Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Clancy Lazy Bee

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Clancy Lazy Bee

Old 08-13-2003, 01:53 AM
push rodz
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clancy Lazy Bee

Just recently finished building a Lazy Bee with the extended wing. All I can say is - what a hoot!!!

The plans and the manual were presented quite well - even for a dummy like me. They were actually a help! I've built a few SPADS in the past and put together all of my ARFS but this was my first actual kit and covering job. I chose to use MonoKote in lieu of the lighter covering material suggested by Clancy. The MonoKote went on rather easy and I didn't have a problem with the wing trying to warp as might be expected. The colors I used on the Bee are Cub Yellow and transparent red.

I haven't installed the engine or the flight gear yet but hopefully will soon. Am planning on mounting an OS .15LA engine and using Hitec 425BB servos and Hitec rx. Can't wait to get 'er up!

If you have any hesitations on trying to put one of these together get rid of it 'cause you'll have a blast. The key is to take your time and get 'er right. You won't be dissappointed with the end result.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	101272_39993.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	57402  
Old 08-13-2003, 01:57 AM
push rodz

Default Clancy Lazy Bee

Just for grins - here's another pic.

Name:	101275_39993.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	57403  
Old 08-13-2003, 02:07 AM
push rodz

Default Clancy Lazy Bee

Here's another pic with my son helping to show it off.

Name:	101276_39993.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	57404  
Old 08-13-2003, 02:25 AM
nchrome

Default lazy bee

push rodz I've had about six of these little park flyers and they are a blast to fly. I've had the lazy bee and the staggared bee which was a had full but it did fly. I powered mine with fox 15s and was able to fly the little plane backward in a 8 to 10 mph wind. I also like to make the little plane hover and even fly backwards sometimes. Besure to set your controls on half throw in order to get used to the short coupled plane. Good luck on your new bird and enjoy
Old 08-13-2003, 02:54 AM
push rodz

Default Clancy Lazy Bee

nchrome -
Thanks for the advice on the throws and I am sure you are right. Mix that with high winds and you've got a pretty good ride in store if using a high percentage. Here in the area that I live, the winds are just an everyday thing. And being fairly conservative (but getting crazier all the time) I generally use low throws until I get used to the way a plane flys. This I have learned the hard way.

Our club treasurer has one that he flys sometimes and he makes the LB do things you wouldn't think a 3 channel plane should be able to do. But then again, I've seen helis do things that just blow you away! From just watching him fly his, it grew on me - I had to have one. I'm sure that this one will be a blast - if I can ever get the gear together.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:34 AM
nchrome

Default Lazy Bee

I also forgot to tell you that I have in the back of my head a foam fuse or even carbenfiber fuse and wings and put an electric motor on it and a set of thoes lithium batterys. and see how light I can get her :bananahea . Another of my flying buddys made a giant one with about an 80" wing and powered it with a fox 40. The maiden flight I did and talk about hairy didn't put enough rubber bands on her and talk about a wild flight the wing kept on flapping up and down on the leading edge. But I got it down in one piece then put more rubber on it and it flew just fine. And even it I could make this big one fly backwards. Only needed full throttle to take off after that it was just about at idle. Think about it and maybe you mite want to build a giant LAZY BEE.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:05 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Default Clancy Lazy Bee

I decided to go the opposite direction, and picked up the ladybug kit. It's destined to be Norvel .049 powered. I figure it oughtta move pretty well! Pushrodz: Nice Bee!
Old 08-14-2003, 04:24 PM
push rodz

Default Clancy Lazy Bee

nchrome -
I may at some point try the Big Bee kit available from Clancy. And will probably go with the 60" wing as it is supposed to have a little better performance in higher winds and also more aerobatic capabilities - at least from what I have read. And will go with a standard OS .40 LA just because of the weight and because I don't think power is a real issue with this type of craft......I could be wrong here.

If the the normal Bee is as much fun to fly as I am anticipating, then a larger variety will almost have to be essential to get later on. I really like the way these planes look and they fit in to the way that I like to fly - low and slow. Of course every now and again I have a "need for speed" but when that happens I just grab another plane - like my Ultra Stick.

