Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Corsair2013
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I will also try and automate my pilot in my 1/4 Cub -

Here is a video of an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGVteelff4o

Keith
Old 01-04-2015, 10:35 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bird, I must bow to the master builder... you have more patients than a saint... very clever use of the tank "facade"... do you still have the cub, or did you mention in the past it was built for some else... I'd like to see some finished photos of it, just to put everything you showed us into perspective.

I have one of those weller solder stations with the variable temperature control... I've used that with a flattened copper machine screws for the tip and formed into various shapes to get into tight places.. I just kept turning up the temperature until it activates the heat sensitive glue on the back of the covering, or use one of those IR temp sensor guns to dial the temperature in... those weller hold their temperature well, but the dial is very sensitive to set because of the wide heat range... to seal inside corners, I flattened the screw real good and folded the flat part into a corner shape... it works very well.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 01-04-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:46 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by Corsair2013
I think I will also try and automate my pilot in my 1/4 Cub -

Here is a video of an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGVteelff4o

Keith

That's pretty clever,very realistic ... now if they can figure out a way to animate him so he reaches up to pull in flaps on the landing approach.

John M,
Old 01-04-2015, 10:52 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=John_M_;11954342... I've used that with a flattened copper machine screws for the tip and formed into various shapes to get into tight places..

John M,[/QUOTE]

Bird, I too would like to see the finished product(s) I am in awe of the workmanship and detail you have exerc9iised. That applies also to John M. and the other artists on this site. Thank you all for your sharing.

I have split the tip of a soldering pencil with a very fine saw and then inserted a #11 xacto blade into the slot. The resulting heated blade has proven handy for "cutting" film and fabric in tight places where I did not to apply a lot of force to the cutting action.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 01-04-2015, 11:01 AM
John_M_

Sapceworm, that is ingenious... I never thought about making a hot knife like that, and I was right there doing something similar, but never dawned on me... that idea will come in handy for sure... just goes to show how one person thinks differently than another.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 01-04-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:38 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all cub brothers, my club ARCA is going to be holding our third annual Cubs n Cosines fly in. We started this a couple years ago as just a bunch of club members that really enjoy flying Cubs, and there high wing cosines. We would do a potluck lunch and just have a great time. It has been growing as more people learn about the gathering.
I would like to invite any and all that would like to shear in the fun and gathering. The date is set for March 28th. In Austin Texas. If you are in town or on tour with your planes, stop by and have a great day flying with your Cub brothers.

TB
Old 01-04-2015, 04:37 PM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by John_M_
Bird, I must bow to the master builder... you have more patients than a saint... very clever use of the tank "facade"... do you still have the cub, or did you mention in the past it was built for some else... I'd like to see some finished photos of it, just to put everything you showed us into perspective.

I have one of those weller solder stations with the variable temperature control... I've used that with a flattened copper machine screws for the tip and formed into various shapes to get into tight places.. I just kept turning up the temperature until it activates the heat sensitive glue on the back of the covering, or use one of those IR temp sensor guns to dial the temperature in... those weller hold their temperature well, but the dial is very sensitive to set because of the wide heat range... to seal inside corners, I flattened the screw real good and folded the flat part into a corner shape... it works very well.

John M,
Well John, I don't know about the master part! That has something to do with baiting a hook on a sea going fishing boat, It's when you become the head baiter! hehe!
I have few finished photos. As you mentioned, I did build it for a friend. He took many stills of it when we flew it June 2013 but he hasn't gotten them to me as of yet! I think I have some video of it if I can figure out how to put it on here. I didn't put it on YouTube and have heard what a night mare it is to do.
As far as patients goes, I have patients with inanimate objects but little tolerance with many people. Something to do with my PTSD. Which I did get a service related rating on the last day of the year, the other day. They gave me 10% and didn't give me any financial compensation! HAPPY SCREW YEAR BIRD! THIS BIRD IS FOR YOU! Really P-I-double-ISSED me off! I'm appealing it. 44 years of putting up with this personality disorder is worth some money! I finally put into words what happens when you get PTSD. 'Going from benevolence to a--hole!' It happens over a long period of time and so slowly you don't know what it is until it grabs you by the throat! It's a tough thing to deal with. My modeling gives me something to do with my hands and mind and never questions who or what I am. Or who else I've been with! Believe it or not my wife is like that too. Sweet girl of 28 years this coming May.
So, anyway, back to the cub, I actually put the throttle servo behind the right side of the instrument panel and made an extension cable to route to the firewall down and under the floor board back to the radio compartment. I cut most of the servo leads down and re-plugged them to cut down on the wire in the radio compartment. It was a real bundle with all the 'y's and all. looked like a squirrel's nest for sure! All in all, it turned out nice. I did rib stitching and taping and would love to tell you how I did it when you are ready for it. Pretty simple way and no gluing anything. Just lay down a strip of stitches and cover with rib tape.
My friend and I are about to get back on his full size Stearman. We have to replace the spars on all sections of four wings and cabain center section. They didn't line up with all of the connecting hardware and found out that the wing kit manufacture had drilled all of the holes wrong! the pins would not line up! This is after we had all of the ribs and hardware on and the doublers for mounting hardware in place. Fortunately we didn't have the LE or TE or five spreaders in place or any of the trammeling wires done! It is quite a chore to trammel a wing. It can take up to ten hours or so going back and forth!
Did you know that a Stearman can sustain 12 G's? You can't get it anywhere close to it but if you could it would! They are really tough!
Well, that's enough for now.
Later.
bird.
I curled the edge of the aluminum over a piece of wire with a screen roller with a groove in it. Again, Roof flashing. It doesn't dent real easy either. It is one piece split in the middle on the bottom and screwed together and down to the 18th ply bottom hatch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1171.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	4.33 MB
ID:	2060697   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1173.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	4.57 MB
ID:	2060706  
Old 01-04-2015, 05:11 PM
John_M_

