Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Old 02-11-2014, 08:52 AM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be willing to Guinne pig it after I first build your J3.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the plans for sale on my site in the store front. The J3 is just my modified L-4 plans.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:25 AM
stevegauth30

Originally Posted by Cub Man
I have the plans for sale on my site in the store front. The J3 is just my modified L-4 plans.
I'll either be ordering a set Thursday, or next Tuesday, depending on what bills my wife says need to be paid. She's the boss.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:57 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
besides flaps and cowl, what are the other differences in the super cub?
Lots of little things, the cockpit / instrument panel... dual wing tanks... Landing bungee covers... I believe it has a higher HP engine...nav / landing lights... I think it has a scotts dual fork tail wheel (forget the model#)... as other have mentioned about the tail feathers... just a bunch of stuff.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 02-11-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added
Old 02-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Sgt. Meyer

Hi, fellas. I've been lurking here, just to see what I can learn. I haven't posted yet because my only Cub is a Sig 1/6 kit I bought in the late 70's or early 80's. It is still in its box. But a friend and I rebuilt a 1941 J-3 with a 65 hp Continental back in about 1975. We owned it for 5 or 6 years before we sold it. Just before the prices started going up. So I am a ligitimate Cub fan, even though I have never built or flown an RC Cub.

But a friend in the club gave me a Goldberg Cub the other day. I'm not sure how he came into it, but it was really out of place in his shop. It was poorly built, poorly covered, and obviously poorly flown. I have to take the covering off and do a lot of sanding and patching, replace the cowl and windshield, rebuild the landing gear, etc., but I don't plan to make it real nice. I just want to be able to take it to the field without having to put a sign on it, "I didn't build this!" Nice will be reserved for my Sig kit. If I can ever get around to building it.

I have a question: Was the Goldberg "Anniversary" model introduced to replace an earlier model? To add an additional Cub to the stable? In other words, are there other Goldberg Cubs out there other the "Anniversary" model? I have a restorable model here, but I know very little about it.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Cub Brotherhood #188
Old 02-11-2014, 11:59 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt. Meyer
Hi, fellas. I've been lurking here, just to see what I can learn. I haven't posted yet because my only Cub is a Sig 1/6 kit I bought in the late 70's or early 80's. It is still in its box. But a friend and I rebuilt a 1941 J-3 with a 65 hp Continental back in about 1975. We owned it for 5 or 6 years before we sold it. Just before the prices started going up. So I am a ligitimate Cub fan, even though I have never built or flown an RC Cub.

But a friend in the club gave me a Goldberg Cub the other day. I'm not sure how he came into it, but it was really out of place in his shop. It was poorly built, poorly covered, and obviously poorly flown. I have to take the covering off and do a lot of sanding and patching, replace the cowl and windshield, rebuild the landing gear, etc., but I don't plan to make it real nice. I just want to be able to take it to the field without having to put a sign on it, "I didn't build this!" Nice will be reserved for my Sig kit. If I can ever get around to building it.

I have a question: Was the Goldberg "Anniversary" model introduced to replace an earlier model? To add an additional Cub to the stable? In other words, are there other Goldberg Cubs out there other the "Anniversary" model? I have a restorable model here, but I know very little about it.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Cub Brotherhood #188
Steve,

The Goldberg Anniversary Cub was intended to be a limited run kit to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the J-3 Cub. Goldberg seeing such a high demand for this kit kept it as part of their permanent line up. And the rest is history! I for one am glad they did its a great airplane.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:13 PM
stevegauth30

Why wouldn't you want to make it look nice? If your going to go as far as what you described, you might as well make it into a really nice cub. Just my two cents.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:59 PM
John_M_

Just a quick one... my brother inlaw just finished up the cockpit panel... its not a representation of any one particular RW cub... he got the images of the gauges from google, then scaled and printed them out on photo paper.

John M,
Old 02-11-2014, 01:19 PM
FlyerInOKC

John did he make the panel too or just the gauges?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:32 PM
John_M_

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
John did he make the panel too or just the gauges?
Well what my inlaw did was to make the panel out of 1/32 plywood; then sand paper was glued to the surface, then painted with black simi-gloss krylon paint... the gauges are the older style J-Tech gauge bezels, that had the molded rings (now all they give you is a flat clear piece of plastic).

John M,
Old 02-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Sgt. Meyer

Why wouldn't you want to make it look nice? If your going to go as far as what you described, you might as well make it into a really nice cub. Just my two cents.
I meant I didn't want to take the time to add any scale touches that weren't in the kit. Of course, I might re-think that. I'm going to have to remove and replace the tail surfaces because they were put on crooked. I have to rebuild the servo supports and control linkages and sand the whole thing. It looks like some reinforcements will be necessary in the cabin/wing saddle area. The fiberglass cowl is busted. The windshield and windows need to be replaced. Then I have to re-cover it.