I'd like to see some of the larger Bee's if you or anyone has pics they could post here.

Matt -
I think all of the Clancy line are great aircraft - no matter what size they are. Each one of them have their own characteristics and none of them, from what I hear, are undesirable. Appreciate the compliments!
Old 08-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Darren40-RCU

Default Clancy Lazy Bee

I have the extended wing LB as well, but with an OS .10 and its got lots of power. Its a blast to fly. Three things I really like about it; since it weighs almost nothing it doesn't break when you hit something, you can fly almost anywhere (although I'd keep to the calmer days), and its a better trainer than anything else I know of (IMOP).
I once flew mine into a concrete garbage can at a schoolyard. A typical trainer would have had extensive damage. I collapsed the LE spar between two ribs, that's it! Five minute repair and I was back in the air.
As long as you're 6' or more off the ground you've got lots of altitude.
I recommend it as a first plane for anyone looking at getting into RC flying. Their cheap to build and power, extremely forgiving, and hard to bust-up on landings.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:46 AM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clancy Lazy Bee

I really like the Lazy Bees also. I have two ARFs, one is glow powered by a .25 Magnum motor( I have a movie of that in flight on my home page) and the other is powered by an Astro 05 7turn with gear box and 2400 eight cell Sanyos. They are a blast to fly, I can actually hover my glow version. Thaey are a blast to fly and by the way.....I like your covering job. If you notice in my photos on my page, I totally recovered my wing and it seems much stronger that the ARF covering. I tipped stalled once close to ground and it really did some damage. I fixed everything tore off the covering and did my own. Came out sweet I think.

http://home.att.net/~imsofaman/dave_...c_homepage.htm
Old 08-25-2003, 01:41 AM
push rodz

Default Clancy Lazy Bee

imsofaman -
Had a chance to check out your web site.....your Bee planes are really nice. If I didn't know better I would say that you may be a l'il Bee crazy! And that is understandable 'cause they are pretty neat planes. I especially like your Speedy Bee - the covering job is pretty cool. I may just have to look in to getting one of these for myself. How do you like the Speedy Bee? What are its' flight characteristics like?

I still haven't had a chance to get mine together yet but hope to soon. I'm thinkin' that it is going to be great to finally get to fly it, especially since I have put a lot of work in to gettin' 'er built.

Thanks for your response!
Old 10-15-2003, 03:28 PM
push rodz

Default RE: Clancy Lazy Bee

Finally !!!

Got the engine for the Lazy Bee this past weekend. I decided on the OS .15LA engine and ran 8 oz. of fuel through 'er on the engine stand Saturday. Spent the rest of the day installing the engine, gear, and connections to get ready for the maiden planned for Sunday (the next day).

Took 'er out to the field, checked all systems and it was a go. Everyone at the field thought she was "cute" and stood back to watch the first flight. The winds were super kind, just right for the maiden. After the "usual" pre-flight photos were taken, I fired that puppy up and took off. Takeoff was uneventful, and after what seemed like an eternal roll out, she finally came up off the deck and was airborne.

With a couple of clicks of elevator and rudder she was trimmed out and flying really well. Performed some slow loops and a few crazy rolls and got about 10 minutes of flight time in on 2 oz. of fuel. And that was with running the engine pretty rich to help with the break in. Flew several more flights with out incident.

All in all, the Bee is a hoot and is like nothing that I'd ever flown before. A very slow and docile bird that gets a lot of looks, laughs, and comments from the spectators - all of which are good. I keep telling everyone that the Bee looks more like something that you should play in the tub with instead taking out to fly. That usually gets a laugh as well.

Here's a few pics taken before and during the maiden.............