Bird from what I can see of those last two pictures, it came out very nice... I would have a hard time parting with that after putting so much luv into it... you are more of a "master" than you know, I can see you are very dedicated and enjoy building... and is good therapy for the mind.

Regarding the video, I don't think RCUniverse hosts videos, so you would have to upload it to youtube, or vimeo or some other video hosts site... but don't sweat it bird, when you get the pictures from your buddy, just post them, no pressure.

That sucks about the Stearman spars, I'd be pissed after replacing them and finding out the manufacture screwed up... but I suspect both you and your friend will enjoy working together on that project re-replacing the spars again... that's one thing I would enjoy immensely, is to refurbish an old classic bi-plane, or even a piper cub, I mean a full tear-down and rebuild, I would be in my element... would be a great retirement project... I've had a look at those full sized CubCrafter Sport Cub kits, and boy would that be a lot of fun, but I don't think Obama's gonn'a let me enjoy my retirement to that extent.

That's BS Bird, you deserve compensation for what you endured during your service years and the trauma you went through with your PTSD... that was a hell hole you went through and you deserve better... I hope the appeal goes well for you.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 01-04-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:39 PM
bigbird3

Thanks John you are very kind. Yes it was hard letting go of it but I got 3600 bucks for my labor of 300 hours at 12 an hour!

The stearman parts will be a free replacement. We picked a stearman project up in K.C. Kansas. It was partly assembled with no engine or cockpit equipment. Just wings, tubing fuselage, tail feathers and landing gear. We are going to use the wings for the working Stearman. We already refurbished the original wings and covered them. They are stitched and poly sealed. The Stearman is a navy version with metal fuse top, sides and bottom. My buddy Hank here in the last one. The first one shows the damaged area where rat piss destroys wooden wings. Second one shows damaged rib and third shows damaged spreader. A result of a hangar collapsing on the plane and the previous owner just got on a ladder and did surgery! He just bridged the collapsed rib and covered it up! We put a new spreader in, which elongated the rib and put in new sections of 5/16ths square spruce. the leading edge was full of mud dobber nest! must have been five pounds or more in each wing. Not much to the leading edge or the wing! Spars do all the work and flying and landing wires. The landing wires are the ones coming from the top at the root of the wing and the flying wires are the ones that come from the bottom out to the 'N' struts. As far as I'm concerned, they are all flying wires because without either..............................your don't fly................very far! hehe!

Okay, back to cubs! Just pretend you didn't see this!
It was converted into a crop duster for many years and then restored back to it's previous glory.

As far as PTSD, I also have Bernie Sanders our independant state rep.here in Vermont. He is a staunch VA supporter and if you go to him and there is something that can be done he will get on it like a hound dog on a ham bone!

bird.

Name:	MVC-001F.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	2060884   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-013F.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	2060885   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-014F.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	2060886   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-018F.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	2060887   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-019F.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	2060888   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-017F.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	2060891  

Last edited by bigbird3; 01-04-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:19 PM
bigbird3

the only stills I have at the field on maiden day.

bird.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:52 PM
John_M_

Originally Posted by bigbird3
the only stills I have at the field on maiden day.

bird.
Bird I get an "Invalid Attachment specified" error message when trying to view those images, maybe something went awry during the upload.

BTW... I just ordered some "Beadalon" brand, 0.024 and 0.036 49 stranded, nylon coated, stainless steel beading wire for pull-pull setup... they make even smaller dia, down to 0.006... very flexible and strong... and yes I was back at joann's

Boy you got to luv working on the stearman, I'm very jealous !

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 01-05-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:45 AM
bigbird3

Let's try this.
It takes several minutes to upload images of the cub but the Stearman went up boom, boom, boom. Don't understand. Cub Phobia?
bird.

Name:	invoice 259.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	2061037   Click image for larger version

Name:	invoice 260.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	790.9 KB
ID:	2061038  

Last edited by bigbird3; 01-05-2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:20 AM
acerc

I don't know about the Stearman Bird, but these Cub photos are huge. I reduce mine to about 1200x800 pixels before posting them, those cub pics are 3000x1950. That's takes time to load.

