Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Name that plane (kit)!

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Name that plane (kit)!

Old 05-25-2011, 04:38 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name that plane (kit)!

Name that plane!
This plane was original built about 10 months ago as my first kit. I have been flying it as my favorite plane. It is a go to plane that loves touch and goes, cross wind 10 to 20 wind, and just about anything you can throw at it. I have been planning on doing a recover and modification, and repair. I wanted to get rid of all the plastic, wing tips and underbelly. Some of the covering was coming up and it was just looking ragged.
So this is the finished product. A lot of you already know this plane; it is a favorite plane of many.
TB

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41914.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	1614557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39453.jpg
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	1614558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50796.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	1614559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83466.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	1614560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk68670.jpg
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	1614561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq97381.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	1614562  
Old 05-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Campgems

Default RE: Name that plane (kit)!

My guess is going to be a bashed 4*120

I do reserve the right to be wrong though.

Don
Old 05-25-2011, 04:54 PM
TonyBuilder

DLE20cc
Wing span61”
Fuse 51”
Weight 10 lb

Nop, not a 4*

TB

Old 05-25-2011, 04:55 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Looks like a Chipmunk with a Corsair wing.

Brian
Old 05-25-2011, 04:58 PM
huck1199

Wing looks like a warbird type - Corsair. But body is not of same type. I give up.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:02 PM
TonyBuilder

ORIGINAL: fireman7875

Looks like a Chipmunk with a Corsair wing.

Brian
I originally built this plane around a Saito 100 and it has flown amazingly with that engine until I had the first bearing failure about two months into its life. It was sent in and repaired and back in the chippy. Then after about 4 months it failed again, along with a Saito 150 I have. So I decided that I was going gas. I decided to go with a DLE20cc. I was thinking about the Saito 150 but just did not want to go glow. I fitted the DLE in and it fit just fine. I moved the cowl up about an inch and balanced with the batteries. The plane came in at 10 lbs and flew great, lots of power and vertical (fun). She flew very similar and they’re where no bad habits from putting in the 20cc. I wanted to try it before doing the remodel recover on this plane and had originally planed on doing it after the flying season. I flew the Chippy for a couple days without an engine kill to test her out while I was waiting on my optical engine kill.
I installed the engine kill and went for my first flight of the day. After I had trimmed her out I mentally decided to start my timer and fly her for that allotted time. As I flipped the switch I realized that my engine kill was set to this switch and I killed the engine. My heart sank as I was going down wind and pretty fare away. The wind was strong about 10-15. I immediately turned back into the wind and towards the runway, but I was to far away. I kept the nose up, as all I could do was watch her sink behind the tree line. When I found her she was sitting upright in a clear patch of hi-grass, I was amazed. I was resigned to seeing her in pieces. Initially all I could see was one folded gear and minor damage to the LG block.I did a quick patch with some medium CA on the LG and was ready to get back, but decided it would be a good idea to inspect the firewall and engine. I found a small crack in the engine mount so I called it a day.
I replaced the engine mount and was back in the air the next week. The landing gear block was weak and I knew that any hard landings would likely fold it. And it was windy and a few hard landings it folded and completely broke out. So now it was time to do the redo on the chippy. I was entertaining the thought of installing retracts. I started a 60-sized TF corsair warbird build last year and abandoned it after I went to gas only. So I had a pair of sierra rotating gear. I was looking at the wing and figuring how I can install this gear, I looked over at the corner of my work area and saw the 90% completed corsair wing ready to go with the retracts installed. So I thought why not fit the gull wing to the chippy!
Some have lowered their head and walked away shaking their head as I told them of my plan. “It is just a wing” why not fit it to the chippy. So I went for it. It did not take much to fit it to the fuselage. The components all fit fine and she looks amazing. I think she will be a great plane. I did all the modifications, got the retracts I wanted and there is no plastic wing tips or belly. Not sure how she will fly but we will just have to see.
TB

Old 05-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Alex7403

TB,
Why don't you build another one chippy or even better Ultra Sport 60, IMHO the US 60 builds easier, faster and flies even better.
Either way put a US 60 on your build list.
My chippy went into the ground because of elevator dead stick, very sad (I didn't get totally out of it yet).
If you need an ARF([:'(]) airplane to fly this season with your DLE 20 consider the GP revolver 70", I see how they fly at our field and I continue building.

Alex
Old 05-28-2011, 07:20 PM
TonyBuilder

ORIGINAL: Alex7403

TB,
Why don't you build another one chippy or even better Ultra Sport 60, IMHO the US 60 builds easier, faster and flies even better.
Either way put a US 60 on your build list.
My chippy went into the ground because of elevator dead stick, very sad (I didn't get totally out of it yet).
If you need an ARF([:'(]) airplane to fly this season with your DLE 20 consider the GP revolver 70", I see how they fly at our field and I continue building.

Alex
<xml><w:worddocument><w:view></w:view><w:zoom></w:zoom><w:donotoptimizeforbrowser></w:donotoptimizeforbrowser></w:worddocument></xml>
Alex, I just finished a giant scale chippy so I wanted to change things up with this little chippy. I flew the chip-air Thursday and it flew great. I did not get to fly her much, the engine was running rich and I brought her in and forgot to switch to high rates and ran out of elevator at about two feet off the deck and she dropped and the LG block sheared clean off. Very minimal damage and I glued in stronger blocks and she is ready for a day of fun flying.
TB

Name:	Li20940.jpg
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	1616072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99671.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	1616073  
Old 05-28-2011, 07:26 PM
TonyBuilder

I am doing some detail work on the chip-air, stripping and maybe some graphics, not sure yet but she is looking better with some more detail work.
TB

Name:	Ki18201.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1616074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89179.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1616075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45754.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1616076  
Old 05-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony, know of any good book for basic beginning air brush work??
Old 06-04-2011, 05:37 PM
TonyBuilder

I have had a chance to fly the chip-air, it flies great. The retracts are fun and the DLE20 screams. Landings are easy as the original chippy, three point landings are even easier then before. The gull wing has more area so it floats better. I loved the GB chippy, but this plane is out of sight!

TB