Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

dynaflite decathlon engine

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

dynaflite decathlon engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:04 PM
chrisp32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dynaflite decathlon engine

just about to start building a dynaflit super decathlon and am having an incredably hard time deciding on an engine. all i want from it is to fly it fairly easy. want to be able to fly it very scale with ease and do simple loops and hammerheads lol pretty well basic trainer type flying i guess. was thinking of doing a conversion engine advise please? was also looking at the super tigre 2300 Advise? or even looking into the DLA32 advise? which do you think or from experience know works well on this plane lol.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:17 AM
beepee

Default RE: dynaflite decathlon engine

chrisp,

You will get a wide variety of recommendations. All based on different personal experiences and prejudices. Mine included.

I favor gas because I do not like the clean-up and gas is cheap fuel. I flew my DFlight SD on a magneto ignited Quadra 42 with an 18" prop and all was good. You won't need more engine than that for your style of flying. Remember the SD is a pretty nicely powered aerobat in full scale. More engine and you start looking at a 20" prop and there is not much ground clearance for that. I had problems with that diameter, but others have not. The Q42 with mag and spring starter is very heavy, but my SD needed the weight for balance anyway. If you go with the DLA32, it will fly fine. You are starting the build so you can concentrate on minimizing the tail weight, which will make it even better.

It will be hard to go wrong, whatever you do.

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 AM
flygilmore

I agree with the above post. Many use a G38 and it is perfect. I would NOT use glow on this plane and would not on any plane this size due to obvious reasons. You will need some nose weight and a mag. engine is great here. If you are into conversions, the Homelite 33cc from a Bandit or Ranger 14" saw is one of the best!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Daryl_y

There was an excellent thread a few years ago on this subject called "Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon" my brother "chevalier" was one contributors. The Decathlon he built was powered by an OS 1.20 4 stroke and flew very nicley, its flying weight including ballast was 14.5 lbs. My the plane has since been sold to another club member who replace the 1.20 4 stroke with a gaser and although it is of course a couple of pounds heavier with the gas motor it still flies well.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:56 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my Decathlon, I used a Saito 1.80 and it was a perfect match. It would pull the Decathlon through loops or any other maneuver without issue. Sorry I sold the plane.

FB