coat Worked out very nicely. I think Tower still carrys the stuff. Coverite has the war bird colors also.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Zor
Banned

Hi all,

Reading this thread is quite interesting .
The experience of many is useful but does not seem to narrow down to a specific paint that is known to be fully glow fuel proof.

An email to Rustoleum a long time ago was replied to indicating they had never tested their paint for resistance to methanol.

We have often read posting indicating that the glue used by heat shrinking films was not resistant to Glow fuel. Fellows saying that the ovelapping joints were lifting.

We know of a plastic that is resistant if available as a paint. That is the material used to conntain the fuel and sell it.

Anone happens to know what those containers are made of ?

Zor

Old 03-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

How about this. Email a fuel manufacture and ask what paint they use on there cans?? To date I have never had the paint smear off of a fuel can. Just a thought, Zor put it in my head, blame him!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

How about this. Email a fuel manufacture and ask what paint they use on there cans?? To date I have never had the paint smear off of a fuel can. Just a thought, Zor put it in my head, blame him!!!
Gray Beard,

You do lots of good thinking. I wish I could match you.

I do not know what is used on fuel cans butwhat you are mentioningmight be a good idea.

I was more thinking of the plastic jugs that contain the glow fuel.

If that material was processed into a semi-liquid form and sprayable or brushable it seems to me we would have a perfect fuel proof finish.

Some of these containers are still keeping the glow fuel after sitting for years on a shelf (or the floor Hee Hee !!! )

So the question, "what kind of plastic is it made of ?".

Personally I am happy with the aceto butyrate dope which also gives me other favorable characteristics.

Anyone in this forum knows ?

Zor
Old 03-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Gray Beard

I have never had an original thought in my head. When others mention something it just makes the wheels turn. My wife says she can always hear me thinking. I think she just smells the smoke. When I really want a paint that nothing will remove I just call Klass Kote, before that it was K&B. Dope is very fuel proof, I just have a problem getting it to spray well. If anyone really wants to know what paint is used on the fuel cans just phone or write to Power Master. I bet no one there knows either. Well, no one you will get that answers phones. I have used acetone on Klass Kote trying to clean up some bad lines, the colors don't even come off with that. Tough stuff, just cost too much for me to be buying colors just to have on hand. My next builds are all for gas engines so Latex will be the paint of choice. Gas is just so much easier, I just can't break away from my remaining four strokes though.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:53 PM
stuntflyr

I use LustreKote for rattle cans. It's about as fuel resistant as dope with a few coats of wax. If properly prepped it makes a fairly decent paint. Since all of the other types that are not hobby related seem less resistant to fuel, I use this product.
    [*]The LustreKote primer is a requirement, otherwise the pigment/dye's are too translucent for good coverage. I apply it lightly after all other prep. It's white, so it enhances all other colors.[*]I heat the cans up to about 160 degrees in water and shake the heck out of them, even so there will be a can that spits and blows out crap that'll make you want to scream. Don't touch it, just let it dry as 95% of it'll flow out.[*]The can spray heads have a round spray pattern, which is not want one wants, but I've been unable to find any good ones with fan patterns that fit the cans.[/list]Here are some examples below. I'm finishing an all white model right now and the coverage is pretty good for white (always a challenging color).
    Chris...

Name:	Vt57062.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1584672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57273.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1584673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32819.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1584674  
Old 03-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Gray Beard

MY LHS has a good stock of LK paints. LK has been having a real problem with color match over the last year or so. Just finding a match to Cub yellow should be easy. The match seems to be a mystery to paint manufactures. Cub yellow should not be bright orange or green. If you paint a plane make sure you buy an extra can of paint for future matching. What you buy today will be different next year. LK is very fuel proof if you let it set up for about 10 days.
Waxing?? I have never bothered waxing, I will give it a shot on my next plane. My next build is a gasser so it's getting Latex but wax may make it shine up better.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 AM
maekju

Can Lusterkote clear be used as a top coat over latex or rustolium?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Terry Bolin

I wouldn't mix paint brands like Lustrekote over rustol...Too much work to correct if you do have a problem plus,,it's just asking for trouble...I have never had anything other than stellar results out of Lustrekote.. Once it dries, it has been hard as nails! But I have used Automotive Acrilic enam. on patternships with 15% fuel and never had a problem...but, If I get fuel on the plane.. I wipe it off right now!
Good luck!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:20 PM
maekju

what about Lusterkote over latex?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Daryl_y

The testors "model master" line of rattle cans is fuel proof and is what I use to paint cowels and other trim, but the cans are small and would probably be too expensive to use to paint an entire aircraft. It is good paint however and goes on much better than luster coat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.