Name:	Pm35140.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	67876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31108.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	67877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78738.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	67878  
Old 10-15-2003, 08:08 PM
imsofaman

Push Rodz........man......you did a geat job on your Lazy Bee!!!!! I really like the colors you used and the red in the windows. Very original. I can't get enough of my Bees I am going to take off my .25 Magnum and replace it with a .15 Norvell. The .25 does not allow it to fly like a Bee should. Although unlimited vertical and also hanging on the prop impresses everyone....but it is just not right. I have a Fat Free Taco, so I can fly 3-D on that! Go to my home page to check out the photos of the Taco. The .15 Norvell will allow me put along nice and slow with a lighter wing loading.

Also.....I am fixing up an old Speedy Bee. I had to scratch build the engine nacelle and turtle deck. Dropped in an AXI motor and controller, 11X7 prop, Sylvester is in the cockpit, Tweetie is on the engine nacelle. The engine nacelle is custom made and it allows air to flow thru the plane cooling the motor and batteries. I will add #11 Trexlers as soon as they come in. The color scheme is white with black scallops and red pin striping on the edge of the scallops. It is going to be my Bee masterpeice!!!! As soon as I am thru...I will start a new thread.....look for it soon.

Dave

[link=http://home.att.net/~imsofaman/dave_surace_rc_homepage.htm]Dave Surace RC Homepage[/link]
Old 10-21-2003, 08:26 AM
push rodz

Dave,

Appreciate the compliments......

The red windows just seemed to be the way to go - a little more work involved but it was worth it. I contemplated putting an OS .25 on mine but the engine mount was a bit too large for the firewall to fit right, so the OS .15 was chosen. It gives the little Bee plenty of power and helps to keep things light up front. So far, I am very pleased with its' performance.

Be sure to let me know when you get the Speedy Bee masterpiece together. If it turns out as nice as your others - it'll be great!
Old 10-23-2003, 07:13 PM
imsofaman

A preview pic of the new Speedy Bee. I have the rest of the scallops and then the pin striping. Dig the new engine nacelle!!!!! Gives it a nice streamlined effect. Sylvester will be sitting lower than what he is now and I have to make a windsheild. Not too far from being done.

Dave

Name:	Yw69176.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	69614  
Old 10-24-2003, 06:08 PM
push rodz

Dave,

It's lookin' pretty sweet dude! And I like the nacelle - it gives it a whole new look.

I've been trying to locate the Speedy Bee kit, but the guy that owns the LHS here in Stephenville (he's also the treasurer for our club) says that they're not in production right now and something about a dispute over the plane. I suppose this is between Clancy and Global Hobby Distributors. Wish they'd get the bug outta their #@!! and get on with it. I have several kits in mind for the winter to get ready for next season and the Speedy Bee is one that I'd like to get.

If it is as much fun to build as the Lazy Bee then I'm ready!
Old 10-24-2003, 06:16 PM
imsofaman

I just got an email from Hobby People. They are real nice and they are the ones who are backing Andy Clancy. They are transfering the production machinery form die cut to laser cutting. They will have an ARF and a regular kit but it will be real nice with the laser cut parts!!!!! Here is what Mike had to say.......

Actually, just got back from the factory that is doing both.

They are in the works, but as with all things it seems, it is harder than we realized.

This was one of the older designs and a lot of work had to be done to bring it up to date for laser cutting.

We expect the ARF and kit first half of next year.

Sorry, I wish the news was better, but this is simply a larger task than any of us realized.

-Mike

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------
Reply-To: <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:23:52 -0400

>Ok guys....what's going on???? Where are the Speedy Bee kits? This past
>summer you had e-mailed me and said that Clancy was retooling for laser cut
>Speedy Bee kits and an ARF version also. Well? What is the deal? This is my
>favorite plane and I want another one. Can you tell me when more will be on
>the shelf?
>
>
> Dave Surace
>
>

--
Customer Service
18480 Bandilier Cir
Fountain Valley CA 92708

Customer Service Ph: 714-963-0329 (9AM-3PM M-F)
Customer Service Fx: 714-964-6236
Email: [email protected]
Orders: 800-854-8471
www.hobbypeople.net
--
Hope that helps a little. Listen....I have an extra set of plans...do you scratch build? Let me know if you are interested.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:52 PM
push rodz

Dave -

After I wrote my last reply, I shot an email off to the same folks and this is the response that I got -
"Actually, all of the old die-cut kits are no longer produced. Andy is working with us to convert all of the kits to laser cut parts and we expect to begin re-release of all the Clancy planes over the course of the next 6 months or so."