Last edited by acerc; 01-05-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:48 AM
John_M_

Bird that came out nice!... all that's missing is a pilot figure... I like the laminated prop, classic look.

Ace, my old Pentium III computer loads those images in couple seconds... my new I7 system takes 5-6 seconds, and it has 8 time as much memory... figure that one out!

***EDIT***
I'm referring to loading for viewing, not uploading to RCU... uploading depends on the load on RCU's servers, and their QOS settings for each member.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 01-05-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:26 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by John_M_
I'm referring to loading for viewing, not uploading to RCU... uploading depends on the load on RCU's servers, and their QOS settings for each member.

John M,
Gotcha!
Old 01-05-2015, 01:08 PM
John_M_

I have a 10m/bit/s upload speed, and sometimes it takes me a while to upload the bigger images... I'm computer savvy enough to know its not on my side, so RCU is limiting bandwidth... I've noticed over the past few months, RCU has gotten real sluggish at times, sometimes in a total stall while selecting the different forums to view during peak times when the forums are flooded.

I started to crop the images to keep the file size down, and to keep as much detail in the images... resizing on certain images, you loose some detail, but 1200x800 is a fair size... I remember having trouble with 1024x768... that was back in the days of dialup and 256kb/s DSL, lol.

I've been fortunate in my aging years to still be able to keep up with the technology... a lot of it has to do with being in the auto industry, and keeping my mind working... and I'm again fortunate to not have any signs of any genetic disorders like Dementia, or Alzheimer... my only short coming is my nearsightedness, which is the worst eye disorder to have over farsightedness, especially in this hobby.

John M,
Old 01-05-2015, 04:33 PM
TonyBuilder

RCU has been very difficult in the last few months, RCG is light speed ahead compared to RCU now days Definitely not your computer as I struggle to post, read and upload on this site.

TB
Old 01-06-2015, 07:25 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

RCU always seem to have an issue between 8:30 AM and (:00 AM Central every morning. I'm guessing they are doing a backup or server maintenance.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:16 AM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
RCU always seem to have an issue between 8:30 AM and (:00 AM Central every morning. I'm guessing they are doing a backup or server maintenance.
You guys in 'central' are always 'centered'! Us on the east coast eat, sleep and rise before the rest of you. Glad I don't live in Fiji! They do everything absolutely first! LOL! Really glad it doesn't really work that way, aye? I can say 'aye' now that I live sell than a hundred miles from the Canadian border! Aye? Aye? Aye? hehe!
Whew!
bird,
Aye?
Old 01-06-2015, 08:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

Actually I work remotely from home on Eastern time. (Insert Bronx cheer here)
Old 01-06-2015, 09:53 AM
shiprex

I don't know about being centered but today we are freezing our toucas off and tomorrow we are looking forward to a high of five. Either above or below it really won't matter because the wind is supposed to blow too!! Gotta love the central plains..
Old 01-06-2015, 12:20 PM
John_M_

Here in California we had it drop down to 28 degrees around New Years and we woke up with 1/4" inch of frost on the roof tops... burned the lawn and several of our shrubs and bushes.

Ok what do you guys think of this stuff for pull pull use... the 49 strand is constructed very similar to the 49 strand fishing leader... its sterling silver plated 304 stainless steel strands wrapped up into 7x7 bundles, all twisted together... comes in other colors (of no interest to me other than maybe black), brite, or stain finish.

The 49 strand is very flexible, like limp spaghetti... my intention was to use in to animate the flight stick as mentioned previously, it will go around small pulleys with no problem, unlike the STD dubro pull pull cable, is just too stiff.

The 19 strand is a bit less flexible, but more flexible than the STD pull pull stuff... I think the 19 strand is probably more suited for control surfaces... the only unknown factor is stretch.

Both only cost about $13 bucks for a 30 ft roll.

http://www.beadalon.com/bead_stringi...ard_colors.asp
and
http://www.beadalon.com/bead_stringi...ard_colors.asp

John M,
Old 01-06-2015, 12:35 PM
FlyerInOKC

John what is stretch properties like? Generally a necklace will stretch over time when a pendant is attached, this is not something you want in a pull-pull system.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:28 PM
John_M_

That's the only unknown factor... I believe its the same stuff as the stainless fishing leader, its got the same spec's and similar price range... I've ordered a 30 ft roll of both the 0.036 and 0.024 49 stranded stuff... joanns had the 19 strand in stock and its nice stuff... of course I couldn't unroll it and try stretching it, but I like the feel of it over the STD Dubro pull pull stuff... I'm going to try the 49 strand on the flight stick animation setup first and see how it holds up, its a non critical function, so no harm will come if its stretches, but it reminded me of the heavy gauge fine stranded speaker cable, super flexible, should go around small sheaves with little resistance.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 01-06-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:58 PM
TonyBuilder

Steel cable covered with plastic has worked best for me!

TB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.