Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Good news from Great Planes !!!

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Good news from Great Planes !!!

Old 10-22-2011, 05:55 AM
HFrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good news from Great Planes !!!

Hello all, I've just visited the TH site, and several discontinued kits (Ultra Sport 40, Dazzler, Slow Poke, Extra 300S .40) will be available again. I think they are very good news.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:29 AM
ma_mulcahy

Default RE: Good news from Great Planes !!!

I sure would like to see them bring back the Big Stick kits in .40 and .60 size. They are great performers and they go together FAST!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:46 AM
GAP-RCU

Interesting thread over in Warbirds about why so many ARFs are out of stock. A Horizon Director of Development even chimed in to give some broad reasons ([link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10772376]link[/link]). I wonder if some companies may now try to increase their kit selections (those who already have kit designs) so they can have some more diverse product to sell?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:26 AM
ma_mulcahy

I saw that post as well. If costs of ARFs are going up because of labor costs, etc, could it be that the spread between ARFs and kits will increase, again making kits financially attractive to hobbyists?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:33 AM
brenthampton79

This is awsome news on my birthday!!! I absolutley love the gp extra 40 kit matter of fact i've built five of them and number 4 and 5 are still flying. I will definately be buying a couple of the extra kits for stocking up with, I'll also be getting the ultra sport too since ive always wanted one to build and fly. I am very excited about this news, maybe they'll come out with some other kits soon too.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:20 AM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

I will be getting the slowpoke for sure, I always like to have a good slow Sunday plane in the hanger, plus I love the classic look of the fat fuse.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took a walk over to the ARF site and read page one. Perhaps this is going to be a good thing in the long run for kit builders but I do see the down side too. No ARFs {I saw they were calling them kits} means less pilots and less people buying all related RC equipment. Not a good thing. I know two of my LHS are trying to sell out. One just because and I noticed the other didn't have a lot of walk in people at all. Didn't have a lot of airplane items stocked either. As he told me, he can't afford to have a lot of inventory on hand collecting dust.
Who knows, maybe we will start getting some of the builders that went over to the dark side back. As long as we have plans and old templates we can keep building. Be nice to see the old kits come back too although when they were discontinued the prices for those boxes of wood were getting a bit out of site too. If they come out again it will be fun to see what the distributors think they are worth.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:06 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ma_mulcahy

I sure would like to see them bring back the Big Stick kits in .40 and .60 size. They are great performers and they go together FAST!!!

I don't think I have ever been so excited to agree with any post as I am to agree with this particular post!

BRING BACK THE BIG STICK KITS!!!!

Brian
Old 10-22-2011, 05:03 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

BIG STICKS...bring em back for sure. In the mean time a Slo Poke rocks.
John
Old 10-23-2011, 05:31 AM
mrshea

bring on the kit's
Old 10-23-2011, 05:36 AM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

I'd like to see them bring back the "Trainer Series" with the fully symmetrical wing.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:24 AM
ma_mulcahy

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

I'd like to see them bring back the ''Trainer Series'' with the fully symmetrical wing.
OH YEAH!!!!! After the Big Sticks, that would be my next choice.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:57 AM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope the Big Stick kits are available again. Also, I think we all need to order if/ when available to show them that there is a genuine interest. I say that in the hopes that more kit offerings will follow. The industry reps keep saying that there is not enough interest to warrant the tying up of the resources / inventory ( read that as kit just don't sale). I guess we have to prove them wrong. I want more kits!

turbo
Old 10-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Goran619

Agreed it would be nice if they would start releasing more kits. Lately I have found myself looking for a few discontinued Top Flite kits like the AT-6 Texan, FW109 and a couple others, not with the intent of building them anytime soon just so if I want to build them I have them available to me instead of hoping and praying that I could find one. I would be interested in a couple of those kits and I may buy 1 or 2 just to show there is interest out there.
Jordan
Old 10-23-2011, 08:58 AM
foodstick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As building labor, and shipping costs around the world rise, there is no doubt the feasibility of selling kits should improve. Also, if the windmill energy projects peak or decline it could make the balsa supply cheaper and of a higher quality...

I think in the end the real question will be how much of society will have the romantic view of aviation that keeps us in the sport hooked. and thats what sells airplanes..kits and arfs.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:50 PM
skyraider71

I have noticed ARF prices rising, and new ARF releases seem to be a bit pricey. Even some of the new foam stuff seems
to be over-priced. If this trend continues we may see an uptic in kit building, a good thing!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:13 PM
KC10Chief

I have built three Dazzlers and two Ultra Sports. The 40 and the 60. I still have both Ultra Sports and a Dazzler. All are excellent planes. The Dazzler isn't a cool new 3D plane. But it is a easy to build, tough and reliable airplane. The engine just hangs on the front end. It's super simple and never needs any maintenance. It's pretty zippy for what it is. Mine has a .46AX on it and it's been clocked at 85 mph. It slows down super nice and it's real easy to fly. I can land it on a dime. It hauls stuff too like my GoPro camera. It's awesome. I guess I'd better pick up another Dazzler kit to have on hand! My current one has several hundred flights on it.

My Ultra Sport 40 is an awesome machine as well. I have a Jett .56LX and some pneumatic Robart retracts on it. It is the fastest thing at my field by a long shot.

Here's an old Dazzler of mine that I had in the 90s.

My Ultra Sport 60. I built this one in 1999 I think. It needs a freshening up now.

My current Dazzler.

My Ultra Sport 40.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:34 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

bring back the Super Skybolt kit please
Old 10-24-2011, 03:53 AM
ezflyer

wow what great news for someone just getting back into the hobbie. i got it all figured out now. i love to fly, but love building even more. so i will use my talent to produce a craft for the ones who cant. weather its me flying it or someone else, there is nothing like seeing your own product flying in the skys
Old 10-24-2011, 05:12 AM
HFrank

Hey KC10Chief, that Black/Yellow/red Dazzler looks like an ultra sport PLUS, doesn't it ?? BTW your black/red US 40 is a piece of beauty.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:49 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

Hope they bring back the Super Sportster 40 and Sportster Bipe 40!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 AM
crash bandicoute

bring back the super skybolt and US40+. i'll save my lunch money for them. there's always a BARF on ebay that looks like the US40+, but i ain't into all that jazz. probably chinese anyway...
Old 10-24-2011, 01:15 PM
HFrank

If GP brings the Tracer back, I'll order one for sure. I want a pattern plane in the .46- .55 range.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:25 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Tracer was meant to replace the Ultra Sport. In two words, it didn't.

If you want a pattern plane, try an Ultra Sport
Old 10-24-2011, 01:59 PM
HFrank

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

The Tracer was meant to replace the Ultra Sport. In two words, it didn't.

If you want a pattern plane, try an Ultra Sport
Hello Minn, could the US40 be really considered a pattern plane ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.