I will say this for them - this was really a quick response! I sent this to them around 6:00 pm tonight, went to the movies and came back and there was the response....wow - how many times will that happen?

Scratch build??? You bet!!!! Let me know how I can get the set of extra plans and the particulars on how I can get them. That would be fantastic and I look forward to hearing from you........thanks!
Old 10-24-2003, 10:11 PM
imsofaman

Just sent you a PM..... I am always glad to help out a Bee buddy!!!!!!! To be honest with you....I have no idea why I like these funky flying, cartoon looking planes so much. I would rather fly one of my Bees than any of my other planes, not to say that my other planes are not fun, I just have a thing for Clancy Aviation stuff. So when I hear of someone who has the same passion for these crazy little planes, I try to do what I can in either knowledge, parts or just good old pontification!

Dave
Old 10-26-2003, 06:23 PM
push rodz

Dave,

I just returned your PM......cool!

Yeah, the li'l bee planes kinda "grow" on you don't they? Took mine out yesterday for a couple of flights - the winds were 10 - 15 MPH - talking about a hoot! It was pretty cool flying backwards and pulling some really cool harrier landings with it. Up until then I had only flown it in light winds (which is pretty uncommon for around here) and wow - I like flying the heavier winds much better! At times you can fly it like a "motorized" kite and talking about some really neat loops, rolls and spins! This thing will do some crazy stuff - which is right down my alley.

After I get the Speedy Bee together I've got my eye on the Stagger Bee. One of my flying buddies has one and it's cool watching him buzz that thing around. He's running the OS .15LA on it and that thing really zipps. So, needless to say, I'm pretty well hooked on the li'l bee planes. I guess the thing that I like best about them besides the way they fly is the really comical way they look as they glide through the air. Everyone really gets a kick out of the way they look and I almost always hear a laugh or two when I fly mine.

Anyway, read the PM and we'll get together on the plans...........
Old 10-26-2003, 11:53 PM
nchrome

Well guys I have the plans for the original Lazy-Bee and I plan on blowing them up sos I can put a 17cc Homelite on it. I want to see if I can get it built and maybe take it to an Imac meet and see what happens. Cause I plan on having about an 80' wing span. Should be a hooooot to fly on gas too Anyway I plan on starting with the firewall and go from there and actually build the plane around the engine. Probably put spots all over it and call it Spot II. And rebuild Spot I and have them together. Mite even put bomb-bay doors on it and drop candy for the kids or even parachutes from it [8D] We will see what this building season has in store for me and my other projects.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:33 AM
bolar

For those considering scratch building the Speedy RCM has plans for that one. I've heard Hobby People sells plans for the others but I've never checked it out. I built my Speedy from the RCM plans and it flys great. The next Clancy I'm looking at is the Turbo Bee, that one looks interesting .
Old 10-27-2003, 10:16 PM
Red_Jeepster

OK OK ... You guys have me convinced! I have been giving half a mind (all I have anyway) toward a Big Lazy Bee, and now I think I should get my local shop to get me one. Just have to figure out a way for the MRS to think it was her idea. LOL

I am currently building a special LT-40 that has landing lights, LED's inthe wings and Fuse for evening/night flying. I also incorporated a Bomb Bay!

So,,, If I took those ideas and put them into my Lazy Bee.. WHAT A HOOT that would BEE (pun intended).
Old 10-27-2003, 10:33 PM
imsofaman

I would love to see that in actoin!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2003, 01:25 PM
push rodz

nchrome -

The monster Bee sounds like a good idea - be sure to post some pics here when you get 'er built - and let us know how she flies!

Red Jeepster -

Tell us about those LED's that your using and the set up - that might be somethin' that I'd like to incorporate in to the new standard wing that I'm currently scratch building for my Lazy Bee. With the recent time change it gets dark too dang quick!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.