Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Extra 300S .60 Kit TIPS

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Extra 300S .60 Kit TIPS

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 04:36 AM
gmmolina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Extra 300S .60 Kit TIPS

Hello everyone. I just received a Great Planes Extra 300Skit as a gift and look forward to starting it soon (http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0236.html). I have read through the manual and it appears to be well written.

1. I was hoping to get some input from builders who have completed this model. I am looking for any building tips or recommended improvements. One thing I have noticed is the tailwheel, I am a big fan of the Sullivan Tailwheel Bracket (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXFV48&P=8) so will likely be switching.

2. What engine did you install on yours? I am looking at either at .91 2 stroke or 1.20 4 stroke.

Thanks and happy flying!

Gabriel

Old 09-03-2011, 04:50 AM
Andrewmc

Default RE: Great Planes Extra 300S .60 Kit TIPS

I replaced the tailwheel with an Anderson tail wheel but upon reflection the kit tailwheel is not bad.

I fitted a saito 125 to mine which turns 16x6 APC. For the fuel tank I used a 16oz Dubro. The only significant structural modification I made was to add some additional rudder area. Many others have added counterbalances to the elevator as well.

This plane is a fantastic flyer - ground handling is easy and straight and manoevers are pretty much what you want to do - not so much 3D though.

It can build quite heavy if you add too much extra stuff but if you can keep the weight around the 8lb mark it will fly great.

Lots of build photos and stuff if you want info anything in particular.

Enjoy

Andrew
Old 09-03-2011, 05:02 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Lots of good tips in the various build threads. Definitely bend the fuse side around a coffee can or something to prebend it before gluing the first former. I did not do that and it was a pain to get it to bend. The Sullivan tailwheel works great, it's what I used.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:42 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I found this kit to be very light. I used a YS91AC and it was almost too much power!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:11 AM
LargeScale88

Theres a guy at my field with a 61 2 stroke and it has more than enough power.

Jason
Old 09-04-2011, 02:01 PM
chemie

ST-90 and just right for power
Old 09-04-2011, 08:35 PM
brenthampton79

I put a dle 20 on mine with a 3 blade 15x7 ma prop, I also installed a tme smoker too, I think it flies great and I love the dle, you should consider the dle as an option. I posted some stuff in another guys build thread that he also installed the dle on. There should be a link to my YouTube video as well his if you want to see them in action, or you can search it on there mine is red and white with blue trim. I built mine stock pretty much except I installed mini high torque servos to save weight, they are pretty reasonable price wise for what you get, they are cs-115 hobbico digital servos, check them out on tower.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:30 PM
matadco
My Feedback: (1)

Just ordered one and receoved it in 3 days. Fastest shipment I have received from Tower. They are currently having what I consider a great sale on the kits. Mind did not come with an instruction booklet but called Tower on Friday at it arrived Tuesday. Anxious to start but weather finally turned fantastic so may take a while to get me away from the field into the shop.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 AM
matadco
My Feedback: (1)

Tower sent the instructions so I could start gluing stick together. So far it seem like a slow build. Spent hours last two days and only got the stab and elevator done Lot of measuring, cutting, fitting and sanding. Building reminds me of the stick builds back in the 40s. I would not recommend it as a first build.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:05 AM
Gabriel.Vvi

Hey guys :

This kit has been discontinued for a long time, but I would like to build one.
The only thing i'm looking for are the die-cut patterns plans. Does anyone have it or knows where I can find it ? I would be very happy to find it.

Thanks from france