Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

oz cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 AM
shark again

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oz cover

A long time ago, (10 years?) I had gotten someiron on covering called Oz Cover, from Australia. Some guy in Michigan was selling it. Itwas clear- took paint real well and was pretty darn tough. They also had Rhino Cover which was sort of pearly white. Does anybody remember this stuff - is it still available? I have an Ace 4-120 that I had covered with Oz and painted yellow and red - it still looks good.
Jim S.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:46 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: oz cover

I remember that stuff. I got some with a OZ homecut kit I bought on ebay, I sold it all and never used it, but I wondered if it was any good. I know a guy once told me you could paint clear Monokote too.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also bought and used Oz cover. I liked it and tried to buy more but it went off the market. A very good product but I do not believe it is any longer available. If it is, please give the source and price, I'd like to get some more.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Theres one I have never seen or heard of? You can paint any covering if you just rough it up a bit with sand paper.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

I have some that I bought from Art Grabow, Sr. over 10 years ago and have never used it. Maybe one day I will come up with a plane that it will be suitable for.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:24 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I used it quite a bit, but the Importer (Art Grabow) passed away a few years ago and I don't believe anyone else has taken up selling it. I think I use to buy Oz LIte, which was very light. I did know a couple friends that had used it, had paint lift when removing the tape for multiple colors.

He use to also import Ceramic piston/sleeves that were suppose to perform and last much longer than the stock one. I wasn't impressed, and it cost as much as the motor to begin with.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: daven

I used it quite a bit, but the Importer (Art Grabow) passed away a few years ago and I don't believe anyone else has taken up selling it. I think I use to buy Oz LIte, which was very light. I did know a couple friends that had used it, had paint lift when removing the tape for multiple colors.

He use to also import Ceramic piston/sleeves that were suppose to perform and last much longer than the stock one. I wasn't impressed, and it cost as much as the motor to begin with.
The cermamic sleeves I do remember, never tried one though.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:38 PM
mboland

OZ Cover is long gone. The guy's are no longer in business.
I was helping our LHS move to a bigger shop and spotted a couple of rolls so immediately grabbed them both.
It is tougher and lighter than any of the current crop of coverings, and applies and sticks well.

Pitty
Old 08-05-2011, 12:58 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember the stuff. It took paint very well. I still have a couple of rolls I am hoarding. great stuff.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:55 PM
rhshel

Me and Sam used Oz cover to cover a couple of Bradi Big Bee's. That was the first time I used it. No need to use primer. It took Yellow Klass Koat perfectly and the fuse I used Klass Koat Blue. I was and am impressed with Oz cover. It holds its position even in Tucson's summer heat. That big wing is just as taunt now as when it was first finished with Oz cover. Art Graybo died. But I've tried many times to obtain where the stuff was mfg. I even called a guy I know in Darwin Austraila. No such luck. I wanted to become the US distributer of Oz cover I liked it that much!
Old 10-08-2011, 05:59 PM
rhshel

I just scratched built another Pica Rapier and am putting a S.T. 75 on it. I cut out all the parts and used Oz cover over the wing. I'll use Klass Koat over the wing and fuse.
KlassKoat is the closest thing to the old two part K & B . Good paint and the Oz cover takes it just great without primer!!