Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

new work bench for me (PHOTOS ADDED)

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

new work bench for me (PHOTOS ADDED)

Old 09-24-2011, 11:47 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new work bench for me (PHOTOS ADDED)

I could have put this in the building board thread, but it might be a while before I completely finish this so I thought I'd start a new thread. A short description and a few pics of what I have so far.

I used 3/4 inch plywood for all the stringers as I can cut it laser strait, well all most strait and it will stay that way. The top will be another piece of 3/4 ply topped with 1/2 inch MDF. The bottom of the table top will be a stressed member out of 1/4 ply. Everything is glued and screwed together except the legs will be removable so it will fit through doors and if we ever decide to move in the future.... The table top size was influenced by the plan size of my upcoming 1/5 Zlin. The plans are 37 inches wide, so I settled on a 40 inch wide top. As I was building the support structure I made it 40 inches wide and then decided I needed a bit of an overhang to be used for clamping and such. So the top is now 42 inches wide Ya know a GOOD carpenter can cover his mistakes. The top measures 42 X 96 inches and the support structure is 5 inches deep. The legs are more ply with bracing to make them strong and light.

I'll post more as I get time

Ken

The photos didn't load as I expected so you get them as a bunch I hope the old "A photo is worth a thousand words" really works

Now I'm getting a "server error" I'll try to upload some later. Sorry Guys[&o]
Old 09-24-2011, 11:51 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new work bench for me (PHOTOS ADDED)

Sounds good. Don't forget the metal top for magnetic building!
Old 09-25-2011, 02:14 PM
kenh3497

OK, it "says" I successfully up loaded the photos I promised. The first one is the box that will hold everything together. The skinny brace is just there to keep it from racking until the top and bottom are on. #2 getting ready to drill the holes for the T-nuts to attack the legs. #3 is, yup you guessed it a T-nut LOL. #4 pretty much explains itself. #5 I'm cutting the top to width. 42 inches wide. I cut all the rails for the base and legs using the saw guide. I firmly believe you could build the whole bench in this manner with the addition of a framing square to guide the saw for cutting the short pieces. #6 & 7 Bracing up the legs and one leg finished. The long brace goes to the top. #8 The "inspector" making sure everything is going to plan. Actually I think she was looking at a bug on the floor LOL. And last but not least the bottom of the table with he top installed. The bottom is 1/4 inch Laun ply that is attached with construction adhesive and about 200, 1 inch staples. The top is just a "sub top" attached with screws 6 inches on center. I plan on buying a sheet of 1/2 inch MDF for the working surface. Because I used a lower quality grade of ply I went ahead and sanded the top a bit to make sure I took off the tops of the high spots. I had a 18 X 2 sanding board with some 36 grit on it I used for body filler on cars. Worked like a charm here too. All that is left to do is purchase a bit more ply and 2X4's to construct the shelf and help tie the legs together. I sat in the middle of the bench and it is VERY sturdy. I could feel very little if any flex when I bounced on the table. I weighed 229# this morning on the scale so I think it should be good enough. It turned out to be more of a project than I anticipated, but it should be a once in a lifetime project... I hope...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67263.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	1666073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52530.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	1666074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19531.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	1666075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf95866.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	1666076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh58372.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	1666077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iy36078.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	1666078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np18987.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	1666079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ji28287.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	1666080  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44125.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	1666081  
Old 10-02-2011, 02:58 PM
kenh3497

The bench build is complete. For what ever reason I decided not to glue the sub top on and it's a good thing I did. I had to remove it to be able to get it down the stairs to the basement[X(]. It did make it considerably lighter also. I changed my mind on the working surface. I reasoned that it had only to be flat and smooth. I opted for "particle" board. It has a pretty smooth surface and was about $10 cheaper than the MDF. Using the sub top gives me the option of using what ever suits my fancy. Steel, Homosote (sp), or any other thing can be used at a whim. Only four screws hold the particle board on. I added a shelf on the bottom 32 inches wide and the length of the bench. It should give me storage for part of my supplies.

First order of business is to finish an OLD Sig kit. A Mustang 450. It has to be at least 30 years old as we have been married for 29 years and I bought it "sometime" before we were married. I glued the fuse sides together and that is far as I got[]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10611.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1669040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18313.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1669041  
Old 10-02-2011, 03:08 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

That ain't going anywhere

Make sure you level it diaganally before you start building anything on it,, Basement floors are rarely level, But Looking at that chop saw set up I can guess you knw what you're doing

looks good
Old 10-02-2011, 11:38 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good! But I'd still go with some cross bracing on those legs. You'd be putting a lot of stress on those joints wile sanding something on the bench.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:20 AM
kenh3497

I made double sure it was level in all directions. With the bottom ply being a stressed member, after the sub top is on it will stand on three legs with out sagging. I just had to shim the legs to make it not rock. My floor required 1/3/4 inches on the left front leg to shore it up properly!! Talk about an un-level floor. Serves me right for buying an old farm house. The bench seems to be plenty stiff with out any additional support/cross bracing on the legs. I can always add some if I feel the need.

Ken