I understand what you're saying. It WILL look nice, but I'm anxious to get it flying. My only flyable plane is a 40-year-old 3-channel Sig Klipper (it has been that long since I have flown, until just recently). I just want this Cub to be clean and straight. I might add to it later.

I saw a recent post about e-flight landing gear fitting a 1/5th Cub. I'd have to find out more about that. The Goldberg Cub isn't quite 1/5th size. the wingspan is only 76 inches. I believe 1/5th would be around 85 or 86 inches. But the two struts are not connected, so it would probably work regardless of the width of the belly. A scale-type tail gear would be simple enough.

Later,

steve.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:57 PM
stevegauth30

I see what your saying. I hope you didn't take that the wrong way. Sounds like no matter what you do it will look a whole lot better.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Sgt. Meyer

I see what your saying. I hope you didn't take that the wrong way. Sounds like no matter what you do it will look a whole lot better.
It's all good, brother. Actually, you are right. I'm having to put some time into it. The struts are gone, no window in the top of the cabin, a good time for new gear and a better Continental engine. And when I re-cover it, I'm going with the old small numbers like we put on our big one.

It won't really be any more time. Meanwhile, I'll fly what I've got.

I downloaded the construction booklet in case there is anything I can't figure out.

Maybe I can get started on it this weekend.

Later,

Steve

Cub Brotherhood #188
Goldberg Tiger Club #68

Last edited by Sgt. Meyer; 02-11-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys after my 20 years in the hobby, i have decided we have two types of flyers. The ones that wanted it yesterday flying, and the ones that will take it next week flying. A lot of my stuff is the take it next week flying with all teh scale details, but I do have a few wanted it yesterday flying planes. Nothing wrong with ether one.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt. Meyer
It's all good, brother. Actually, you are right. I'm having to put some time into it. The struts are gone, no window in the top of the cabin, a good time for new gear and a better Continental engine. And when I re-cover it, I'm going with the old small numbers like we put on our big one.

It won't really be any more time. Meanwhile, I'll fly what I've got.

I downloaded the construction booklet in case there is anything I can't figure out.

Maybe I can get started on it this weekend.

Later,

Steve

Cub Brotherhood #188
Goldberg Tiger Club #68
For a better Continental go here, http://www.topnotchkits.com/index_files/TN_Kit11.htm. There is nothing better other than Cubman's plans for building one from scratch.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:30 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by Cub Man
Guys after my 20 years in the hobby, i have decided we have two types of flyers. The ones that wanted it yesterday flying, and the ones that will take it next week flying. A lot of my stuff is the take it next week flying with all teh scale details, but I do have a few wanted it yesterday flying planes. Nothing wrong with ether one.
I think to fully enjoy the hobby one "has" to have both.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:39 AM
stevegauth30

All good points. I'm not one to knock anyone. Was just curious. Until somewhat recently, most, if not all of my planes, were " I want to fly it yesterday " planes. I'm only starting to care about details as of late.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:36 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got both! Love it! Couldn't live without it!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

The most important factor is whichever way you go it has to be fun!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:27 AM
John_M_

Well, if I'm understanding these comments correctly, that's what ARF & RTF are for... "ARF" are for the ones that wanted it yesterday flying... and a detailed build is for the ones that will take it next week flying, lol.

John M,
Old 02-12-2014, 11:25 AM
stevegauth30

RTF = fly today
ARF = fly tomorrow
KIT = maybe next week
SCRATCH BUILT= hopefully in a couple few years.
I guess it all depends on how many air worthy planes you have, and how long ones willing to wait.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:35 PM
John_M_

Oh yeah, ARF's, RTF's will keep you flying while you build your detailed projects... problem is you can't do both at the same time, lol.

John M,
Old 02-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Joey B
My Feedback: (4)

I have noticed my stick built kits last longer than my arfs maybe because I take better care of planes that took a year or more to build LOL.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:35 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by Joey B
I have noticed my stick built kits last longer than my arfs maybe because I take better care of planes that took a year or more to build LOL.
LOL! Yea! That's the reason.......
Old 02-12-2014, 04:46 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I noticed something last night about the SIG 1/5th kit. Everything on it is pretty close to scale, dimensions, etc, however... the cowl is no where near scale like, it doesn't even look like a Cub cowl. The GP ARF cowl looks mire scale like, even though the entire plane is no where near scale.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.